PREY

I picked up Prey as part of the Steam sale. I’m enjoying the hell out of it so far! I’ve somehow never played an immersive sim before. It’s kind of blowing my mind. It’s like… a walking simulator… but with gameplay!?

Having just played Tacoma, the writing in this absolutely pales in comparison. I also kept on picking up objects and trying to put them nicely back in their place like you can in Tacoma, but in Prey you can’t do it – you just flail your arms around and the object tumbles onto the ground like you fumbled a football.

But the physics suit the gameplay and the writing isn’t terrible. The space station is the main draw here. I am loving exploring this space. The developers put a lot of thought into the ways you can traverse it. They’ve allowed for some positively stupid solutions to roadblocks, which I appreciate. Instead of just fixing a damn elevator, I used a glue gun to shoot big lumps of crud all along the elevator shaft and just clamber over them like a mountain goat.

4 Likes

pay attention to how they try to rehabilitate BioShock’s moral themes by working through how you accept responsibility for evils you didn’t know you committed. I like how reverent they are to all the genre’s touchstones, but are clear-eyed enough to critique in this case.

2 Likes

is anyone playing Mooncrash?

Prey is currently $15 on Steam. Skimming this thread, sounds like it’s worth finally getting around to buying it.

Thanks, sb hivemind!

I 100%d the DLC, highly recommended.

also half off on PSN for us potato owners. I’m excited to finally give this a run.

A month later I am. I picked it up over the weekend and proceeded to waste the rest of my free time on it. It’s fantastic!

I think I might give this another shot over the holidays

You might like Mooncrash in that it’s lean and mean, but it’s more of a “mode” than a small game itself like Death of the Outsider.

yeah, it’s in part that I’m so impressed with what I read about it that I want to try this

I understand that Mooncrash isn’t really designed to be played without the experience of the campaign though so I guess it’s time to be the first person ever to play this game purely because I’m interested in the DLC

I think Mooncrash is sold separately.

You’ve played these games before, and it’s not more than the best tribute since the original Deus Ex (this is no small feat and I do love it), so I don’t think you have anything to fear in just going roguelike other than the ripped-out native controller support in favor of steam integration which I haven’t bothered to fix the stupid thing

it isn’t (like Doolittle said, it’s thought of as a mode rather than as a mini-episode) but the whole shebang is only $25 right now, so

I’m also making tentative plans to play Prey over the holidays as well. Does anyone else have an Xbox X? Am I the only one? Is there an Xbox island thread I’m unaware of?

@notbov and @LWJoestar both have xboxes but I think they are xboxes non-x. I also have an xbox non-x. :man_shrugging:

I have a fatty Xbone

it matches my OG Xbox very well in the VCR aesthetic

1 Like

I have an XOX (that’s how I abbreviate the Xbox One X). I played Prey on an S but reinstalled it when I got the X. It’s sharper and nicer to look at. I haven’t played Mooncrash yet because I haven’t bought it because I had plans to play through the regular game again using only alien powers (I went pure human last time) but I haven’t got very far beyond starting the game again and getting to that first room you have to get to in the main hall.

Not that it matters any because I’ll just keep playing Red Dead 2 regardless.

2 Likes

The best thing about Mooncrash is that it’s an avenue to explore builds that you may not have considered through multiple runs of System Shocks and Deus Exes, the opportunity to scrape and improvise again.

The limitation is that, being expensive baked levels, they can’t change the space up much between runs, so they need to run it like HITMAN levels. It works…ok, but only in a time-limited context, they obviously don’t have the sequential cause-and-effect chains of HITMAN.

1 Like

yeah mooncrash is a wonderful addition, just getting to play with all these powers without committing to a full run.

i can’t wait to go back and do an alien only playthrough of the main game though

No man, the best thing is that it abbreviates as XBOX and it makes it even more confusing.

1 Like

it retained my savefile from when I pirated it to try it out like a year and a half ago so I don’t have to play the first 45 minutes again which I am extremely pleased about