Please, Carcassonne Was My Father's Name: The Board Game Thread

Thanks Felix!

I had my friends over for the usual board game night and we actually threw down Inis because I was motivated by the post I made here.

We are still very much on the fence about it in relation to Blood Rage but still enjoying it very much. We keep comparing to Blood Rage because we feel they are 2 different sides of the same coin and both are very tightly designed. There are 3 of us that get together once a week to game and I will share some of the thoughts here.

My bud Tiger - Prefers Blood Rage because it is more straight forward than Inis. Easier to manipulate troop placement for calculated risks and sure victories. Blood Rage ā€œfeelsā€ tighter to him. (In my humble opinion I prefer the more chaotic approach to combat and board presence of Inis.)

My bud Guinn - Feels like it is comparing apples to oranges, but likes in Inis that you can ā€œsneakā€ into territories with out combat as opposed to Blood Rage where there is always tension of oncoming battle.

Myself - Still on the fence, there is no variance in Blood Rage which it gives it a slight advantage compared to Inis. I know I have stated that there is no variance in combat but there is a deck of Epic Cards which you draw from and add to your hand if certain action cards are played. (I feel it is very minor variance, but it is there.) The big takeaway I am starting to get is that Inis is far more ā€œpuzzle-yā€ than Blood Rageā€™s straight forwardness. And I am leaning towards Inis because of my love for abstract puzzles.

whoever maintains this goofy site added FCM because of its popularity combined with its price/rarity: http://play.boardgamecore.net/

Iā€™d love to try to do a quasi-synchronous game some weekend with 3-4 others

How long does FCM take to play?

probably the better part of an afternoon our first time

iā€™ll play

I could probably to a random weekend afternoon. I will look at my schedule when I get home.

Iā€™ve recently become interested in the arkham horror LCG because itā€™s a co-op game with deckbuilding (not the dominion kind, like, actually assembling a deck and taking it to a friendā€™s place)

are there any better games than this that are co-op LCG/TCGs? I kind of donā€™t want to play an arkham horror thing because I am a contrarian

I do not know from experience but it is my understanding that both the LotR and GoT games from Fantasy Flight are superior to the Arkham Horror one.

I am fond of Netrunner above all of them but it is strictly 2 player only.

yeah Iā€™d love to get into netrunner but Iā€™m the only person in my group of friends interested in building decks so like, Iā€™d have to build decks for everyone else to get them involved and stuff

I have like, $100 worth of cards and no one to play with :frowning:

@bib @Ayanami77Ivy OK, I think @gary and @Tulpa were also interested, so thatā€™ll do it!

This is a long weekend here so I can probably make time on one of Sat-Mon. Otherwise, the next two weekends arenā€™t great.

I spent too much money on Netrunner. My issue with Netrunner is its super aggressive release dates on expansions. They come out too damn fast and I canā€™t keep up with it. Does not help that none of my gaming peeps jumped on the wagon either and you really do need someone else who is committed to it to enjoy it.

I have grown wiser and will only get card games that can be enjoyed with their pre built decks and just treat it like a traditional board game. Summoner Wars has taken the mantle for me and it does have deck construction if you wish to dig deeper. ASHES is a great Magic clone.

I gotta see what my wifeā€™s schedule is. If she is working, I am free no problems, however we have been running around a lot lately and if she has the time off we are definitely gonna spend some together times.

I could be free Sunday afternoon EST, maybe, or Monday evening.

yeah any time this weekend is fine with me with a little notice

Contrary to otherā€™s experience, I think Arkham Horror LCG is much better than LOTR LCG. The strategy revolves around risk management during the game, whereas LOTR is a lot more trad CCG in that strategy is mostly frontloaded into deckbuilding portion inbetween games.

Netrunner is fine but too expensive. The advantage co-op lcgs have is 0 requirement to keep up with the release cycle/evolving meta so you only ever buy more cards when you want them

I can do Sunday for the FCM starting at 10:00 am to 12:00 pm eastern time. I am a touch crunched for time unfortunately.

Are we still doing this? I am watching a video of how to play FCM.

oh, sorry, I didnā€™t see this; 10am est isnā€™t great for me!

No worries, I canā€™t really join in if it starts any later than Noon EST as I am sure this will take 3 to 4 hours to rock out. Maybe 1 EST at the absolute latest. I understand if people canā€™t make that happen. Sorry for having such a restrictive time table. :grimacing:

I could probably start in like an hour if others are availableā€¦ but no harm if we have to punt.