pro wrasslin'

1 Like

:astonished:

this would be pretty crazy to hear about in 1999, just like it would be similarly crazy to hear that both of those shows suck ass compared to the 3rd “training wheel” brand run by Triple H

1 Like

While I think that is a bit too much of a “looking to the past for answers” solution, if Vince is stepping a bit back due to the lead up to the XFL relaunch and they get at least enough pull to put their own stamp on the shows… I’m pretty sure they legit don’t like each other and it would drive them nuts to be seen as doing a worse job than the other. That could be an interesting dynamic to watch unfold if it doesn’t collapse immediately or the experiment is cut off before it gets off the ground, the latter of which is most likely.

I’m gonna be honest here, they have so much talent under contract that I want a third (fifth?) tiny brand/show given to Russo and thrown on youtube or the network just to see what kind of absurd trainwreck it would be.

i imagine that vince will still be micromanaging everything making this solely a pr stunt. i also think that kevin dunn is equally at fault for the moribund product, so even with better booking the production will still be unbearably stagnant.

Dunn is apparently off SD once it moves to Fox, so it has that in its favor.

I think you are right about Vince, but the whole XFL deal I think opens the door for them to be “just” managed as opposed to micromanaged.

I also just remembered the 205 Live exists, so they can give Russo that.

pretty sure that was the first instance of a videogame fighting stick being used as a foreign object in wrestling history

1 Like

i would be very surprised if that were the case. there’s a famous incident of a nes being used at an ecw show, at least

Someone in the crowd has a Def Jam FFNY sign.

1 Like

DDT had wrestlers compete against each other mid-ring in Fire Pro, i’m sure controllers had to have been used at some point.

the more i think about Cody’s unprotected chair shot to the head as a storytelling device, the more i actually really hate it?

like, i understand it’s a way to shorthand that this other ex-WWE dude who i just honestly don’t give a shit about (he counts to 10?) needed some quick heat, and i understand that Cody is absolutely hell bent on bleeding for the business at every one of these PPV’s, but like using this as an “unspeakable move” as part of a story build, when it’s something we all know that has dramatically shortened and ended the careers of other wrestlers (also uh destroying someone’s brain enough that it ended in murder/suicide?!?) and it kind of just personally makes me feel icky? even though the chair was gimmicked, they still fucked it up and took a chunk out of Cody’s head accidentally, so it just feels unnecessary. plus it seemed like it sucked the air out of the crowd after an otherwise stellar match! (i didn’t know anything about Darby Allen before this and now he’s a top guy to watch out for when the TV stuff starts).

i dunno i guess it seems weird to be off-put by this, while enjoying the main event which had a bunch of death match stuff in it, but that’s my personal feelings i guess! i do appreciate that they took the CTE stuff on the commentary pretty seriously.

(speaking of commentary, please bring Goldenboy back to call some matches and honestly, please use Jim Ross less. he’s an absolute legend and is uniquely positioned to elevate people like Darby into viewer’s minds but hearing him talk about the women’s division and referee made me want to dissociate)

otherwise this was a pretty good show! love how the women’s/joshi division is shaping up. love how goofy and dumb the video game shit at the video game tournament was. i think that tag match on the pre-show was INCREDIBLE and a good sign that they’re willing to put over lesser known teams and wrestlers. i appreciate that they kept most of the Fyre Fest parody jokes on the pre-show. i think the Mox/Joey match was very great and just the right level of “hardcore cringe” for someone like me (barbed wire in the back = fine, anything involving feet = NO NO NO) the Librarian stuff was really bad, i hope they work on that.

that Mox/Omega match is gonna kick a lot of ass.

1 Like

20 minutes into the Heyman Era and it’s already the best start to the show in literal ages

1 Like

I regret not catching Fyre Fest this year, I swapped my priorities with last year’s (seeing NJPW) and kept hearing about how bloody awesome this was like 400 ft away. The wait line added as kind of a deterrent.

some real pyro and serious cussin’ to let you know that they’re not messing around anymore

1 Like

i missed the cussing but i really liked the long uninterrupted shot of the local medical employees getting them on the gurneys to take them to the facility

i actually watched all of Raw, which is something i haven’t done in…years?

certainly some weird stuff (Gallows & Anderson basically being Trailer Park Boys characters, Maria Kanellis saying Becky Lynch should impregnate her in some kind of cucking angle, R-Truth basically going full Daffy Duck) but like, all interesting weird stuff, and some actual good wrestling on the wrestling show. how novel!

i dunno what AJ does to make those slaps sound like gunshots but it was great!

i even want to watch Smackdown to see if Finn joins this new Bullet Club they got. who knew that this show was capable of intriguing setups anymore.

what a sight this was i’m sure

1 Like

I shrieked at the DDT through a windshield.

G1 is so good

1 Like