plz rec some good android games

can we add these to the sb wiki
i liked hoplite and time surfer as per prev recommendations before

Iā€™m trying, but most people havenā€™t posted reasons why they recommend things.

I think in adolā€™s previous android games thread I talked about why hoplite was cool, but that was ages ago.

In any case, itā€™s a roguelike with solid tactical hex-based combat and interesting turn by turn movement choices, and basically none of the usual roguelike wiki binging that could be found in more maximalist games of the genre

Itā€™s fairly easy but itā€™s an addictive way to spend 5 minutes of my day when Iā€™m not doing something else since itā€™s a lot more stimulating than the usual time waster game.

Thumb Drift is a single-input drifting game where you slide your thumb to control the angle of your slide around obstacles. The graphics are 3D and very smooth and the skill ceiling is high (read: youā€™ll crash a lot). Plus itā€™s got an Outrun themed stage.

Reigns is a throne-sitting simulator with Tinderā€™s interface. People come to ask you, the king/queen, yes or no questions about how to manage the kingdom. You die quickly because your subjects are prone to regicide when things go south.

Cribbage with Grandpas is a cute cribbage game with a character creator for your opponent (your grandpa). My grandpa immediately fell asleep so I had to tap on him to wake him up. Highly realistic. Recommend if your grandpa plays cribbage and you have to stay sharp on the go.

3 Likes

DREAM QUEST DREAM QUEST DREAM QUEST

looks like butt itā€™s also the only real ā€œdeckbuilding done in a videogameā€ game I actually like

Not available on android :sob:

But itā€™s on steam! Dream Quest on Steam

I think thereā€™s a demo too. e: yep, mac and win here

A problem here is that I have an Ipad and am not sure what is also on Android. If I might be permitted to stray into iOs territory:

Snakebird: Easy to control and understand beautiful innovative v. hard puzzle game
The Room 1, 2, 3: Opening puzzle boxes the game
threes: A relaxing sliding puzzle math game
Out There: A superior version of No Manā€™s Sky
FTL: The quintessential action roguelike
Agricola: One of the best board games ever made and it has a 1 Player version and/or computer opponents and/or Async Multi
Twilight Imperium: Good Board Game
Suburbia: good board game that is better as a phone game
Splendor: Board Game
Hoplite: Traditional roguelike paired down into almost a puzzle
Layton Brothers Mystery Room: Havenā€™t played this but it is a layton game
Monument Valley: an art installation masquerading as a tilting puzzle game
Minecraft: I think the pocket edition is the best selling version of minecraft now
Hitman Go: Another slidy puzzle I hope people rip off the art style of
Super Hexagon: An arcade game for today
Plants vs. Zombies: Tower defense that is not fussy
Ridiculous Fishing: Kinda like a proto Downwell
Downwell: Arcade Game
Banner Saga: SRPG
King of dragon Pass: A Choose your own adventure taken further
Rebuild 3: Gangs of Deadville: Turn Based Strat game. One of my favorite games
X-Com: it actually runs
Pinball Arcade: Real pinball Titles. Good Physics
Zaccaria Pinball: Real but obscure Italian pinball tables
Machinarium: Beautiful Hunt and Click Adventure
Botanicula: Beautiful Hunt and Click Adventure
Samorost: Beautiful Hunt and Click Adventure
Worms: I bet there is some version of worms on there
Civilization Revolution: I personally donā€™t like this CIv but a lot of people do. Plays fast at least
Square-Enix has a lot of their stuff on the app store
Lone Wolf Saga: This is actually a port of a book if you can believe it
Telltale games: A lot of their stuff is on android
Dungeon Warfare: This Tower Defense game is just stupid fun

1 Like

Iā€™ve tried a few games based on recommendations here.

Thumb Drift is really cool! Very hard. Iā€™m really enjoying it even though I keep getting distracted by coins and then crashing.

Snakebird was too hard for me! I beat the demo levels over two days and felt exhausted. Really good puzzle game, but not for me!

Iā€™ve struggled finding any good games on Android that arenā€™t simply time wasters. I think I will try Dungeon Warfare though.

I still like Cave Rescue. I played it during an extended power outage a few years ago and it remains a favorite even though a bug kept me from beating it.

The bug that stopped me was that the blue animal in the lake respawned. I put a second copy in the hospital, which occupied the place intended for creature number 100.

I guess Quimdung doesnā€™t have an account on this new site.

Played the Android version of Luxuria Superbia and why the hell is there even a PC version??? Perfect handheld+touchscreen game.

I am going through all the picross games. Nemo Picross is the best so far. Kinda rips off the DS Jupiter-made one.
Some are really crummy. And Iā€™d much rather play them on 3/DS.

Iā€™ve been enjoying most of Dandy Dungeon but the plot is icky as fuck. Itā€™s one of those draw a path through the board over every square, but there and monsters and treasures and things.

New Fire Emblem came out, but I havenā€™t tried it yet~~~~

Also I play Miitomo alone with the Miis I made of Kyary Pamyu Pamyu and my cat : (

I played through Hidden My Game By Mom but those ads. were so obnoxious Iā€™m not gunna bother with the second one. I should look into system-wide adblocking I guess.

I know F2P games are generally frowned upon by Real Gamersā„¢ but I really enjoyed Mistwalkerā€™s Terra Battle when I was playing it about a year or so ago. The main gimmick is that if you sandwich enemies between two of your units, they both get to attack on each unitā€™s turn, incentivizing you to box in enemies or push enemies into corners of the map. There are special abilities that can push back enemy units to counter such an attack. You can also place your units adjacent to each other and enter one of two stances: a defence buff stance or an offence buff stance. Combine that with map hazards, and you have to think carefully about positioning if you want to milk as much damage out of a turn as possible. (The reason this came to mind is because Fire Emblem Heroes very much feels like Babbyā€™s First Fire Emblem, and none of the gameplay Iā€™ve seen so far feels as deep or as rewarding as what I just described.)

If nothing has changed since I last touched it, there isnā€™t really any incentive to buy any micro-transactions if you donā€™t intend to play PvP, as you can get through the bulk of the game just fine with what youā€™re given for free.

1 Like

Jumping on the bandwagon of dodging rotten vegetables for suggesting f2p games, Clash Royale is a fun little synchronous tower-defense game ā€“ itā€™s simple in the sense that you place units and they just go afterwards; however, theyā€™ve put in enough little variations (single unit vs. group unit, walking vs. flying, melee damage vs. ranged damage, AoE damage vs. er, not, targets buildings vs. targets troops, etc.) that thereā€™s a fair amount of strategic choice and varying playstyles. Will be frustrating in that if you get ā€œcounter-pickedā€ by facing opponents whose cards match up well with yours, theyā€™re going to win unless youā€™re clearly more skilled than they are. The f2p aspect of it is managed by leveling up your stuff being way slower if you donā€™t spend, so itā€™s more of a grind. Considering non-top-level play is generally more interesting than the top, where metas rule the day, this isnā€™t necessarily that bad.

Thereā€™s an insert credit clan with a mix of ic folks and then the rest are West Sumatrans who kind of made it their own. Itā€™s full right now, Iā€™m sure we can find inactives if people wanted in.

Microgue is pretty good, I sure did like it a bunch. Short and sweet, pretty easy to Grok. Some good cellphone comfort food gametimes

That being said Rust Bucket is even better so far! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nitrome.rustbucket&hl=en

Probably going to be playing this one for a long while, on and off.

2 Likes

Nice timing. Iā€™ve been in a Rogue-like mood the last couple of days.

Been satisfying that with Voyage to Farland, which Iā€™ve always had a soft-spot for.