Nier 2

yeah I fished a bunch in the flooded city too. fuck you, game. then I gave the couple 50k g but beat the game before I ever finished their quest chain

Anyone who got the PC version - howā€™s the port? Any issues?

Runs a little rougher than youā€™d expect based on the graphical complexity. I settled on medium settings, no AA, and 1440p for 50-60 fps on a Haswell i5 and GTX 980.

In fullscreen thereā€™s a bug where the frame buffer is 900p and the frame rate also takes a hit so Iā€™ve been using windowed and a tray app called borderless gaming to fix it.

The intro sequence in particular runs poorly relative to the scene complexity, but once you get into the game proper itā€™s OK.

I wouldnā€™t say thatā€™s that much rougher than expected ā€“ a 980 is a little more than twice as powerful as the PS4 GPU, but 1440p is also a little more than twice as many pixels as 900p. itā€™s true the game never looks that graphically complex but the character models are all pretty nice, thereā€™s a lot of stuff onscreen at certain times, and most of the games that run at 60fps on PS4 are up-ports from prior generations, so I donā€™t think theyā€™re that far wide of their mark here

Is the PS4 version no AA as well?

Iā€™m now playing on a 1080p screen and itā€™s at 60 fps the majority of the time.

It looks good to be sure! Itā€™s just the first time Platinum PC ports have increased requirements and they mean it.

no idea, I only play PS4 stuff on a 720p display (my projector, or remote play) so everything looks supersampled

Hmm. I found something strange and Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s an easter egg or something Iā€™m supposed to come across in the future.

Fun!

1 Like

finished loop 3, still feels like so many things left to do

Ending E: Major meta-sentiments. Nudged the whole experience into an A+.

1 Like

peeked at a guide: mother of god there are 26 endings

1 Like

Only 5 of those are actual endings, though. The rest are jokes.

1 Like

It took me a while to setup but after some tweaking itā€™s running very smoothly.

I did find out that it wasnā€™t initially usually my graphics card for whatever dumb reason and had to mess with some options to get that fixed. It also doesnā€™t seem to be very optimized.

Game is gorgeous and wonderful. I can give my specs and how Iā€™m running it if youā€™re interested (playing on a laptop).

Iā€™m curious - is the ā€œself-destructā€ function meaningful at all?

The sloppiness of the combat is just now starting to get to me. Iā€™m getting way to many of those ā€œI know I hit the button at the right time but missed the dodgeā€ moments. Up to now the boss fights really havenā€™t had that feeling of satisfaction of knowing an action to counter and then trying to get as big a reward as you can. Itā€™s fine enough for the standard encounters in the field but I was hoping boss fights mightā€™ve played it closer to Platinumā€™s usual fare.

1 Like

I just started loop b and I wished a little I was playing in Japanese for the end, but this game throws too much information at me to parse it while fighting and doing stuff so English will have to do.

On the plus side one of the pods is voiced by this girl I knew in Japan, so that was cool to find out!

2 Likes

The combat is designed a lot more like the original Nier than is initially made clear, but thereā€™s just enough Platinum Trappings to cause problems, like your wonky showboat attack animations and The Fucking Bayonetta Dodge. These are two flavors that really donā€™t go great together, and a lot of the game is struggling to reconcile these somehow.

I really wish you could independently switch main pod attacks and cooldown pod attacks, rather than both as a set, without going into the menus. I mean, going into the pause menus is basically always safer, especially with the US versionā€™s normal Circle/X Confirmation Confusion, but it makes the quick switch feel a lot less useful.

Hard Mode gets a lot more bearable once you upgrade weapons and start stacking Max HP Up, so you can get an extra 20% health and take two hits before dying against anything thatā€™s not a boss. But the multiplier for fighting higher-level enemies is really brutal, and makes certain side-quests basically impossible without either leaving for a while (because grinding is not particularly easy) or finding a risky cheeseball strategy to fight dangerous enemies, like other YorHa units, who donā€™t telegraph attacks, or the robot with the unbreakable shield and the lightning AOE stomp.

edit edit: Iā€™m glad there are still sidequests that just straight-up end badly for everyone involved.

It gives you at least one of the joke endings and later on it becomes something else

There is a sidequest where you bug test a video game

God I love this game

1 Like

itā€™s improved if you play it right after gravity rush 2 and yakuza 0, so you can rememeber that the entire nation of japan still has not realized that itā€™s difficult to use the right analog stick and face buttons simultaneously

Seriously, this one had me cracking up. I love the items you had to go get for it too.

1 Like

Wait, are you not using the lock on? I havenā€™t really had a problem with the right stick/face buttons, but I normally am not too bothered by that.