Name Your Zelda Name

I’d ask my sister to pop it in and tell me (I have her my Super and impeccable game collection long ago for her birthday) but I’m sure the battery backup is long dead

I popped my GBC copy of Link’s Awakening in the other day and teared up a bit when I saw my younger sister’s save file from 1999.

2 Likes

billy is the funniest name in the world to me because of double dragon and arfenhaus

2 Likes

I always just stick with link I just don’t care that much

1 Like

I preemptively set my name to THIEF

11 Likes

I think the only game where I really try hard to name my dudes is Worms

4 Likes

Toan, which I stole from Dark Cloud. It just sounds better than Link to me.

For some reason with games like Dragon Quest I always go with something like “Johan” instead of my actual name because “John” because “John” just sounds too dumb for a protag in such a fantasy world (shots fired, GRRM), but I’m not cool enough to come up with something new.

Except when I started DQB2 I went with Xerxes.

my favorite version of this was a coworker (james) who made an RPG maker game when he was in his…teens? and his main character, who was awesome and cool and badass, was named “Jams.” I loved that.

5 Likes

He might have been an adult when he made the game though

always named him zelda in the original and only realized that my entire life i’d only been playing the “second quest” as an adult

10 Likes

i named my pokemon trainer Statboy

don’t ask me why

4 Likes

because that is a name that rules for a pokemon trainer?

3 Likes

link has always just been link

dragon quest, on the other hand…

well, i played through 3 on snes immediately after finishing 11 and named my girl hero lumi, with my party being aria, nova, and moon. boys get named zeno. :B except for 7 boy, he’s sieben because it pairs well with kiefer and it’s an obvious but imo cute numerical pun. better than calling 8 boy ‘eight’…

1 Like

I had a streak when I would name link “proper” names like Reginald, Chadwick, Franklin, you get the gist.

2 Likes

oh no i laughed at a rage comic

8 Likes

As a kid I went with just my name, mainly a matter of practicality when you’ve got two brothers with their own saves.

2 Likes

yep, +1

2 Likes

When I was playing Pokemon X/Y I broke from my “never nickname Pokemon except my absolute favorite Growlithe” tradition to “name every Pokemon, even the dozens of babies I’m wondertrading away” and would just name every Pokemon whatever first came to mind.

I wonder sometimes how annoyed people were to get Charmanders named “Wanda” and Eevees named “Excalibur” or whatever. I’m always delighted when I end up with a nicknamed Pokemon, but I’m probably pretty unusual as far as that goes, I’m guessing now.

2 Likes

I once got a Snorlax named JAPAN in an online trade and you better believe I treasured that mother.

Its original master was in Japan and, I assume, 5 years old.

3 Likes