Mischief Shakers (the Booze thread)

Friend of mine made me aware of this beer

No reports on how it tastes but I bet it’s somehow a big old hassle!!

5 Likes

I get drinks frequently with my friend Phil after work and the bar we favor has what they call “mystery beers,” for $2 which as Phil explained it was basically beer the bar’s liquor distributor sells to them super cheap because they have a large surplus or otherwise can’t offload them. When you order one they just reach into a big fridge without looking and you have to deal with what they hand you. Since Phil usually pays for my drinks and that bar doesn’t stock ginger beer and thus I can’t get my beloved Moscow mules, I’ve been opting for the mystery beers the last several months. It’s given me the opportunity to try many different types of beer i wouldn’t order normally, and now I know I’m not fan on IPAs or pale ales or anything super hoppy, but I can choke it down so as not to make my friend pay for something else (and the sour selection at that place is kind of lacking).

Oh and I’m currently drunk off of vodka mixed with that Sparkling Ice flavored water, which has become my at home drink of choice, I’m sure to @jsnlv’s dismay. But no carbs!

7 Likes

Welcome to the most sacred brotherhood

10 Likes

Polygamy Porter is damn good, and it’s fun to pour a nitrogenated beer aggressively like a glass of milk!

2 Likes

So, as I mentioned earlier, I have gotten far too into the whole “dicking around with spirits” thing, and part of the fun of that is coming up with goofy recipes and then getting blotto on them. I had been wanting to do an exploration of a drink mentioned above, that being the:

Bachelor’s Wife

Now, this is a drink that admittedly was made out of whatever happened to be on hand at the time, which puts in the ranks of drinks like the Orangutang, which is a pint glass half full of Tang and half full of rum, which we came up with in college after discovering the Tang at the back of a kitchen cabinet. That said, this is actually a pretty balanced drink, it’s got the tart acid of the lime juice, the bitterness of the Campari, and the sweetness of the triple sec all mingling together.

NOTE: All the triple sec in these drinks is actually Cointreau (which is a kind of triple sec) because I have two bottles of it for some reason?

Tasting Notes

light, refreshing – low alcohol %
well-balanced, bitter plus sweet plus tart
dominated by combination of Campari and lime, with triple sec more as an underpinning
doesn’t linger, bright explosion of taste and then fast fade

As pleasant as the Bachelor’s Wife may be, it feels a little…hollow. It’s there, and then it’s not. There isn’t a taste that either unifies it, holding it together, or something constantly playing in the background, that delightfully lingers as you finish it. Thinking about the flavors involved and doing a bit of searching through lists of drinks, I decided that the best approach would be to use the Italian Gentleman as a basis of a variation, which led me to the:

Bachelor’s Gay Indiscretion

2 parts Campari
2 parts bourbon
1 part lime juice
1 part triple sec
shaken with ice

The bourbon should add a lot to the drink in terms of extra warmth and sweetness, to keep that from combining with the triple sec to overwhelm things, we’ll retain the higher amount of Campari from the Gentleman.

Tasting Notes

very pleasant coloring
interesting interplay between bourbon and Campari, bourbon coming through later
much more alcohol-forward while still being very smooth, refreshing
more of a slight sting, flavor coming up into the nose
lime and triple sec acting as a foundation, keeping the stronger flavors from being overpowering
there’s a snap to the initial sip
gets more delicious as you go
Campari strong on the evolution – because of the bourbon?

Okay, well, we’ve certainly shown that we can build on that delicious base, now, with Campari featuring so heavily in the drink, I feel like we should go off into negroni-related territory, and a natural for this is the Jasmine cocktail, which uses gin, Campari, and triple sec, we can just substitute lime juice for lemon and…well, just doing such a simple swap doesn’t feel like we’re doing anything new. Instead, let’s look west, to the land of the rising sun, and meet:

Bachelor’s Anime Girlfriend

2 parts gin
1 part lime juice
1 part tripe sec
1 part Campari
shake, add to rocks glass
float Japanese whiskey

(Please note that aesthetically-pleasing float, I am proud of it.)

