Output Devices

https://bzotto.medium.com/what-color-was-apple-beige-acd14bca0c1a

Yet Scott is also quoted in Walter Isaacson’s 2011 [authorized biography of Jobs] as saying

The Pantone company, which Apple used to specify colors for its plastic, had more than two thousand shades of beige. “None of them were good enough for Steve. […] He wanted to create a different shade, and I had to stop him.”

8 Likes
10 Likes
5 Likes
5 Likes

the one case where a terrible rubber chiclet keyset that inhibits typing is justified

2 Likes

The VGA out on the Mister was too powerful a temptation, so I messed with these a bit today.

Imgur
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur

18 Likes

I have lucked into a refurbished LG CX TV and it is mind-boggling perfect for games.

It’s 13-14ms of input lag with nearly instantaneous (sub-millisecond) pixel response. I whipped the camera around in some first person games for ten minutes trying to perceive motion blur but I think it any motion resolution issue was with my eyes.

For retro stuff, it supports black frame insertion at 4k 120hz so you can emulate a 60hz CRT with high resolution scanlines, per pixel lighting, and “strobing.”

It also looks nice for movies and has something called FILMMAKER MODE with this tooltip:

This mode expresses the FILMMAKER MODE’s intentions clearly but may look darker than other picture modes.

There’s supposed to be a 42" LG model next year and I really hope we get this down to monitor size but there’s all kinds of production economies to think of.

They’re expensive to be sure, but they’re cheaper than WEGAs or Panasonic Kuros in their day. I hope there’s a good used market for these.

4 Likes

EXTREMELY IMPORTANT QUESTION:

if you run Retroarch’s crt-royale shader, do you get a strobe (<100ms of black) that seems triggered by black fades? I’m 90% certain this is my B7 because I can’t replicate it on other displays and it happens with other computers, so I’m hypothesizing that the display is attempting to process/scale the image for unknown reasons. Searching for repros is understandably difficult

Hold pls

Do you have a particular game/core/setting you want me to try?

Walking in and out of buildings in EarthBound results in a smooth fade to black and fade in without display issues I can tell.

I’ve got a bit of regret for getting a Samsung Q80T instead of going for a CX. But I do use this TV as my primary monitor. I would probably obsess over uneven wear even though it seems to be not much of an issue with modern LG OLEDs.

It’s held true across all cores, but it’s easy to catch on SNES RPGs that go into battle mode (I noticed it right away in Earthbound) and when opening the menu - some PSX RPGs make it easy to spot. I’ll find you a use case

(I’m being hyperbolic about ‘extremely important’ but I appreciate how helpful you are)

Hmm no issues with EB and CRT Royale at either 60hz or 120hz. I don’t have software BFI enabled, if that’s a factor.

DMing you a 240fps video I took in case my eyes can’t see it lol

1 Like

I think I broke myself of display anxiety by having a projector and a plasma before that. By comparison these are “normal.”

4 Likes

how long we gotta wait till the $1000 8k TCL

shot in the dark but does anyone have that image of ps2 ridge racer running on a tiny oled pvm (pvm-740 prob) sitting on a desk? it’s been floating around in my brain all day like an ear worm but i can’t find it

9 Likes
9 Likes

That first one just looked like an Eraserhead baby.

4 Likes

15 Likes