Now That's What I Call Concept!

Recently been listening to the title track of Here Lies Love and was reminded that half my music taste is just concept albums.

What the heck is a concept album? Gonna go loose on this one and say if there’s any loose theme, idea or narrative that connects the music on an album (that isn’t just genre or common forms like ‘love songs’, ‘folk songs’, ‘ballads’, ‘instrumental music’ etc.).

Share some concept albums.

Here Lies Love - David Byrne/Fatboy Slim - Very poppy, mostly Disneyfied tragedy about Imelda Marcos and the woman who raised her Estrella Cumpas (she was a live-in caretaker for her family when both were quite young). Often a jarring gap between genre and content.

My Machine - Princess Superstar - Messy Sci-fi short about a woman who wants to become the only famous person on the planet through a mixture of cloning and murder. The idea is neat but occasionally buried in supplemental tracks. Told from the perspective of the woman’s distant ancestor during a far-future book report.

Gordon: Van Gogh - Alarm Will Sound - Van Gogh’s letters set to modern classical music. Sounds like what you’d expect but occasionally great vocal parts that come together and transcend the lyrics.

Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030 - Probably doesn’t need much introduction. Galactic revolutionary Deltron has adventures in the 31st century. Stellar (lol) samples and production.

Colours - Ken Nordine - Advertising does something right and we get a fun jazz/spoken word album about colours. Come come big burgundy.

Civilization Phaze 3 - Frank Zappa - Zappa’s big opus. Probably one of my favourite albums. The central thesis is the formal role of humour in music but with immediate lashings of mortality and cynicism. Alternates between spoken word and instrumentals which eventually blur as all sound becomes one. Set in a giant piano in an Orwellian America.

England Made Me - Black Box Recorder - Highly depressing album about what it’s like to live in the hell that is England. Impressionistic narrative scenes about teenage pregnancy, mental illness, swinging, and English denial. Probably best known for its track that summarises growing up as CW: coming to terms with life being unfair, else you should commit suicide. Parts of this probably haven’t aged well but its sound is still instant despair.

Haunted - Poe - Musical companion to House of Leaves.

Whack World - Tierra Whack - 15 minute EP with 15 one-minute long tracks. Keeps to the rule pretty consistently which leads to some cool abrupt transitions times reflecting the idea of fickle flitting from thought to thought.

Plastic Anniversary - Matmos - All tracks were created with only plastic instruments or objects. That’s it.

Hawwah - Gain - EP taking on the biblical anthrogenesis from an eclectic Eve-centric perspective. Rare use of pipe organ throughout a pop track.

Latyrx - Latyrx - Probably not a full-on concept album but I still haven’t heard anything like this since (I may be overegging it). Plays with the idea of having two rappers simulcast on tracks in various ways. The title track literally has two separate voices play in each channel which occasionally sync up. This sets the stage for other playful tracks where winding raps cross-dissolve over each other or a backing beat is reworked with completely different lyrics and choruses midway. Each have plenty solo tracks but these experiments are what sticks with me. Search out the 8 Point Agenda EP for more.

Your Queen is a Reptile - Sons of Kemet - The British Queen is not legitimate. Jazz calling attention to great women. (The video is a mishmash from the album but summarises the concept well)

7 Likes

I love a good concept album!

First off, I’ve got to shout out David Bowie and Brian Eno’s outrageous cyberpunk concept album 1. Outside: The Nathan Adler Diaries, Or The Art Ritual Murder Of Baby Grace Blue: A Non-Linear Gothic Drama Hyper-Cycle, which I talked about at length in this thread:

Dredg - El Cielo - This was my favorite album in high school. I’m not as impressed with it as I used to be, though I still like it well enough. It does have a very fun, all-over-the-place concept. It’s about times where the border between dream and reality become porous, using imagery related to sleep paralysis and the Salvador Dali painting Dream Caused by the Flight of a Bee Around a Pomegranate One Second Before Awakening. The album’s title is a clever pun; the Spanish word “cielo” can mean sky or ceiling, and a common visual during an episode of sleep paralysis is the ceiling of one’s room merging into the sky.

Kate Bush - A Sky of Honey - This is disc 2 of her album Aerial. It’s a song suite that uses the metaphor of a beautiful summer’s day and night to explore experiences of the cosmic and the sublime emerging from daily life. The album’s climax, Nocturne, gives me goosebumps every time. It’s about standing in the ocean after an entire night on the beach, watching the sun rise in front of you. I’ve done this before, and the music really does live up to the experience.

5 Likes

going through music folders and not entirely sure how to distinguish “novelty records” from “concept album” but i’m trying my best. if nothing else i now fully appreciate the sheer amount of trashy novelty records on my hdd so i’m always learning!

lucia pamela takes you to the moon complete with whirring space sounds. the scatting is shambolic. but she’s jaunty as hell!!! possibly the first concept album to be captured in coloring book form: https://www.intoouterspace.com/lucia2000.pdf

cannot tell if the intro narration about the following “satanic verses” justifies it as a concept album but i at least like to imagine most satanic priests enjoy making spooky beats from horror movie samples

yes! why… its criswell!! and hes here with a whole 42 minutes of predictions for the upcoming year of 1970. potentially informative if you like to keep up with “current events”

3 Likes

I don’t know if it’s aged well but when I was younger I surely did get a kick out of Queensryche’s Operation Mindcrime

It’s the story of an impressionable young man getting duped into being a hitman for a “revolution” that is anything but. Should probably just slap a giant TW on the whole thing tbh

3 Likes

I used to love Operation Mindcrime too! Still a few great metal songs in there. The political content is all over the place. Some pretty on-point and spicy critiques of Reaganite America, but then the leader of the revolutionaries turns out to be the biggest villain of them all, lame twist. Also, there’s like an 11 minute song about kissing a nun?

They actually did a sequel album that followed the incredible adventures of that revolutionary as he, like, got involved in the iraq war or something? And the main character chased him and got dramatic revenge? I don’t remember, even in the height of my goofy high school prog rock enthusiasm I could still tell it was kind of bad.

3 Likes