Please, Carcassonne Was My Father's Name: The Board Game Thread

The biggest board game news of the decade IMO: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/8/11/twilight-imperium-fourth-edition/

I’ve already preordered! Twilight Imperium is my favorite board game, I’m so pumped.

1 Like

oh shit!

I can’t stand TI but I did just get sidereal confluence and I’m trying to get people to play it with me despite the horrible name

I’m pretty firmly in the “TI3 is good actually” camp. I don’t dig eclipse because the politicking of TI is one of the main points of appeal for me (I don’t care if you think its bad game design, Richard Garfield, politics games are like 50% of the fun of board games for me.) and Eclipse just doesnt have that.

Sidereal Confluence looks really my jam, actually! I’d love to play that on tabletop sim or at the sb meetup

I will bring it for sure!

eclipse does have politicking but less, and the rest of the game is just so much tighter. I like tight when I’m already committing to most of an afternoon.

1 Like

I like Eclipse but have never tried Twilight Imperium. I’ve wondered whether I should attempt to play the latter one day.

A few months ago, I had the opportunity to play Cthulhu Wars. I’d long been curious about it, and I liked it. Too bad it’s ridiculously expensive.

More recently, I got to play a 6-player game of Mare Nostrum, using some fancy new Kickstarter version of the game. That is another one I’d been wanting to try.

1 Like

How was Mare Nostrum? That’s been on my wishlist for a long time as a game I think I would like a lot.

BTW, Cthulhu Wars is very similar to Chaos in the Old World which itself is similar to games like Blood Rage and Inis. So if you want to try games out in that related design space, there’s the list.

My impression of it was definitely positive. It seemed as if it could potentially be frustrating if another player ended up with a powerful combo (though you can control this to some degree with the turn order rules) or if you had particularly aggressive neighbors. But based on your comments above about politicking, that might not be a concern in your case. I also enjoy that aspect of games, except when it is too extreme as in Diplomacy. (I can’t stand Diplomacy, though I admire the concept of it in the abstract.)

My single favorite board game (if I had to choose one) is Shogun/Wallenstein, and Mare Nostrum similarly combines combat with resource management and requires you to make difficult decisions with the possibility of your plans falling apart due to the actions of other players. The asymmetrical powers are fun and seem to be balanced as far as I can tell.

1 Like

I had heard that a big part of the FFG/Asmodee merger was due to Christian Petersen wanting to design games again instead of running a company but that’s still a surprise to me. I’ve always wanted to play TI but I’ve always been wary of spending an entire day with a group of strangers as it would require. There’s no way I could sell my friends on it.

1 Like

TI3 is the game that got me into board gaming, almost ten years ago now. There were a few months where the old D&D group was between campaigns, so we just played TI3 week after week. I haven’t played it since then, but this news is pretty exciting to me.

1 Like

i’m only posting here to say that I’m arguing about orientalism on a comment thread of a review of Legend of the 5 Rings on Shut Up & Sit Down

and I told him that if he can’t understand that “being a supporter and ally” means not telling people with grievances around orientalism that their comments are a waste of time, he should

shut up & sit down

6 Likes

More like sit up and shut down amirite

whoa i finally read this whole thread, nice

i forget most of it though

my housemate wants to start a board game thing on Sundays, they went and got Mysterium. so far no-one’s showed up though. i suggested Hanabi to them from this thread but maybe Codenames is a good idea too?

1 Like

Oh that was you? Man, I could hardly even read that guy’s ignorant ass comments, much less actually respond to them. Kudos for putting in so much effort.

I mean, there were a bunch of people in there that were making ignorant comments and a bunch of people that were responding, so I was probably one of many

Mysterium has taken my friendgroup by storm, it’s a pleasant storm.

We also tried Element for the first time a few weeks ago, it’s a good 2-4 player chess-but-really-not-chess game, seems to work at all those numbers in very different ways. Had a 3-hour 3 player game.

Mysterium, Hanabi and Codenames is a great starter set of more social/cooperative games.

1 Like

I adore mysterium but I wouldn’t necessarily recommend codenames as a second purchase? it’s too similar, and needs a big group to be anywhere near as good as mysterium. pictomania is actually a better choice in that vein, it’s more unique and better with only a few people.

if you want something else accessible & competitive I’d get cosmic encounter or tash kalar

1 Like

tash kalar is great but having sat through far more games of cosmic encounter than the last time I talked about it

jesus no

cosmic encounter is an atrocious game with nothing to recommend it to new players unless you are specifically playing with people who just want to see a bunch of dumb bullshit happen every few minutes.

It’s pretty much a competitive game that plays itself as it is almost wholly divested of choices but has a lot of automatic actions

How do y’all feel about One Night Aliens

I think it is deffo a good way to muddle through arbitrary bullshit for 5 minutes but I’d rather do something at least slightly creative like Telestrations or Jackbox