MUWT 2: The Quickening

no way four is actually a good movie and canonically connected to 3!!! joey gets his voice back! KINCAIDS DOG IS NAMED JASON! FOUR RULES

five is kinda continuous since alice is still in it, so she adds a level of interesting beyond the deaths

6 is all deaths and daddy issues though for sure

the way freddy taps into peoples fears in a really deep but FUNNY way could have made 394839843 more sequels by different directors. i think about how my favorite filmmakers would direct a freddy death sometimes for fun! ahhhhhhh

like the closest series recently (i havent seen IT yet but after the freddy comparisons im curious) was the final destination movies, but instead of tapping into specific characters cartoonishly specific fears it tapped into the audiences general anxiety
also, they kinda suck. 2 and 3 were fun though

yeah the only cool thing about the remake was when freddy would cross over from dream world and affect reality, like the scene where he was knocking shit off shelves BUT THEY DIDNT DO IT ENOUGH

instead they really lean into that pedo angle, including that wayyyyy too long scene where shes in the little girl dress and freddys sniffing her legs or some shit

1 Like

let’s take this beloved campy horror figure and treat them seriously was the approach of that entire wave of remakes and it was uniformly bad. if i wanted pathology in my horror movies i would watch more giallo, thanks

5 Likes

robert englund saying kevin bacon should play freddy has been one of my favorite bits of Celebrity News in recent weeks

2 Likes

i threw a party where we watched freddy movies back to back wearing white shirts and freddy gloves where the knives were different colored markers

every time there was an attack scene in the movie we all attacked eachother with the markers i want to throw this party again sometime it was SO FUN

gonna watch freddy 4 tomorrow

1 Like

oh man maybe i should watch all the freddy movies for october, i haven’t seen a single one

4 Likes

DO. IT.

As someone who is always READY FOR FREDDY I’m still coming to terms with this (from NOES 2):

I mean, Freddy’s Revenge was intent on adapting the mythos laid down by the original (the fact that he can cross over into reality, for one) but I like the idea that Freddy has all these children’s souls just taking up space and decided to make himself some devil dogs with cherub faces.

2 Likes

NOES 2 is a wild one, there must be something written about how a lot of 80’s horror sequels toyed with going in radically different directions for part 2 but then went a more formulaic route for more subsequent episodes

every classic horror franchise basically has one movie that is like “What if Splinter of the Mind’s Eye Actually Got Made Between Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back”

2 Likes

I like how even the 6-hour documentary reveals how the production crew were extremely naïve about the very-obvious gay subtext running throughout (also note that the lead, Mark Patton, was an open homosexual). It’s been awhile since I saw it last but they could’ve added more about Jessie and Grady’s macho love-hate relationship as it always seemed shoehorned that Jessie would seek Grady’s help in watching over him and not Lisa, who he was actually dating at the time (or HINT BLOODY HINT).

3 Likes

freddy 2 is so good because the director put tons of gay subtext (is it even subtext? like maybe the COCKS on the kitchen wall are but i think guys dry humping eachother in gym class isnt to subltle)

it was super cool to have a dude in what is usually a womans role in horror movies too! THERES NO LAST SURVIVOR BOYS IN THE EIGHTIES
that gay ass movie came out in the middle of the fucking aids panic so it was A BOLD MOVE

mark patton got the role because his agents figured he could never play someone straight anyway… his boyfriend died a few years later and he decided to leave hollywood. for the documentary NEVER SLEEP AGAIN they fucking hired a private investigator to track his ass down in mexico, where he was living privately with his new partner. i thought that was dick, but he got reunited with the cast members and stuff, so i dont know how dick it really is

if you love freddy movies watch never sleep again

2 Likes

I had not heard of this until loki mentioned it in the favourite films of the 2010s thread. I looked it up and it sounded like something I would enjoy, even though I have seen very few of the Elm Street films. I ordered a copy, which arrived today.

Until this week, I had seen only the first and third entries. I’ve now seen the fourth one, too. Although a step down from the two I’d seen previously, it has some creative scenes. I especially liked the bathroom stall becoming an elevator. That’s the sort of thing movies need more of.

I used to go to pawn shops somewhat regularly, looking for movies. I didn’t even watch a lot of movies. I just liked collecting them when they were extremely cheap. Where I live, there are a couple shops that sell all DVDs for 75 cents and all Blu-ray discs for $2. One of the DVDs I picked up a few years ago was A Nightmare on Elm Street 1-4. That’s about 19 cents per movie. I guess I should go ahead and watch the second one, now that it’s the only one that I own but haven’t watched.

Another thing I watched this week was the first episode of Freddy’s Nightmares, which is a prequel to the first Elm Street movie. When that show originally aired on television, I think the only episode I ever saw was the game show one.

1 Like

ohh yeah i used to watch freddys nightmares all the time! i even stole a credit card to call his 900 number once

freddy 4 has my favorite dream logic in it. where things just happen because they flow together, and it makes sense in a way, but not a realistic one

i think the dream logic of 4 is so bizarre because the original script was written by william kotzwinkle, who became one of my favorite writers when i was 11 because my uncle gifted me doctor rat

i didnt make the freddy connection til later, adn im still wondering if its a different william kotzwinkle

Rambo: Last Blood is a bad, weird post-Trump Mexsplotation film for the first hour and then becomes Rambo speedrunning Tecmo’s Deception for the last half hour and is probably the funniest comedy I’ve seen all year, which probably says something about me but really pinning a man against a wall with four arrows and then walking up to him and carving his chest open and pulling out his beating heart and holding it up to his face can only read as parody at this point

4 Likes

hahha holy shit

want to go to this movie and scream with increasing sense of peril ‘oh no rambo’s gettin mad!’ ‘oh no rambo’s all pissed off now!!!’ “oooh shit rambo’s so mad at that guy!!!”

3 Likes

Stallone must still be having fun acting. Because last year I saw him on twitter around a campfire, “officially” retiring himself as Rocky.

But the other night on Fallon, he said he’s got an idea for another one. And there might be another Expendables, too. AND he’s at least producing something for Dolph and they might be in something new together, as well.

2 Likes

I watched Yesterday.

Its a bummer that this movie couldn’t possibly be marketed, without spoiling the premise. It would have been real fun to have seen it, without knowing what was coming.

Nearly everything it does, it wears right on its sleeve. And while it has some good things to say here and there, and it is kinda fun in the first half: it never really digs in. I especially wish it would have had a little more to say about music and its preciousness. It ends up being an adequate love story. Spoiled a bit by taking the super happy, big show of an ending (for the love story), rather than something maybe a little more mature and less outright happy time for the viewer or something.

daphny and i watched freddy 4. its really good

2 Likes

I watched Paradise Hills and if the Hunger Games capitol city fashion aesthetic is a delicious bowl of ice cream with all the toppings then this movie is exactly one small italian ice. Very corny sub-YA plotting. It’s a very odd movie like The Prisoner for 12 year olds maybe? BUT it does have extremely fun to look at sets and art design and Milla Jovovich does really get to ham it up in a scene where she basically plays Poison Ivy from Batman. Very good screensaver 11/10

1 Like

Stolen Death, 1938 film about finnish resistance to tsarist russia, by a director who was later killed in the winter war

4 Likes