(Non-Game) Vinyl Records That You Own or Covet

image_1213093_ae2ed0d4-25c9-4c79-8988-5fe2d003e6ce_grande

Pretty pleased with the bootleg reissue of this from ten years’ back when it was impossible to find in any format and the perfect excuse to own tastefully nude cover art with something for everyone.

2 Likes

oh yeah! thats a thing!

3 Likes

I visited the record store in my city again today and found a cheap used copy of JuJu by Siouxsie and the Banshees. I’d mainly listened to their newer albums until Starblood recommended this one a few years ago on SB. Now it’s one of my favorites and I was happy to pick up a vinyl copy.

I also got a good deal on a new copy of La Roux, and I am listening to it right this minute.

3 Likes

the story behind this cover photo is kind of gross/creepy tho bc stevie nicks really didn’t want to do it and lindsey buckingham basically pressured her into it

album rules tho

I suppose knowing this means it must now be stored beneath the floorboards where I keep Blind Faith.

Good album/s.

1 Like

im reviving this thread for advice on turntables and speakers, i’ve decided to start trying to actively listen to music again after noticing there are tons of places that sell weird old records here that would be fun to explore

but because i don’t have any audio equipment or a record collection i am starting from scratch, and thinking that in order to actually have music to listen to i should figure out a streaming situation too

what’s the least painful way to do this in 2k19? i had my eye on the non-bluetooth version of the audio technica turntable in the top post

if i also want to do shit like spotify, is this the sort of thing that requires some kind of dedicated “”"“sonos”"""" type thing or are there cheaper ways to put it together? buying audio equipment is even more terrifying than buying a tv because as soon as you look for advice on it you get 10,000 words about fidelity or whatever

help

the audio-techinca turntables are good. imo just buy a technics receiver off of ebay and some decent bookshelf speakers and you’re fine if you just want a small setup. idk anything abt getting spotify working with it though

1 Like

i have a friend with an audio technica turntable (i think it’s an lp60 or something?) and edifier speakers that have bluetooth as well as line in etc. so they can just play spotify from their phone or whatever, seems good

I don’t know anything about fidelity (other than that I avoid 128 Kbps MP3 files) but I can say that it is very convenient to have the sound bar that my TV uses also double as the speaker for my record player. (And, of course, it can also play anything sent from a phone or other such device.) In my situation, at least, Bluetooth is a good feature.

Also, the exact player I have is cheaper than I got it for right now on Amazon (if you are not opposed to Amazon and if you are not opposed to supporting “Black Friday” deals, assuming that’s why it’s discounted).

I can’t tell you whether the one I have is better or worse than any other, though.

Also, I got another record since the last time I posted in this thread. One of my favorite albums:

1 Like

if i were to buy a pair of off the shelf speakers nowish i would buy Elac Debut B6.2s, imagine prob could find a used pair of older B6s in the one hundred smacker range

oh yeah since I last posted here I got the new Arthur Russell release Iowa Dream and it is so so good

2 Likes

ahh i pre-ordered this and it still hasn’t shown up. been avoiding listening to it digitally but glad to hear it’s great, of course it is

Managed to figure this shit out and get it working. Stripping wires is a pain in the ass.

Picked up turn on the warm jets to have something to listen to and yeah, he’s fucking Eno. Love this album.

Excited to have a new way to dispose of my hard earned cash.

2 Likes

went to my local record shop and I found a near mint original pressing of the first they might be giants lp

I’m stlll over the moon about it

they aren’t rare or anything you can get them on discogs for like $30 but it still felt super special to find one in the wild, esp in my hometown.

5 Likes

I forgot I also have a record that’s a bunch of Robert Frost’s poems being read aloud by Robert Frost, which is sort of neat. I’m a lot less into Frost than I was as a teen but I couldn’t pass it up when I saw it.

I still don’t have a record player

2 Likes

I’m looking into maybe getting one of those turntable-in-a-suitcase deals because I absolutely do not have space to set something up permanently. Anybody use one of those?

1 Like

Same Question.

They suck.

But also consider if that matters.

1 Like

Considering that I mostly listen to oddities and novelties on vinyl… probably not.

i need some gabby pahinui LPs
also townes van zandt

this record is very special
https://www.amazon.com/Best-B-B-King-Vinyl/dp/B00008FD1C