post your white noise generator settings

Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 9.41.34 AM

patch link

running this on laptop speakers at half volume to augment the air purifier and computer fan hum

4 Likes

monoprice headphone with laptop fan and space heater and nausea

4 Likes

I’ve just been using this video

2 Likes
2 Likes

My house felt really strange last night. Just had a weird idle to it and the vibe was off. Turns out I forgot to turn my air purifier back on after cleaning the filter!

2 Likes

as always my #1 white noise is my own tinnitus but an air purifier can be better for getting to sleep sometimes. usually i just try and put a boring podcast on for half an hour, but i end up getting invested and having to switch

2 Likes

Wrestling with my inner audio nerd demons on whether to post that if it has an EQ on it, it’s not white noise. Sorry but the demons have won

4 Likes

thanks for posting in my thread

4 Likes

fear of a blue planet
2022-04-23 10.48.07 mynoise.net b71a57a7fe7d

2 Likes

went some something river-like

Link

2 Likes

This is what ive been going with lately, might try to tweak it a bit at some point

2 Likes

considering different speaker frequency responses (not to mention ear architecture and (obv unknowable) sensory perception), EQ is the only way to actually hear white noise vs just intending to produce it. alternately: no one has ever heard white noise.

i think a lot about when i was researching coffee makers i came across someone on some barista forums replying to another poster that they “doubt you’ve ever actually had espresso” based on their own rarefied temperature/pressure/grind/extraction requirements. it can be your job and hobby and you can drink 30000 shots across the globe but achieving “espresso” to this barista is unlikely to ever happen given equipment restraints, time spent per order in busy commercial environments, calibration drift of grinders, and so on and so on. extremely aggressive posting and i was floored. the claimant was attempting to win an argument and was under the impression that they themselves had drank at least a few cups of the real stuff but i love that troll shit and will give them more credit than that and say that they are 100% correct: in the 120 years since the invention of the espresso machine, no human being has tasted espresso (both in the statistical sense and in real absolute truth).

i like to use https://asoftmurmur.com/ and crank most of it up high. my favorite setting is “coffee shop” which has clanking dishware and mumbled simlish. combining my love of that for what @eska says about podcasts, i am imagining a podcast blender that gives you samples of hundreds of podcasts, from a several seconds to a few minutes at max, that drift together to actually eliminate the urge to make sense of it. i cannot listen to podcasts but maybe with an aggressively smoothed eq, slowed+reverb+chopped+screwed even, i could have the idea of coherent human speech with none of the desire to follow it with my thoughts

maybe i want number stations

9 Likes

I see the demons are troubling you as well. When the old priest and the young priest are done over here I’ll send them over

7 Likes

Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 10.23.10

3 Likes

but my actual answer is the “brown noise” setting with animation set to subtle and animation speed set to highest. It sounds like wind and water in the abstract and I like it

1 Like

the fleming is my building. I have a personal white noise orchestra

8 Likes