Mortal Shell 2 🐚 (Store-Brand Dark Souls?)

I wasn’t aware of this game (or the first one), but a friend kept telling me I’d like it and that was accurate. It’s kind of a stripped-down version of the Dark Souls formula, focused mostly on exploration of a well-realized grimdark world.

It has

  • Good atmosphere.
  • Bosses that aren’t too hard, or if they are too hard you can run past or away from them and come back when they are no longer too hard.
  • No stamina meter. You can run and attack all you want.
  • Various weapons and ā€œshellsā€ (basically classes that you can switch out like clothes), though so far I haven’t found anything I like better than the starting weapon (Iconoclast, which resembles the Dark Souls Claymore) and the first shell I came across (Proxima).
  • Occasional reminders that there’s a story.
  • Occasional surprising gimmicks that are fun to encounter.
  • The option to choose blocking, parrying, ā€œhardeningā€ (turning to stone for a second), or a fourth thing that apparently makes the game very easy. (I haven’t tried that one.) I keep the blocking one equipped but I never really use it, relying on dodging when needed instead.
  • Difficulty sliders such as the ability to switch on a ā€œnight modeā€ that makes everything a little harder and adds a few more secrets, and an ā€œadaptive difficultyā€ setting that makes enemies stronger or weaker depending on how often you die. (I haven’t tried this.)
  • A structure where you never know when a dungeon is going to be like two small rooms or the ruins of a sprawling underground city.
  • Some rooms that are too dark to see properly, which can be a pain but I refuse to turn up the gamma and make things look washed-out.
  • No co-op. There are NPC summons, I guess like in Lies of P but simpler, but so far I haven’t used any because they require a resource I’d rather use on other things.
  • Some bugs, but nothing too bad.
11 Likes

I played the beginning of Mortal Shell 1 at some point… Maybe it was on PS+ or something. I didn’t get far but I did have more fun with it than I expected to. Store-Brand Dark Souls is exactly what it is, but they did a good enough job with the gameplay feel that it’s fun in a similar kind of way. It’s a bit too relentlessly grey for me though.

2 Likes

From what I’ve read, the second game is an improvement over the first one in almost every way. But I can’t say anything about that from experience.

The color palette is drab, kind of like MudRunner (whereas Elden Ring is more along the lines of SnowRunner). Most of the color you get is from fields of (single-hue) flowers when you come across those. But the environments are nice and detailed and I find the depressing slog aesthetic appealing (in both this game and in MudRunner).

3 Likes

A friend bought this for me, and I really can’t see what he loves about it. It is just too derivative for me. Everything about the two hours I played was so boring.

2 Likes

For me I think this is the Dark Souls equivalent to how every so often I play another game along the lines of Super Metroid or Symphony of the Night. Even though there’s no way the clone is going to measure up, I like the variety and sometimes unique character shines through despite blatantly borrowing the framework (as with Lies of P).

This game has grown on me the more I’ve played it. If the opposite happened to you after a couple hours it’s probably not going to do anything later to change your mind.

5 Likes

One day I’ll trick someone on this forum into playing Enotria. Heck Wourme might trick me into playing Mortal Shell 2.

3 Likes

It could happen to anyone.

Last night I got a new weapon that I might actually use. It’s called the Axatana and it’s basically a Bloodborne trick weapon. But I have the starting weapon fully upgraded now and not enough materials for both so I don’t know when I will make the switch.

The Starved Harridan miniboss is tough. The first time I tried it, it knocked me off a cliff onto a ledge that’s really not supposed to be accessible. Or maybe that exact situation is intentional. I had no choice but to jump off and die, losing a large number of gloom (souls). In this game, you can shoot your lost souls to retrieve them; otherwise it would have been impossible because they were on the little ledge. However, I couldn’t get a shot at them from high above so I had to jump down there again and die in just the right spot so I could shoot them the next time.

4 Likes

It’s me, I’m the mark.

2 Likes

nice trees

I managed to beat this one but two others are stopping me in my tracks (snow and sewer). Fortunately, Elden Ring-style, there are still other places I can go for now.

I got a trophy for discovering all the map pieces, so I must be getting close to the end of the game.

That said, I’ve barely touched night mode and I don’t know how much actual extra content that includes. The one time I tried it I discovered a night-only ā€œdungeonā€ that was first-person with no fighting, only puzzles.

1 Like

That rocks.

1 Like

I finally beat the snow boss after finding a couple new tarstones and getting them to level 3, but then I came across another boss that I found even more difficult (scholar-prince).

Since I was running out of areas to explore and knew I’d probably quit the game if all I had left were difficult bosses (I absolutely do not play Dark Souls-type games for the challenging boss fights), I decided to try the ā€œadaptive difficultyā€ setting that I guess changes some numbers if you die a lot.

I did die a lot, and I assume it was more that setting than my skill improving that allowed me to eventually get through that fight. Now I have two gate bosses left to go, and whatever comes after that.

I guess I see why some of the negative reviews for this game say that they wanted to give it a good rating but their opinion plummeted when they reached the last few bosses. They particularly say that about the final boss, so I guess there’s that to look forward to.

2 Likes

Here’s a screenshot I took one time when I fell through the floor.

3 Likes

Reached the final area. I like it, except for the bosses. Those really bring the experience down, just as I’d heard.

Especially the final boss. I don’t know that I’ll be able to beat that one even with the adaptive difficulty setting turned on. I guess there’s one more tool I haven’t used, the ā€œSlayer Sealā€ (which is supposed to be the game’s easy mode but I’ve never resorted to it).

There’s a hidden dungeon that has the exact layout of the first level in Doom.

2 Likes