Oracle, o desespoir

I think this will be one of the last cool updates, there won’t be many new new things to discover afterwards.

For now:

XIII: The clockwork city of Goug

Mustadio joins as a guest, but he also has no equipment and dies immediately. (He’s on the lower left part of the screen, dead before we can even do anything)

IMG_3465

IMG_3466

I forgot to properly introduce summoners. They rule.

First time I panicked like hell because summoners and thieves were blocking our silence and sleep statuses.

In truth, they don’t have total immunity from silence like I thought, but they do have a low chance to block any attack thanks to their mantles.

We double down on Silence to make sure the summoners are out after turn 1. Literally nothing matters more than silencing the summoners.

One thief comes with Steal Heart and needs to be perma-statused

Because Steal Heart is the worst. Everything is going fine, then an enemy thief charms your oracle, this oracle acts immediately after because of course she does, and she casts Repose on your team, and then you hit her with a stick to uncharm her and it does a critical hit, and Repose goes off anyway and now all your characters are now asleep, the thief acts again and charms someone else, etc.

Luck plays a significant role in that battle, and numbers have to be on our side. But if turn 1 goes well, the rest goes smoothly.

You may have noticed that the number of stone statues we keep in our wake has been ramping up.

Imagine what will happen once all 5 oracles will have learned the Induration spell

We allow Mustadio to join, as he gives access to a sidequest. But he’s not allowed to do anything.

We already can buy an upgrade from our poles oh my god

The merchant suggests us to buy a book instead for 3000g instead of 1200?
This is a terrible idea, but we take one for Ramza to try it in the next battle.

All the oracles get thief hats, which give +1 speed. This is significant enough to offset our level disadvantage and make oracles act before most enemies.

XIV: Balias Swale

We have, on one side, Ramza + Agrias + two oracles against two knights, an archer and a wizard

On the other side (not shown), two oracles vs one wizard and one archer

Cool AI manipulation trick we can use now that we have superior speed:

If you start casting silence on a wizard, no matter the accuracy, that wizard won’t cast a spell because there’s a chance they will be silenced before their spell goes out.

It might sound like good AI, but wizards really cannot do anything but cast spells, so they end up wasting turns.

Unfortunately I spend the entire battle forgetting Ramza has a book equipped and he ends up doing jack shit

Books have an attack range of exactly 3, no more, no less, and they deal crap damage. We’ve been had by the merchant again

IMG_3379

Cool animation though. Ramza opens the book, the book giggles a bit, and the enemy takes damage. That has to be, like, the fourth weirdest weapon type in the game

For once the archers and knights are surprisingly competent and will destroy Agrias if given a chance.

This archer used Aim +5 on Agrias with her lightning bow. It did huge physical attack, then an additional thunder attack activated

We throw away the stupid book and restart the battle, turning people into stone statues

Agrias, like Mustadio, will be kept around and not used.

From now on all guests will appear in one battle max, the wheels are off, it’s all oracles all the time

XV: Execution Site*

This is considered as one of the hardest battles in the game.
The team is split + there are 8 enemies vs 5 allies + one of the enemies is Gafgarion.

Oracles actually handle this battle like champs, and I didn’t expect to win that fast! The reason this is easy is that all the enemies are spread out.

Ok all the screenshots I took for this battle are fucking terrible, so I’ll try to make this short.

Enemies being spread out means that oracles have no trouble regrouping at the beginning, and picking enemies one by one as they come

Gafgarion is powerful, but forgot to bring full status immunity, and is rendered as powerless as any other scrub with Hesitate. Knights are dealt with the same way, and time mages are silenced. Archers aren’t too bad here.

If an oracle gets low on HP, she can absorbs Gaff’s with Invigorate. He’s a good HP sponge, with 200+ HP, and Invigorate is especially effective against those - It steals 1/4th of an enemy’s max HP, about 50+

anime teleports

Stone statues as far as the eye can see

XVI: Lionel Castle part 1

If last battle was Oracle Heaven, this is Oracle Hell, with all enemies including one summoner right up to us at the very beginning of the battle.

