Notably Otherworldly Video Game Worlds

When I was a kid, my favorite arcade game was Victory Road (Ikari Warriors 2). Its main draw for me was the strange, evocative world.

You start out on bridges connecting platforms with glassy surfaces.

Metal panels flip into place and then open to become stone-lined vortexes that pull you and nearby enemies into underground arenas.

Where these chambers are located is not clear, as you must use another portal to leave.

In other places, you walk through flooded ruins.

Artifacts of civilization are everywhere. In addition to flamethrowers and other military weapons, you can pick up metal swords, armor, and boomerangs.

Instruction booklets for different ports include contradictory details about the story. One describes the setting as the city of N’Maqqok on the planet UGC2750+B Gamma, among the ruins of the Tecohti civilization. Another sets the game in a far-future Earth after the soldiers from the first game fly a plane into a mysterious storm.

But these may simply be attempts to make something up for English-speaking audiences. The arcade version seems to be silent, other than the taunting words of that floating head and the vague text at the end.

victory_road_ending_words

34 Likes

Space Funeral by thecatamites is another good one.

https://gamejolt.com/games/space-funeral/3492

This game’s surreal environments work especially well for players who are accustomed to walking around in normal-looking JRPG worlds. Even if what you see turns out to be a corrupted version of one of these normal worlds, the effect remains.

space_funeral01

space_funeral04

space_funeral03

And, of course, the BBC Radiophonic Workshop music also helps build atmosphere.

4 Likes

This is it - my favorite look for games. Gonna be keeping an eye on this thread.

ALANTIA

MUGEN SENSHI VALIS

What even is this setting? Are we in a tundra in the mountains by an ocean inside a cave?

All the versions of Valis look amazing (except the Famicom one). Some of the most startling and evocative looks go sadly unused for inspiration.

15 Likes

KARNOV

PALADIN’S QUEST

8 Likes

Any idea what the original influence is for spherical things held up by vines/tendrils/roots?

1 Like

500390158_preview_WayneHeadMelt3c536

hylics13

hylics27

nDDrT1

19 Likes

I don’t know. A sphere is often wholesome or artificial, so seeing it get broken up by organic cracks contrasts excitingly. So maybe it’s just repeatedly evoked independently, or maybe there’s some anime like Laputa with a distinctive scene of a ball suspended by roots, and everyone’s riffing of that.

edit: I mean like how all the floating ruined castles in video games tend to point to their designers having watched Laputa.

edit: In the case of a plant with a weirdly spherical tuft, I would bet they got it by exaggerating the idea of an “iconic tree”

e.g. Trees with cylindrical trunks

Evidence suggests that European artists who were aiming for lush realism instead of abstracted cuteness would go the other direction and make their trees DISGUSTINGLY GNARLED, which usually worked against them.

8 Likes

Zeno Clash
th640GJT1Eth321P3CXT

thBCS6KFXIth0T81LG7JthPQTZI584th6R4JSOPQthNW9DVPKJthSR7S89G5

12 Likes

Kujaku Ou 2 / Mystic Defenders

See the grotesque games thread for more!

Ork

1 Like

i would believe anyone who told me the origin point was Nausicaä

3 Likes

I like the look of those Valis games. I’d seen the NES and PC Engine versions before, but they never struck me as particularly noteworthy. Some of the messy, expansive areas in the FM-7 and MSX versions, however, are quite appealing.

Another game that had a nice, alien feel to me was Spiderbot (also known as Arac) on the C64. You control a robot that goes around capturing wildlife to analyze them and improve its own design.

arac_06

arac_05

arac_07

2 Likes

Jesus this thread rules so hard

3 Likes

I’m not sure if this counts, but the looping 2d space and heavily tiled backgrounds of Metal Storm always strike me as otherworldly. But only in motion, I guess.

5 Likes

Vangers

6 Likes

Sacrifice

Sacrifice%20(3)
downloadfilesacrifice_5l

6 Likes

so is space harrier in here yet or what

altered destiny

altered-destiny_6
altereddestiny-4

9 Likes