Podcast Secret Level (podcast recommendations thread)

The Endless was a cool movie. It feels flawed in the way all Benson/Moorhead movies do but there is an emotional core to their work that makes their sort of half-ironic ‘weird’ sf actually work

3 Likes

i can proudly say that i knew about that “yellow”

also the idea of hearing stuff from Geogaddi in a public place like that esp during a time when no one else is around at does feel like you’re inside someone else’s movie. whoever worked there was probably bored and had extra control over what was getting played because no one else was around.

3 Likes

i just want to bring up the pitchfork review of daft punk’s discovery that opens with the entirety of the lyrics to “one more time” and gives the album a 6.4

it is just the perfect encapsulation of pitchfork to me and I love it

2 Likes

also if you’ve never looked at the boards of canada fan wiki, it’s pretty incredible:

like some of this stuff is a bit of a stretch. but still… the dedication of Boards of Canada fans cannot be understated. lol.

1 Like

yeah, pitchfork’s absolutely ignorance of what makes music good perfectly encapsulates why they should never have been taken seriously.

1 Like

trying to not just make this into a thread about my podcast, but since a lot of people on here have expressed interest… the new Boards of Canada episode is up!

edit: also forgot to say that i mentioned a couple bits from above posts on this thread re: BOC on the podcast

3 Likes

I had a really great time listening to this! It’s such an abstract and evocative record that anyone who listens to it has their own very particular response to it. It was fun to hear yours!

Great editing. I enjoyed hearing the original sources of so many of the samples, and the recordings of the backmasked bits. I didn’t know about that interview with a prisoner in “A is to B as B is to C”. That’s so grim! So much of their sampling, even the creepy stuff, has a sort of fun, mischievous feel when you actually look into it, so it’s sort of jarring to learn that one of those samples is really that dark. But the album does have such a sinister aura, it’s not like it’s entirely out of place. Learning about that sample, and then hearing some of the clips you chose from other tracks after, especially Diving Station, I was actually starting to get a little creeped out in a way that the album used to creep me out when I first started listening to it. Bravo!

I appreciated the shout-outs too, lol. I’m glad your co-host liked my “preparation for a dive” joke!

That Blackalicious episode is going to be fun. That’s a cool album that I actually only heard for the first time in like 2019 when a music nerd friend of mine turned me on to it. Your co-host is right, that 00’s indie hiphop scene was really cool. I still like “backpacker” stuff and I am NOT ashamed. If y’all ever want to go back to that well again, Deltron 3030 to me is THE pitchfork-approved indie rap album of the 00’s. I still think it’s great! Oh and “Labor Days” by Aesop Rock probably fits right in too.

2 Likes

I do still like to have a little Quality Control, as a treat

new pod episode for those who care here i.e. @OneSecondBefore etc

i probably should just make a new thread for this

4 Likes

It bothers me that whenever I click on a podcast, It’s usually the last episode at the top and the previous N episodes in reverse order, and I can’t find a way to play from the oldest chronologically. Maybe that’s something I could do if I were using Apple or could download iTunes? I just want something that works like a youtube playlist where I can click the first one and it goes through them all, in order, without needing further involvement on my part.

2 Likes

It just depends what player you’re using. Most of the podcast apps I’ve used in recent years support oldest to newest play without too much fuss; I think the default sorting method is usually to play newest first, but that’s usually pretty easy to reverse.

1 Like

Ten Pence Arcade Podcast

Two British guys talk about old arcade games.

Bullet Time: A Youtube video essayist and friends go through old mid-tier/obscure FPSes

3 Likes

Overcast is a good app for this

3 Likes

https://archive.org/details/podcast_retrocollect-fm-retro-gaming_565818789

The longer-running UK gaming podcast Maximum Power Up started under the name RetroCollect. Focus on older consoles; it isn’t really anything new but they talk good, for instance I just enjoyed listening to them talk for three hours about the Shinobi series, which is not a series I’m particularly interested in playing or anything.

1 Like

valley heat

1 Like

I randomly checked this out and ended up really digging it. Been listening while doing chores this weekend and look forward to continuing while I work this week.

I don’t really listen to narrative podcasts except for a few D&D casts, and they probably shouldn’t count anyway. It’s loose and silly, sitcom sized and the narrative conceit of a dude podcasting about his suburban life/neighborhood is very effective and feels lived in. The host rehashes the plot often enough too. I’m up to episode 7 and things seem to be (valley) heating up.

2 Dudes and a NES

https://www.bitbrosnetwork.com/podcast

I skipped about 3/4th of the episodes due to them looping 8-bit game music in the background, or having a 2-year-old rampaging around the microphone or something, but when that stuff isn’t happening, those Tennessee accents and how they don’t take themselves too seriously make this one of the most easy-listenable game podcasts I’ve heard.

dunno if anyone on here knows or cares abt Dead Genre Chronicles but they’ve been reborn as Live Genre Chronicles and are starting up again on April 1st (unless this is some elaborate bespoke April fools joke targeting specifically me and the like 4 other people who care)

i really enjoyed DGC when it was around, and especially loved its spin-off series about RPG-maker games, so i’m v happy to see them return (:crossed_fingers:)

3 Likes

oh some of you may be aware of Becky AKA Eatthepen who is often a central part of why DGC is good and who recently wrote this p good lil essay (cheers @VastleCania for putting it on my timeline): cohost! - "A Hell of a Lot of Ocean"

2 Likes