Meanwhile, Ramza is alone against Murder God Gaff. Ramza may deal a bit more damage, but Gaff heals himself with every attack, and he has way more HP and evasion.
Ramza’s MP is limited, he can’t spam Hesitation or Invigorate forever. It will only stall the battle.

This battle sounds impossible, but we’re playing FFT, with all its lovely cheap ass tricks

The two archers and three knights are all equipped with lightning bows and coral swords, which are thunder- elemental weapons.

We buy four pairs of rubber boots and suddendly none of the enemies can hurt us. Except for the summoner.

And we silence the summoner.

Meanwhile, Ramza turns himself into a fucking zombie with Corruption.

Gaff can’t use his signature HP stealing move anymore, or he’ll heal Ramza and hurt himself! He’s stuck with regular 1 range attacks, and Ramza runs circles around him thanks to his battle boots.

Ramza’s own badass long range HP stealing move somehow still works under Corruption.

The irony is too much for Gaff, and he dies.

XVII: Interlude

A palette cleanser of a battle was added to the PSP version here.

You are level 25 Anime God Delita and have to beat 3 level 8 losers. Ovelia protects and haste you, if that wasn’t easy enough

Cool

XVIII: Lionel Castle part 2

Wow, Cu Chulainn really let itself go after SMT

IMG_3461

IMG_3462

This is the first proper boss battle. Cu Chulainn has ??? HP, a bunch of nasty status effects, and Bio 2, which is like a summon spell it can cast instantly.

Cu Chulainn immediately attacks everybody with Bio 2, severely wounding all

This is a boss, so almost all status spells don’t work.

Trepidation does work! But it’s useless here.
I haven’t mentioned Tepidation before, because it’s just not that useful. It is, however, the coolest spell. More info later.

Invigorate also works. Like always, it steals 1/4th of the target’s max HP… This means it can kill Cu Chulainn in only 4 hits… right?

Everybody cast Invigorate

Cu Chulainn is so fucked

It never even got to act after the initial Bio 2

Here’s the thing: Invigorate works on every boss , including the final boss. It kills everything in four hits.

Against all logic, the negative-status oriented class is the best class to use against bosses in FFT

End of Chapter 2

7 Likes

That castle battle against Gafgarion is so good.

The Invigorate thing is ridiculous.

“My love” is the best.

What you mean to say is, Oracles eventually become actual seers instead of charlatans hurriedly bashing their opponents over the head with their sticks and proclaiming “The smiting I have foreseen has come to pass!” They’ve become prophets of doom littering the landscape with pillars of stone and four of them guaranteeing the death of anyone they so choose.

I did like how Corruption is essentially pointing and saying you’re now undead and everyone else just believing you.

5 Likes

i love this thread so much

this is the most exposure I’ve ever had to the new translation and it is not making me like it any more than past surface exposure

the thread is wonderful though

yeah well finish your fanslation so i have an excuse to play this game :v

just kidding i haven’t even had time for sonic mania my innocence is lost

Putting it like this makes it sound hilariously like a bunch of kids on the playground. “I’m stealing your HP!” “Nuh uh, I’m undead so it heals me and hurts you!”

This all would work all the better if applied to FFTA I suppose.

4 Likes

Thanks all!!

I actually like the PSP translation, but that’s probably because I’m not a native speaker and don’t notice how less natural the dialogue feels?

Oh man, this works so well with Rafa and Malak

Rafa : “My Truth attacks do more damage, the more you believe in god!!”
Malak : “Oh yeah? Well, my Un-Truth attacks do more damage, the less you believe in god!!”
Rafa: “nooooooooo”

1 Like

it’s actually very likely that what’s thought of as more “affected” English actually entails more latinate, literal-sounding vocabulary