PREY

this game is annoying because it is entirely too easy. like on nightmare I feel like I’m already this unstoppable juggernaut even though I’m basically just running around shotgunning everything. it has some of the same design problems as bioshock except that game actually made you sweat it out for a few hours before you become unstoppably overpowered.

I still like it a lot more than bioshock, because the writing and plotting is genuinely clever and engaging and the level design is excellent so far, and I’m loving all the subtle twists and turns so far. I just got past the first ethical dilemma the game throws at you (and it’s HILARIOUS to me that they actually put trolley problem memes in intro sequence to foreshadow this) but it’s honestly still so much more of a true dilemma than anything in bioshock.

something about arkane’s games just feel good to me. the movement is always so snappy and precise, and the audiovisual feedback is punchy without being obnoxiously loud (which is another problem I had with bioshock). there’s just a touch of system shock 2’s detached floatiness here but I feel like that’s appropriate for the style and setting, or maybe it just feels familiar in a good way.

I just wish this game had an actual hard mode. maybe I just was a scrub back when I played ss2 but I feel like it was actually difficult and punishing. am I wrong?

1 Like