piping hot Raspberry Pi

Yeah, you check out there. Are you loading them off the SD card or a USB drive?

SD card. 64GB if I remember correctly, canā€™t check at the moment.

Thatā€™s what I do.

I wonder if itā€™s a lemon or a weird card.

oh!!! this looks interesting, thank you!! i will prolly take the plunge once i have enough money for that starter kit + controllers haha

daaaaaaaamn

1 Like

That was the onion rings talking.

howā€™s the 4? think i might pick one up for lakka

Iā€™ve had a 4 sitting fallow for a couple months because farting with the unofficial retropie build or familiarizing myself with mamma both sounds like a hassle.

Maybe i should byte the byllyt and tri it out.

1 Like

Lakka

Auto correct is wild

I also have been sitting on a pi 4 that I havenā€™t had the time to mess around with. Iā€™ve been meaning to familiarize myself more with linux, so Iā€™ll probably dick around with it a bit for random teachable projects until retropie for 4 comes out.

I will say that the official plastic case for it is gorgeous.

I picked one up, and it is extremely satisfying the way the board slots right into it, no screws needed. You can easily pop off the top if you ever need to.

1 Like

need to set up pihole on my 3B+ and get a MiSTer for my emubox needs

anyone here doing pihole? got any tips or links to guides?

I set up pihole on my 3 and it was really easy! I donā€™t remember what guide I used, but theyā€™re out there. I think I went with the official one on their site. The one tricky part was dealing with my ISP-provided router that kept me from setting a custom DNS.

Since the DNS options I needed werenā€™t available via my routerā€™s admin page, I instead used piholeā€™s backup option for this scenario and used piholeā€™s built-in DHCP server: https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/how-do-i-use-pi-holes-built-in-dhcp-server-and-why-would-i-want-to/3026

Pihole rules, especially for phones and smart TVs where itā€™s really hard to do proper ad-blocking. Roku TVs do an insane amount of creepy tracking, and Iā€™ve been able to completely block all of it.

The cool thing about having all these old models around each time I upgrade is weird projects like that.

Once the 3 became dedicated to emulation, I started messing around with my old 2 to learn some online exhibit hosting software for work.

This thread has inspired me to repackage my turbo cd games as chd files. I lead an exciting life.

1 Like

okokok so my thoughts are: itā€™d be nice to have a pi as a TV-attached thing, to stream 1080p (for the foreseeable future) video and maybe play a vidcon; also itā€™d be nice to have a pi on a router for pihole and maybe one day media server-ing, if one box can do both. pihole is the highest priority here

should i like, get a zero for pihole, then maybe get idk a 3B+ or something for the TV stuff? ideally itā€™d be like something big enough to do pihole and server stuff, and then a 4B or something for TV, but iā€™m trying to keep realistic about what i actually need for my primary goals vs like, whether iā€™d actually use the extra power in the more exxy models before something bigger and shinier came out

i do currently have a chromecast and maybe using that would get less spooky if i had pihole running so the TV box might not be top priority; then again if i could pass that chromecast along to someone that might be a net good

a 400 for a desktop sounds lovely too but also not really necessary rn

I have a pi 3 running pihole and it absolutely rules. It makes the experience of using a Roku TV so much better. It blocks all Roku ads and many streaming service ads. It keeps my TV from phoning home CONSTANTLY (Roku is extra creepy about this). It also blocks ads on my phone too, which is much appreciated. Itā€™s a very different experience trying to browse on mobile outside my home. I have no idea which models of pi are recommended for it, but the 3 has never given me any trouble.

I used to use my pi 3 for retro gaming (using Retropie) and it was a very capable device for anything up to the PSX. PSX games worked but frequently lagged enough to be annoying. I have a pi 4 that I havenā€™t hooked up yet. Retropie only JUST gained full pi 4 support in November, so maybe itā€™s a little spotty still? I dunno. I think theoretically it should run PSX games better, but I doubt it can go very far beyond that.

3 Likes

this is all great info and i thank you

whatā€™s the difference between retropie and lakka? and how feasible is it to use one box for both games and TV, like netflix or w/e

my current thought is to grab a zero for pihole and then if i wanna upgrade i have a spare, like everyone keeps talking about

hereā€™s some more pics of all the assorted ends and pieces i have on my pi 4

i love typing nilbog:8112 into my web browser and doing torrent crimes

nilbog:8080 brings up my calibre server (rly enjoying re reading discworld)

just realized after posting that most of these havenā€™t been converted to kindle format yet whoops

heres a visualization of my media servers contents

this is a little esoteric and fiddly and theres probably a better way but i have vlc installed so i can use the vlsub plugin to download subtitles to save onto the share w/ all the pirated movies (usually i use vnc to use my phone as a remote thats connected to the sever)

youtube downloader that doesnt involve going on sketchy sites (itā€™s not especially fast so far though, not sure why)

the project im really wanting to get finished for my pi 3 is to use my spare webcam to make an old school creature cam for our dubia roaches, theres so many different ways i implement it that iā€™m not sure which direction i wanna pursue fully
im thinking something like this:

edit: i forgot to mention, i also have a second share setup for steam, the y directory is the second hard drive in my usb 3.0 dock connected to the pi and its a 7200 rpm, it works fine for a lot of games, especially older ones, ive tried red dead redemption 2 and that runs perfectly, but conversely ive tried Let It Die and it turns the game into a chugging untextured mess, strange stuff!

5 Likes

i fucked with lakka a bit over the summer on a pi4, seemed nice but itā€™s literally just retroarch embedded with ssh (i think you need to ssh in to pair a bluetooth controller) and smb preconfigured so you can copy roms over the network

using mine presently for pihole, rtorrent and smb. not the most ā€˜robustā€™ setup with a little external hd but it works and i can just stream media to my firetv with kodi. using dietpi and it seems pretty good, think itā€™s using like 70mb ram on a cold boot

1 Like