Mystery Science News Thread 3,000

The closest we got to a new Amusement Vision-SMB was a minigame in a 500 yen Vita app for Yakuza 0. No idea if it’s worth downloading/paying for as Vita downloads are region-locked. The full-fledged SMB Vita game (don’t know if AV/whatever Nagoshi’s team is called now did it) was probably supposed to be good? It had a random level generator…

http://kotaku.com/rockstar-north-boss-leslie-benzies-is-out-after-nearly-1752495562[quote=“kotaku”]
The man in charge of the regional Rockstar studio long credited with handling the bulk of development for the Grand Theft Auto games is no longer at the company, Rockstar confirmed to Kotaku today. The company said Rockstar North studio head Leslie Benzies had been on sabbatical for the past 17 months.

Rockstar North has had a less GTA-centric role in the past decade, as they and other regional Rockstar studios have been credited with sharing the work on the company’s major games, including the seemingly all-hands-on-deck 2013 GTA V.
[/quote]

:astonished:

Was not expecting this.

[quote]Famitsu: "So, why do you think Mr Kojima used moby dick references in MGSV? "

Kenji Yano: To tell the truth, Mr Kojima had already told me his ideas about MGSV in 2011. At that point, all the themes were already in his mind. Phantom Pain, vocal cord parasites, race and revenge, and of course, Moby Dick too.

But at this point, Ishmael was Huey. Snake was Ahab and Diamond Dogs were fighting with America. Huey was sided with America, and the story was supposed to be told from him, from America’s view of justice.The reason the role of Ishmael changed from Huey to BIGBOSS will be revealed later.[/quote]

1 Like

What the hell that actually makes me want to play that.

Gamestop is officially fucked

http://news.yahoo.com/amazon-prime-now-offers-20-220725034.html

1 Like

Well, Best Buy has been doing their Gamers’ Club thing for years and that’s 20% all the time, even on sale prices instead of just pre-orders and a 2-week post-release window and Gamestop weathered that

I must have a different view of things because I’m literally a 3-minute walk away from a Gamestop and it’s more satisfying to get up on a day when a game comes out and walk over before lunch and have a new game. And not having Prime at the moment.

I think Amazon will be a different beast to contend with considering Prime offers you much more than Best Buy can, and it’s not like Best Buy is a place that people really go to pick up new games anyway.

Like you, I do enjoy the occasional trip to a brick and mortar store but at the end of the day I am not made of money and I would feel guilty knowing I could get a new game about 12 bucks cheaper if I just wait a day or two.

1 Like

Yeah not to sound like a corporate cheerleader but of all the memberships/subscriptions I have Amazon Prime just seems to keep becoming a better and better deal.

1 Like

Bet the beginning 5 hours are horrible trash still. There’s no easy way to make Twilight Princess better.

I’ve been following Gamestop stock for a few years now. Like every retail company they are various levels of fucked.

2 Likes

lol

I’ll give TP this - the ‘dark world’ heavily smeared visual filtering with the muffled bgm was a pretty striking place to be

They probably should’ve just stuck with that entirely

2 Likes

I think most (all? just some?) Amazon pre-orders ship early to arrive on release date?

Was wondering what the deal with that email I got was, assumed they were just running a sale on SF5.

I’m pretty sure Amazon marks which games are eligible for release day delivery, and I think you need to do two-day shipping for it (so Prime members would get it regardless)

I’m fine with not resubbing to Prime until I do taxes, mostly because I’ve gone mostly digital this generation and the only outstanding pre-order I have is Gravity Rush Remastered (buy the game, support mediocre Japanese open world games in America)

1 Like

I’d have already bought it if 2 didn’t look so much better!

1 Like

My appeals to buy the original is the sneaking suspicion that SCEA will unceremoniously poop the sequel out, since that seemed to be the plan for the remaster. Hell, when the remaster was announced at TGS, the US blog was the only one to not talk about it, while the EU side had a release date ready. We weren’t even getting a physical version until a couple of months ago and even that is an Amazon exclusive.

With that said, I’m probably making a lot of noise for a game that maybe doesn’t deserve it, but I’m putting my money where my mouth is.

< hates physical media and is thus totally OK with unceremonious pooping because it usually means I only pay forty bucks instead of sixty or seventy

That game is not good, but it is great.