Mort Garson

When I was young, I saw Son of Blob (a.k.a. Beware! the Blob) on television. I don’t know whether I watched the whole thing, but the opening credits always stuck with me. I watched it again recently and found that it was pretty terrible, but I still like the opening credits:

It turns out that the music that accompanies the kitten is by Mort Garson, who is also responsible for the album “Plantasia.” That’s the album rumored to have inspired some of the music for The Legend of Zelda. If you’re unfamiliar with those rumors, this link jumps to a part that should sound somewhat familiar:

I guess there is one other scene in Son of Blob that I found at least somewhat entertaining. It’s when the guy is singing and playing his guitar in the sewer.

Also, here is a link to Plantasia, in case you have not heard it and would like to:

Edit, three years later: It looks like the video I originally linked to was taken down due to a copyright claim. Probably related to the fact that the album can now be legitimately purchased again. But here’s another video that focuses on just the part that’s similar to Zelda:

7 Likes

isn’t Plantasia of special importance to @bigheadmode or did i mix this up with someone else

1 Like

bhm did mention this album one time! i’ve been trying to buy it on vinyl ever since.

Oh yeah, you had a whole thread about it.

Thanks for the download link! It’s a nice little pile of good vibes.

I’ve only known about Plantasia for about six months, actually. A friend of mine found it when he impulsively searched for “music for plant.” Obviously, we were both blown away.

Since then, I’ve run across other Mort Garson albums on YouTube, and they’re all pretty great. Toups poste an astrology one a while ago.

Anyone into Mort should definitely checkout Raymond Scott’s elecronic works.

Mort Garson did the song that’s in the opening for The Adventure Zone podcast https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX-n_lJlJ68

1 Like

Was trying to remember that name while plowing through my tomita records the other night! Thanks.

Mort has quickly become a hero of mine after hearing about him on here. Black mass such a great piece of work.

2 Likes

Wow, I thought for sure that was a recent song by a fan!

i don’t hear much zelda in that section, but i’d need to listen more closely

i do hear zelda in this:

1 Like

Compare with

ahh, i hear the similarity now (was looking for similarities to zelda 1 tunes). it’s a bit of a stretch though; the rhythm is the same for about a bar and a half, as is the melodic contour and underlying chord structure, but the actual content (relative to key) is different. i could see it, but it’s not like the kondo tune in question requires an explanation or explicit influence; it’s a rather simple little tune

here’s one i consider a bit less of a stretch, for reference:

compare to the bridge in SMB overworld

listening again i think maybe i’m fucked in the head? i hear the motif more clearly and i think what i said earlier might only apply to a different part, later on

You can get Plantasia on vinyl from Bandcamp now, in case you are still looking and were not aware. There’s even an attractive green version (but only one copy left as of this writing).

2 Likes

wow! thanks

this is the best song from plantasia

mort garson also wrote music for cosmic sounds:

and black mass lucifer:

Yesss thank you!!

I hope one of you got the last green record (if you wanted it). Mine came in today, and it’s very nice.

It came with a digital copy of the album in the form of a code printed on a “seed card” that you can plant to grow wildflowers. I may put it in a dedicated pot to see what happens and document it in this thread. I don’t need the digital copy because that was included with my Bandcamp purchase. If anyone wants the code for the MP3s, let me know.

The record also came with a booklet which, in addition to what I assume is the original content, includes an introduction that mentions Garson’s influence on Koji Kondo. It also includes some tips for growing plants.

I got mine today!

But it came pretty dang warped :stampstampstamp: :stampstampstamp: :stampstampstamp:

I’d been unaware of Garson’s album under the name Lucifer until this thread. I’ve been listening to it, and it’s also a fun one. It looks like it can be downloaded at Archive.org.

And I just learned that he also released an album under the name Ataraxia.

I don’t know enough about records to know how effectually that can be corrected. As far as I can tell, my copy is not warped at all. I wonder if it can be exchanged.

Edit: Now they are offering a different green version.