Podcast Secret Level (podcast recommendations thread)

The Bancast

LOVE platformer series and Deltarune dev Fred Wood’s old podcast of 20s-something dude friends talking mostly about games.

The podcast has been deleted.

I dredged up I think 11 episodes from old versions of thebancast.com in archive.org (two of the episode links here were basically 404; some of the others took multiple tries): The Bancast – A podcast about introducing you to new things and making you laugh.

And some raw later episodes, and earlier let’s plays, survive on Wood’s YouTube channel ( youtube.com/@TheBancast ); I compiled them into a playlist:

These verge on bro-cast territory a few times but always manage to veer back into pretty true geek lands. Starts its ~8yr run pretty immature and gradually becomes slightly less immature.

It made for pretty okay background listening and I learned a few PS3/PS4-era game things I hadn’t known. And it was Wood’s professed love of the Sonic series that got me to take another look at those games.

RIP “Get to da Choppa” podcast, the latest gaming (this time merged with movie) podcast by UK retro gaming “podfather” Andy Godoy; its feed went offline a week or so ago after new shows gradually petered out; various bits remain on the YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/@Gettodachoppapod .

Godoy started with the 1HMPS Retro podcast, which quickly sort of evolved into Retro Asylum, which is still going under a pool of other hosts. After a little time away he was back single-handedly churning out several hundred episodes of the RGDS podcast, also still going under other hosts Godoy helped recruit. He also directly inspired the Australian “Arcade Perfect” podcast.

@Felix Valley Heat has a new episode. First one since June 2022 and it picks up right where it left off. Strangely enough, it’s on MaxFun now.

2 Likes

hell yeah, thank you!

Ten Pence Arcade Podcast just restored the first 125 episodes that had been missing from their RSS feed. : )

ive been downloading many of these seminaries from UC berkeley’s tang center for silk road studies in audio form to listen as podcasts and they are all great. makes me miss being in school, a little bit.

this recent, not listed on youtube as of yet, series of panels on political institutions and relations of the chinggisid (and subsequent eurasian dynaties’) courts is super fascinating

6 Likes

listened to a bunch of Respect the Dead which is about discussing awful people from history, now thankfully resting in piss. kinda like Behind the Bastards except sillier and gayer
its funny!! even when they touch heavy shit they keep it pretty light and focused on mockery. i liked all the hosts in advance from yt video essays, theyre likable and solidly leftist, its fun listening to them marvel at some of the absurdly clownshoes horrible things these people did, especially when theyre some weirdo i didnt know much about (like crack-smoking, perpetually white-girl-wasted ex-mayor of Toronto Rob Ford, or Gwen Shamblin the insane diet cult leader)

edit: alright holy shit i just listened to the Eugene Mulvehill/Action Park episode and i’d recommend that as the first episode to try. or at least read up on what a fuckin bonkers unsafe operation Action Park was. (I dont even want to spoil the reveal about the Cannonball Loop)

3 Likes

I’m listening to No Rangers Allowed and having a fantastic time. I had put it off because I didn’t think TTRPGs were for me, but I miss you all and it’s good to hear your voices. Eerie to listen to them from a time before we had met though…

7 Likes

Ttrpgs are for everyone!

Actual play podcasts are not though, that much is true.

3 Likes

no rangers allowed is great I wish there were more episodes

4 Likes

You and me both brother

1 Like

i recommended it to one of my coworkers when we were chatting about actual play casts the other day :wink:

1 Like

Another lost soul…

1 Like

Henry James, the 420-year-old loquacious elf, is whom I aspire to become one day.

1 Like