Minecraft

I’ve been putting up a building this week. It’s part residential/part playground, with the more organically developed and less symmetrical parts resembling some modernist styles. The main facade is just a sort of crow-stepped gabled European type. I’ve tried to keep most of the building vaguely structurally justifiable, at least if you can pretend that the cantilevered parts depend upon industrial methods and hidden supportive units.

^ These are some angles of some parts of the exterior

and some angles of some parts of the interiors. The building has four levels right now, with a basement story being the lowest one. Right now the highest level (the last screenshot) can only be gotten by an exterior staircase that leads to a low-ceiling second story and another staircase within that. When you enter from the front door there is a large primary chamber with a depression near the center that leads to a wood-and-stone basement complex. The next portion that I’ll be building will connect to a hall (see the second photo of the four above).

Idk if this map is shareable, since I don’t own the game and am using another person’s account, but I would like to see other people’s projects, recent or old

I will take more photos as the buildings develops

8 Likes

The left wing is complete and leads to the main bedroom. The biggest window is situated to show the sunrise (meanwhile, the level shown in the last shot above is situated to show the moonrise through the glass blocks; you can walk along a parapeted rooftop too). This portion’s exterior reminds me very much of John Soane’s Dulwich picture gallery. I don’t know why that of all things.

This is the library. You get to it from the central block, and it terminates in a side room and the main bedroom (entrance seen in the last photo). I guess it could have a bit more character but I like the high ceiling and large window to the side contrasted against the depressed seating area. It’s been interesting to build this and see what constructive and organizational impulses come out.

2 Likes

Whoa what’d you post that for

I remembered it and wanted more examples of stuff people here have built

It’s almost done. I’m just fleshing out the basement complex and will add a block to the right that’s linked by the colonnaded stretch – maybe a sort of bath house.

1 Like

i have seen the structure in person, including all eight reading rooms/libraries, and can confirm that it is the dark souls of minecraft homes

looking forward to deathmatch implementation

1 Like

I added the bath house. It’s the large block on the right. I wanted to give it a dim, warm, insulated atmosphere, something vaguely Egyptian and Greco-Roman, so I strictly limited the fenestration and introduced a palette that’s unique to the interior. Some bats came in while I was still putting up the walls and roof and now they’re permanent residents. Maybe. I left the door open in case they would like to leave.

2 Likes

Here’s a portion I forgot. It’s another reading room, I guess. The floor ends in three nooks with cushioned seating and is separated in the middle by a lower seating or even sleeping area. There’s also the option to go up a wooden staircase and around a cantilevered route along the wall with seating spots near the windows.

It hasn’t been directly on my mind but I think some decisions throughout the building process have been influenced by Sou Fujimoto’s buildings.

2 Likes

I play with mods, this was from two-three years ago…

1 Like

https://twitter.com/notch/status/880517922870906880

Wow, kind of sucks that the creator of the second bestselling game of all time is a complete fucking dipshit

I gave this dude my money once, about 6 years ago

2 Likes

I knew he wasn’t the best but saying people “deserve to be shot” what the fuck

Great now I’m going to be thinking about how shitty this asshole next time I play my go-to chill out game

Twitter is the worst

2 Likes

He’s been doing stupid provocative shit since forever but I don’t recall him ever near-implicitly advocating for shooting gay people lol

I mean, I don’t think he has any involvement with MC anymore outside of being its creator, so I don’t really feel all that ambivalent about playing it (especially since I’m doing this through someone else’s account)

I think it has been fairly obvious that he’s been a huge shitlord for some years now. It just depends on whether or not you think being a huge shitlord is cool

1 Like

Yeah, I still enjoy and play the game from time to time. I just get a little bit bitter that he’s a billionaire lol

If I hadn’t bought a copy years ago, I’d sure pause before buying one now, tbh.

Though if it was an issue of letting, like, my kid be able to play, I’d have a hard time denying them access to the world’s favorite virtual Lego playground, just because the project’s creator (and royalty-receiver) revealed himself to be an insufferable, gross shitheel.

Disassociate products from their creators imo

Maybe after purchase but if someone is a huge shitlord I’m not going to give them money, especially for something completely non-essential as a video game

I have become extremely wary of the “vote with your wallet” argument. Even shitlords deserve to eat. Rare is the creator who is neither so poor that a little cash is charity nor so rich that your 15 bucks in or out is utterly meaningless to their stated positions.

If I have 500 video games to choose from and can afford 2 am I supposed to seek out the shitlords or something?