Oracle, o desespoir

With the next iOs update, Apple is going to kill off any old non updated app, including the best app there is, the iOs version of Final fantasy tactics.

The game is working on this iphone 6 I am holding right now, and it soon won’t work anymore.

When the new digital area was ushered, oracles warned us against companies who were going to take away our games from us, but we never listened.

In rememberance I am going through this version of FFT one last time, and will play with a full team of only oracles / mystics armed only with a very basic knowledge of FFT mechanics and poor skill.

Oracle is that negative status oriented class you never really bothered with because killing enemies is more efficient. Oracles don’t have the best reputation. They are ultimately completely supplemented by Beowulf, who does literally everything they do and is better at it. But Beowulf is also dead on arrival, for joining after Orlandu.

Nevertheless, oracles are fantastic. They can blind, confuse, silence, turn into zombies, stone statues or chickens, convince someone of God’s wrath or make them a non-believer, steal HP or MP. They kill the final boss in 4 hits.

The first thing to do after the two initial battles is to fire everybody, then recruit four girls with 70 faith. On a new recruit, faith is a random number between 40 and 70, almost never changes through the game, and is involved as a basic multiplier for all oracle spells success rate.

I could care about zodiac compatibility but life is too short

The 5 members of the team have to level in the chemist class up till level 2, then in the white mage class up till level 3, to unlock oracle.

Piece of shit merchant is trying to sell rods but it’s a scam: Oracles do 6 damage with rods and 15 with staves. The former runs on physical power and the later on magical power.

This asshole is the same guy who tries to outfit your 5 warriors with useless expensive luxury Louis Vuitton bags later on

Look at all these cool spells oracles can play with.
Right now I need to aim for low MP / JP cost spells because I literally can’t afford anything else.
Of note:

• Umbra inflicts Blind, which lowers accuracy. It’s allright. Oracles don’t really have the evade to take too much advantage from it, but it’s really inexpensive.
  • Quiescence inflicts Silence, basically removing any mage from any fight
  • Hesitation inflicts Disable, which prevents an enemy from acting. Usually they’ll run away in terror until the status runs out (which happens very quickly). Useful to take out one guy for a little while but not groundbreaking.

I go with one character with silence, one with blind, three with disable.

Reaction/ passive/movement skills:

The only reaction skill I get is Absorb MP, it restores MP when a guy casts a spell on an oracle, and is not going to see much use because oracles have 3 ways to shut down enemy mages

Defense boost is good, it reduces physical damage by… 1/3?

We have a choice between Ignore Weather ( I didn’t even know FFT had weather effects) and the classic Restore-Mp-while-walking

The full team is ready, the first real battle is Dorter City.

Enemies are two mages, one knight, and three archers including one who forgot to take a bow into battle.
Team is 4 oracles, Delita, Algus. Delita and Algus are chemists for eventual auto potion use. Chemists are good, but AI control is bad.

4 resets later: i’m terrible at this game

18 Likes

Hate to burst your bubble but:

any word on 64bit smt?
as i posted in the ‘definitive versions’ thread it… kinda is the definitive english version so long as there’s isn’t a fan translation of the ps1 port

I’m glad because I sure am not going to finish this in 1 month at this rate

15+ resets and counting in Dorter

1 Like

I’m still waiting for ZiGGURAT and Helix to get fixed, now you’re telling me every other old app is about to get sunk??

This is my biggest problem with iOS. A walled garden + planned obsolescence + putting the entire compatibility onus on small developers = a digital preservation nightmare.

3 Likes

None of that is Apple’s problem. iOS is not Windows where almost every change is additive to preserve enterprise software compatibility forever; they deprecate stuff all the time and replace it with better stuff, and if you can’t deal with it, then don’t develop for iOS. Hell, the only reason the Mac remained competitive with Windows in the 2000s and Apple survived is because they threw out an entire operating system and its software ecosystem and remade it from scratch on top of NeXT’s technology.

Game developers (specifically those coming from the gaming industry) are so disconnected from the rest of the iOS development community, it frustrates me to no end. You have people making games for a platform, but because they are relying on engines that largely abstract the platform-specific stuff from them, they don’t feel the need to actually keep up with the news about that platform and then they act all offended when they get fucked over by a change that was announced months or years ago that they weren’t prepared for.

I’m not asking game developers to obsess over technical changes to Apple’s developer tools, I’m asking them to do the bare minimum that should be expected from someone who makes a living selling things on iOS.

1 Like

devs have essentially had ~five years notice of this, right?

It’s a staged rollout, so starting in 2015, you couldn’t even submit new apps or app updates to the App Store unless you had a 64-bit slice. Apps that are falling off the map this fall are long abandoned.

yeah, it’s just like game console/hanheld hardware generations. If you want to play the old stuff, keep the old hardware.

It’s not completely analogous though since you also can’t upgrade the OS on your phone if you want to preserve compatibility. There is a backward-compatibility mode in iOS 10, but it is going away in iOS 11. iOS devices also have windows of time in which they can be restored to a given version of the OS, so you can’t downgrade to a previous version of the OS once you’ve upgraded.

I guess the better analogy for this is when Sony removed the software support for playing disc PS2 games on the PS3 in a software update out of nowhere.

