piping hot Raspberry Pi

hey is it outlandish to hope that a pi zero could get power and ethernet over a USB cable connected to a basic router’s USB port?

I’ve never heard of a router with that feature so probably count on getting an Ethernet to USB adapter. Power might be doable, needs 5V 1-2 amp, which most hard drives would need anyway.

1 Like

power would absolutely be doable, i’ve powered a rpi4 from an airport extreme’s usb

1 Like

Is it worth acquiring an old Raspberry Pi at all? Lesser specs are a given of course, but can they still have utility regardless?

1 Like

you probably can’t get the router to host USB OTG, but you can definitely get a PoE injector that draws from USB

like Amazon.co.uk

edit ah for a zero? no eth0, no chance. power off the TV’s USB and wireless imo

1 Like

A Pi 3 is probably the earliest you want to go for solid emulation performance (earlier models have a much less beefy CPU, and I believe the 3 is the first time they went 64-bit, so they’ll have decent continued support), but they’re basically all fine for other basic server or computer type tasks if you have any need for that

It’s aimed more at kids but Raspberry Pi’s website has lots of examples of things it can be used for https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en

1 Like

I dig the convenience of the RCA composite out on the 1 for plugging Minter’s Psychedelia into my video mixer, but otherwise I’ve barely touched my 2 and now 3 since upgrading outside of one month where I was trying to learn LAMP/Omeka stuff for work.

1 Like