n64 - 20 years on

Came across this thread and skimmed over it. Wanted to say how pleased I was to see Forsaken 64, Space Station Silicon Valley, and Glover mentioned in @meauxdal’s opening post. Lots of good games besides those ofc, but it’s cool to see the weird ones that aren’t on the breath of every single video gamer ever. Is Jet Force Gemini considered “well known”? I know it’s a Rare title, but it seems to get talked about very rarely (hah) compared to their other games.

Glover had such a gorgeous soundtrack, I still listen to some of it’s songs just for the sake of it.

Forsaken 64 was such an amazing multiplayer game. The campaign was good, but boy, the multiplayer was something else when everyone was competent and evenly matched. Also an amazing soundtrack as well.

Yoshi’s Story is obv a well known title, but I’m still going to mention it because it was my first ever N64 game, and what a great game it was! Not only was it the first N64 game I got, but it was the first proper game I ever played all the way through and actually beat with my own two hands, at the age of 7 or 8. I distinctly remember feeling euphoric, very literally, after beating it and watching the end credits. Walked around all light headed and super happy, babbling about my experience to whatever adult would listen.

If only that could be the consistent experience of video gaming as I got older.

Speaking of soundtracks, the Yoshi’s Story end credits theme really gets me, but it is entirely possible that is due to nostalgia and sentimentality because of the above.

Other random N64 memories and tidbits that live in my head rent free:

• That fucking blister mini game in Mario Party
  • “IT’S DANGEROUS!!!”
  • Playing my brother at Super Smash Brothers and him crying because I kept beating him and my mom telling me to be a good brother and let him win. What the fuck. You don’t just let someone win at Super Smash Brothers! Not even your little brother. Perhaps especially not your little brother.
  • “HERE COMES A BIG ONE!”
9 Likes