Pleasure of Tension (when a game is a sport)

The drama of the match is getting hot! Who will triumph? What surprise moves await us in the battle arena?

What are some current & notable matches you’ve seen online?
What are some classic competitive happenings you’d like to highlight?
Do you have any stories of past battle glories?

Post em here

Classic Tetris Finals 2018:
A rookie kid vs the veteran.
Hoodie vs leather jacket
Youth Vs Wisdom
Who’s kungfu is the strongest?

4 Likes
3 Likes
5 Likes

Classic

I just watched it in tiny portrait orientation on a phone screen with the volume off but my body still knows to get goosebumps when the people in the crowd start flipping out

I know there was a thread making fun of classic Tetris a while back but I’ve been watching these because they’re way more watchable than TGM for a Tetris amateur and I feel a lot of personality shines through for the players.

Also, it does actually take a lot of skill, although a lot of that skill is getting over the controls, which I think we can all agree weren’t really meant for play at those speeds.

2 Likes

I think their setup is really cool. They have a modified cart that allows them to set seeds and they read the data from the cart to track stats and recreate the graphics and playfield you see on the screen (rather than capture CRT output).

Also I was watching them over Thanksgiving and both my mom and my sister sat down and watched with me.

2 Likes

Wait until you learn about Tetris Vs. tho

I like this one

4 Likes

Exciting set!

1 Like

I just watched a video of competitive Tetris for the first time. I liked hearing the commentators talk enthusiastically about what was going on in the game, and using terms such as “dirty tetris” and “double max-out.”

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/497258859

(The part I watched starts at 4:26:25.)

2 Likes

I was actually probably walking around the con when they were filming this, I definitely saw the guy with the tetris pauldrons a lot.

It was waaaaaaay too cramped and crowded in the room where was happening to watch live, though.

1 Like

One of the competitors mentioned that he had become involved in the NES Tetris scene after seeing the “Jeff” video. I looked up that video, and now I understand why the commentators seem self-conscious when they use the expression “neck and neck.”

I suppose it would be a challenge to try to vary the things you say when narrating a series of Tetris matches.

1 Like

Aww its behind a pay wall now.