Preserving Worlds

New episode is out now!

8 Likes

ghahahhaha oh my fucking god the dildo that if someone stuck up your butt youd have to get another dog to pull it out and it gave them karma points, but inserting it in another dog would make you lose karma hahahha

ALSO THIS WORLD MAP IS SUPER FUCKING CUTE

5 Likes

Lmao yeah, I could not believe my ears when he started talking about that dildo. I love his ultra dry comedic delivery on “…that did not make it past the first version of the game.”

3 Likes

his message at the end was really great too! WHAT A SHOW

2 Likes

It really was an outstanding episode, I was actually shouting “what” at my screen at some of the features, I can’t believe that game is real

3 Likes

New episode out now!!

Episode 4: Active Worlds - Cyberspace With a Human Face

pw204-icon

In the mid 90’s, a group called the Contact Consortium brought together technologists, scientists, and artists to try and shepherd early virtual worlds into the mainstream. We spoke with the group’s founder about the scene around the creation of the first virtual worlds, considering their early promise from today’s perspective.

This is one of our most ambitious episodes, and one where we really fuck with the format! Our interviewee had a ton of amazing archival footage from the early days of virtual worlds, and we got to use it throughout the episode in fun and interesting ways.

8 Likes

God damn I have some catching up to do

2 Likes

OH YES THIS IS THE EPISODE I WAS MOST LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS SEASON (YOU KNOW BESIDES THE OBVIOUS) I CANT WAIT FOR THE TECH UTOPIANS

omg his definition of killer app lololol

2 Likes

his excitement of ‘AH WIZARD!’, cuz he was going through a bunch of avatars he hadnt seen in forever into his reflective, ‘ah, thats more me right now cuz of my beard’ was just too goddamn sweet. i cant help but like this guy hahaa, he really reminds me of being in computer class in the 90s

the serpent… cyberspace…

3 Likes

New episode is out now!

Episode 5: Furcadia - We’re Still Running on One Machine

pw205-icon

The 1996 chat game Furcadia is still run by its original creators, and almost entirely staffed by long-time players. One of the game’s creators, Dr. Cat, tells us how they’ve cultivated a welcoming environment for the community’s unique demographics, and how they’ve kept it going as long as they have.

9 Likes

Special thanks to @scratchmonkey for connecting me with our guest for this episode!

3 Likes

MONDAYS ROCK

2 Likes

its so fucking great how you find people who really love what they made. like the joy in dr cats voice when hes like WE’RE FROGS! THIS IS GREAT!!! like buddy you’ve been programming the game for almost 30 years and it still makes you that happy! THATS FANTASTIC

they are super cute frogs though

THE LIVE BUILDING WHILE HE EXPLAINS HOW EASY BUILDING IS!!! BRILLIANT!!

5 Likes

gemstone mention
GEMSTONE MENTION!!!

3 Likes

Coming out on Monday, the episode that stars @daphaknee and features speaking appearances from a bunch of SBers!

Episode 6: Gemstone IV / Final Fantasy XIV - Now You’re Covered in Friends

The history of online games is short enough that some players have seen nearly their entire evolution first-hand. We spoke with one such player about their history with MMOs, from text-based worlds to the newest one we’ve covered, and met the members of a vibrant queer community they’ve built over the years.

10 Likes

this is cjrn:

8 Likes

One thing I very much enjoyed about filming FFXIV is the expressiveness of its avatars. More than any other game we’ve filmed, FFXIV characters can do SO much and express a nuanced range of emotions very clearly. We got a lot of mileage out of that! There are moments where the footage almost looks like we custom animated it rather than caught it in a game.

6 Likes

the best part was mashing FKJGDKFGJDFGJDFKLGJDKLFGJDLJFGK in the chat window constantly to make my mouth move

5 Likes

That ended up looking so cool in some of our shots!

4 Likes

when we were GETTING MARRIED!!! i was thinking about hte cool crowd noises the game starts playing when theres gatherings of people . . . idk i guess thats as far as i got on that one. im sure that makes it seem more lively or some shit. ff14 parties really do sound like parties tho

6 Likes