Tasting Notes

lighter, brighter, more aromatic version of a negroni
whiskey float gives it an initial kick that fades into a more chilled-out experience
initial notes on sip strong on herbals in gin, blends into campari/lime tartness
triple sec notable in its absence, instead acting as mitigation for other flavors
this is good

Ah, all of these so far have been delicious and refreshing. What a treat it’s been to work with these ingredients. Sometimes though, you have to…push the envelope. Really take it to the next level. And do that, you’ll need to go on a trip with me, a trip south of the border, if you know what I mean. A trip that will lead to:

Bachelor’s Burning Sensation

2 parts mezcal
1 part Campari
1 part triple sec
1 part lime juice
1 barspoon hot sauce
shake well with ice
sprinkle with salt and pepper

NOTE: This cocktail really needs to be double-strained! I did not and the hot sauce was a bit gritty, which you know, it’s fine, a little extra texture never killed anybody. I just don’t want people to think I’m completely winging it here.

Tasting Notes

hot sauce plus mezcal plus campari coming through very strong
bitter plus smoke plus burning is very good, nice blend
still very refreshing
spicy initial kick that leads into a burning tickle at the top of the throat
warmth in your chest
tingly lips!
i am definitely not afraid of the police

Well, after that one I definitely felt like I needed to slow my roll. Continuing in that direction would lead to shenanigans like lighting drinks on fire, putting in dry ice, basically turning it into some kind of circus show. Look, I might be getting lit, things don’t need to get clown sad now. I ain’t about that. Instead, let’s take one of my all-time favorites, The Last Word, a Prohibition-era cocktail that works because it’s all kinds of things, pulling in different directions in a taut balancing act. It’s also all equal proportions, which makes it easy to mix and remember. So folks, let’s get ready for:

Bachelor’s Last Stand

1 part Campari
1 part lime juice
1 part green Chartruese
1 part triple sec

Tasting Notes

whooaaaaaaa
this is weird
not bad
just weird
campari plus chartruese is !?!
they’re fighting!
herbal bitterness with a sweet tangy evolution
most similar to Bachelor’s Wife so far, just far more herbal, anise coming more forward as the drink warms up
this is real good

Anyway! That was fun, if anybody makes one or more of these, let us know. Catch you later, rummy.

19 Likes

This is the most beautiful post and I cannot wait to make one of these beautiful cocktails.

6 Likes

this is one of the best posts on the site and i need to try these

6 Likes

My mother declares Bachelor’s An*me Girlfriend “good…so good. No, I don’t want anymore. I shouldn’t drink this much,” but she wouldn’t relinquish the glass. Clearly a big hit.

Then I told her the name and she said “That’s sick. You’re all sick.” But she was laughing, blissfully unaware of the weight of the horrible slur I’d just uttered.

This has inspired me to finally dig out my ice trays. They’ve been collecting dust for too long!

I should invest in an icepick.

14 Likes

SelectButton

11 Likes

In these most trying times of state-sponsored alcoholism I either reach for whatever cheap Budget Bourbon is available or when thirsting for something truly indulgent I go for the classic White Russian (cheap vodka, Actual Kahlua and a cream substitute) served tall with only the thickest and fattiest of milks

In better days I am a Maker’s Mark(ed) Man or Woodford Reserve; never diluted

3 Likes

I just remembered that my dad got me a bottle of Chartreuse for Christmas.

2 Likes

After seeing a million social media ads for it I finally tried We Sake and it’s like, it’s fine. I’m no great connoisseur but I feel like I’ve had better. Like even basic ass Ozeki One Cup.

1 Like

So, another crossover cocktail post with The Beautiful Game, in this case, a celebration of Yugioh, with all the ridiculousness implied.

Lemon Magician Girl

We’ll start with something simple and sweet, a classic combination of:

2 parts bourbon
1 part lemon juice
1 part Amaretto
.5 part simple syrup

Tasting Notes:

very bright, refreshing
sweet, without being overly cloying
the bourbon lends a real depth to the evolution
well-balanced, complex
this is a keeper

Topdeck Burn

Some people just want to watch the world burn.

1.5 oz Fireball whiskey
1 barspoon hot sauce (Valentina Extra in this case)

Tasting Notes:

Oh GOD
SHIT
FUCK
true to the name, it burns
sweet jesus

Trap Card

You’ve activated my…oh never mind.

1.5 parts gin
1 part lime juice
.75 parts triple sec
.5 parts fernet
egg white
shake dry first for 30 seconds to generate foam
then shake wet, serve over ice in rocks glass

Tasting Notes:

this is surprisingly smooth
the lime is very important here, and what you taste most initially
the triple sec, similar to the Bachelor drinks, acts as a foundation
as the drink evolves, the herbal nature of the gin comes to the front
and then, boom, fernet
i was worried that the fernet would be too much; it doesn’t dominate the drink though
it only really comes out on the evolution
and then liiiiiiiiiiiiingers
i think this needs more workshopping; i would drink this version again though

Dog Sufferer

I gather that this is a bootleg card, and why not go for a drink that would be served at a place where you could pay a dollar for a shot of Scope.