1 Like

It’s a bit like Silent Hill PT as well - If you happen to have an old iPhone that hasn’t updated iOS in a few years, AND that phone happened to download ZiGGURAT when it was available… That’s the only way you can play it. The number of devices fitting that description might be zero, considering I wiped my old one and gave it to my cousin last year.

my grandmother’s ipad may be the game’s last bastion

seems appropriate given its themes

1 Like

I wish it played better on the iPad; I bought one in 2011 for the peak of the premium mobile market but ZiGGURAT’s focus on sliding is really designed for phones (and people without clammy hands)

nah my hands are big enough that the experience on a tablet for me is roughly equivalent to most folks on a phone

like an ipad mini or something would probably be the optimal form factor but yknow

Though this thread has descended into tedium I just wanted to say that the OP is pure fire and if you did a whole screenshot LP in this style I would send you money

so far the highlight of the thread is haley’s new icon, haley’s icons are always so good ;_;

1 Like

Thanks for the comments

Ok, last update I haven’t even been able to finish the first real battle, Dorter City.

I’ll talk about enemy units first:

Knights completely outpower our oracles.

Fortunately, they only attack from close range (barring the occasional stone-throwing knight), and, like most enemy units, have 3 move.
Our team can throw status spells from afar and is fully equipped with Battle Boots (+1 move)

The best way to handle knights is to keep them far away with superior movement and Hesitation (= inflicts disable, prevenrs attacks), then 4vs1 them one by one once all the bigger threats are eliminated.

In Final Fantasy Tactics, magic only works if you believe in it, and the more you believe in it, the more effective it is.

You might remember that All our oracles had to come with high faith for higher status rates. This has a downside: they all take higher magic damage in return. This makes black mages the #1 threat the team has to deal with.

Later in the game, we will have the fanciest way to deal with black mages: literally turning them into atheists. For now, they can be baited then hit with Quiescence. Silence lasts forever and makes them almost useless.

Since the last update I did one random battle prior to Dorter, just so 2 of my oracles could use Quiescence.

Archers are the worst.

Beyond the issue of long range attacks, their damage is moderate but unpredictable; they can charge to do a little extra.

We don’t have any efficient way to easily deal with them so far. If we try to charge them, they run away and shoot.
Hesitation also doesn’t work well: they just run away, wait until the status runs out, and come back. We want to kill them first so this isn’t good at all.

In Chapter 1 we get help from a few guests:

Guests can be turned into anything, but their AI control makes them tend to act irrationnally.

I made Delita into a chemist, so he could bring at least some healing to my team and eventually learn Auto Potion.

He’s generally competent at this job for an AI controlled idiot buddy. He mostly stays out of range and throws potions. My only complaint is that he wants to make full use of every lick of those 30 HP potions, to the point where he’ll prefer to literally rather do nothing than heal Ramza at 30/59 HPs.

Algus / Argath is a knight who can use potions. He can attract attention, survive for a while, and even sometimes do damage!!

I could be stricter and make both Algus and Delita oracles, but people who run this kind of challenges don’t force this rule so I’m not going to make this harder for ourselves.

Anyway,

I: Dorter

(I’m using the iOs internal photo edit tool)

Captain Douche is the most obvious threat: he’s an archer who begins the battle sniping everybody from the rooftop. The good news is that he has no place to run away to when we eventually cast Hesitation / Disable / Don’t Act on him (Note: the DA next to his sprite in the picture means he is currently under this status)

Delita and Algus begin the battle by smartly running towards Captain Douche (good), then usually they get distracted and focus all their attention on the weaponless archer instead (bad)

We send two oracles to accompany them and:

1. disable Captain Douche
  2. silence the black mage who’s slowly marching toward us from the other side of the battlefield
  3. finish off Captain Douche

Ramza and another oracle stay down below to disable the knight and silence the black mage.

Once this is done, they can meet up with the rest of the crew to deal with the remaining enemies. At this point, the only real threats are one archer with a crossbow, and the knight. Playing carefully + Delita throwing potions = win.

I’ve never quite been able to put it into words but: FFT Chapter 1 feels like a stage, because generic knights have way too fancy looks and haircuts to be credible as dirt-poor medieval age robbers

II: Sand Rat Cellar

In Sand Rat Cellar, we ambush a few soldiers living in a house.

We’re up against three knights, one archer and two monks.

Unlike every other Final Fantasy, monks are knights with more damage but less HP (because they can’t equip hats)
They eventually get fancy skills but right now they just punch.

Three knights, two monks and one archer don’t look bad, but as usual the archer is a huge problem. He’s hard to reach and can shoot unexplained magic arrows from inside the house (is it a ruin with no rooftop? Is there a FFT exhaustive environment artwork book?)

The house has two entrances. We send two oracles and Delita to the lightly guarded entrance with one monk (1) and two oracles and Algus to the heavily guarded one (2)

The goal of the last two oracles is to benefit from the amalgation of enemies to hit four of them at once with Umbra (Blind) and Hesitation (Disable) This feels really good.
Then they bail to the other side and let Algus act as a decoy and die alone. His evade lets him survive a bit against blinded enemies (but not too long)

Spoilers Algus is the biggest dick so I don’t care

The four oracles and Delita can then kill the lone monk, kill the archer, then throw a few Hesitations to pick the remaining knights one by one.

Done

7 Likes

So basically once you disable everything you surround them with terribly weak magic units and beat them to death with tiny little hits?

Sounds absolutely tedious. This is my favorite thing on sb right now.

4 Likes

They can forsee your death, it just will take some…:plink: time…:tink: to arrive…:thud:

3 Likes

Playing this on my iPhone 6 really brought back the memories.

As in, I got stuck at Wiegraf again like an unprepped dolt.

I mean I’ve beaten the game a few times but that feeling swept me legs out.

1 Like