Mortal Kombat XI reveal livestream starting now

The beta for this is up and it’s pretty alright.

Kinda wish there was a faster way to see/swap out moves from custom builds? Even just a quick little animation with damage info, or something!

They’ve swapped the usual end poses and such with Injustice 2 style super slow-mo cinematic poses. It’s OK, I guess? A lot of MKX’s fatalities ended with a bunch of weird gobs of flesh wiggling like Jell-O around a vivisected corpse, so these are at least more thought out.

That’s a lot to say that I haven’t figured out all the changes to the combat just yet. Looks like they went back on the initial reveal of having EX moves performed with individual, bespoke button combinations in favor of tapping R1 to enhance moves, which, yeah! Good!

They’ve also changed the way characters and combos feel a pretty good deal, though. Maybe there’s a way to change it, but having Scorpion immediately follow his spear throw with throwing his enemy behind them and slashing them in the back is kinda jarring? I’m used to the usual stun effect that has, so I guess it’ll definitely feel different from MK9 and X.

1 Like