2 parts gin
1 part lemon juice
1 part pickle brine

Tasting Notes:

hooooooooo
WHOAAA
this is a lot
like, this will punch you in the face
i’m not completely mad at this though
the gin and the lemon are bravely fighting the pickle brine
and losing
maybe less pickle juice
this will wake you the fuck up though

Miffy’s Heart of the Cards

Let’s round this out with the best representation we can have for how @miffy put in a ton of work preparing and commentating for the Yugioh tournament. Truly, the gaming goddess blessed us all and I hope I can do some justice to that with this drink.

2 parts mezcal
1 part maraschino liqueur
1 part lemon juice
.5 parts simple syrup
2 dashes angostura bitters

Tasting Notes:

firstly, this is a great color, the dashes of bitters give just the most delicate pink
oh goodness this is delicious
the interplay between the smoky mezcal, the brightness of the lemon, and the two sweet flavors is complex and rewarding
seriously this is so good
the mezcal and maraschino in particular is a great combination, they’re both such strong flavors and they’re going back and forth in a dance here
just absolutely delicious

(I have made three Miffy’s Heart of the Cards even after making the first one, this is seriously part of my regular rotation now.)

16 Likes

i’m honored!!! this is amazing, i can’t wait to try these, thank you so much <3

1 Like

Those are beautiful. I can’t wait to try them.

I bought some booze last week. This thread has inspired me to flesh out my bar.

Recently I made a Bachelor’s Gay Indiscretion and then I made another and then I made the Anime Girlfriend to compare the two and I guess I got too drunk and lazy to make more cocktails and, also, to take tasting notes. BUT it was good. I prefer the Anime Girlfriend though.

Guess that’s just how I swing…ladies. mahjong

5 Likes

This house is a beer house. But we had fun making too-strong Old Fashioneds for dude’s birthday, so I wanted to try other things.

This here is an approximation of a Paloma. I scanned the Bon Apetit ratios, kind of forgot them, then came up with this:

2 oz mezcal
1.5 oz grapefruit juice
Big splash of Topo Chico
Pinch of maldon

It’s a much nicer pink in person and it tastes fine, but feels unbalanced. I don’t know much about making cocktails, but wouldn’t mind something sweet. Maybe some of that maraschino liqueur from Miffy’s Heart of the Cards!

I wanna get some gin to make the Dog Sufferer. I need to round out my bar now that I’m responsible enough to not drink a whole bottle in a coupla days.

8 Likes

Maraschino or triple sec or just simple syrup would work to sweeten it up; or you could do what most Mexicans do and just make it with grapefruit soda, Jarritos is the classic, I’ve done it with Squirt and it works.

1 Like

Just happened to have triple sec. Second round was much better.

2 Likes

This thread inspired me to dig out my old Food & Wine cocktail books. I decided to tackle this recipe:
The Green Lantern

• 1/2 kiwi
  • 1/4 simple syrup
  • 1 1/2 ounces gin (I used Roku Gin)
  • 1 ounce Viognier (I used a cheap French because Virginian viogniers are expensive)
  • 1/2 ounce lime juice

It really brings out the floral botanicals in the gin. I like it a lot.

7 Likes

Because a buddy gave me a bottle of cinnamon whiskey for Christmas and it’s been sitting around here forever and I’ve been a little sick, I’ve started drinking hot toddies.

Recipe:
Cinnamon Whiskey (1 to 1 1/2 oz)
Lemon Juice (2 tsp)
Honey (~2 tsp, it’s hard to measure honey)
Boiling hot water (3/4 cup)

Directions: Stick everything but the hot water in a mug and stir it up to dissolve the honey a bit, then add the hot water and stir some more. Add lemon juice or honey to taste. If you don’t have cinnamon whiskey, use regular whiskey with a cinnamon stick for garnish. You might also want to garnish it with a slice of lemon.

It’s nice when you’re feeling under the weather. Refreshing and surprisingly not that sweet. Obviously don’t drink it if alcohol will interfere with any medicine you’re taking- if so, you might want to make one without the whiskey, like hot lemonade with a cinnamon stick.

4 Likes