MilkDrop

Did you know that there’s a new incarnation of MilkDrop (version 3) that runs independent of Winamp or any other music player but automatically works with (I think) any source of music on your computer?

It comes with more than 500 presets, takes full advantage of modern computers, and has the ability to use two presets at once. It’s pretty unbelievable if you hit Alt + Enter and then Alt + Shift to spread it across two monitors.

https://forums.winamp.com/forum/visualizations/milkdrop/milkdrop-presets/4614686-milkdrop-3-0-500-presets-lots-of-new-functionality

21 Likes

I did not know!

I’ve always been kind of flabbergasted that music visualizers as a consumer thing kind of died out. It’s still a big focus of concerts, and there’s more realtime hardware available than ever.

4 Likes

There’s a fork of it on Steam now too

6 Likes

Woo

Untitled-1 copy

I probably won’t use it because too many of them are flashy and it would take me forever to weed through all of them. And I don’t seem to need a visualizer anymore–got a lot outta ol’ Milkdrop back in the day though. Some of these new patterns are really neat ^_ ^

2 Likes

I just want an arm port so it’ll run on my raspberry pi under kodi

3 Likes

There’s a terribly named web version called ButterChurn https://butterchurnviz.com/

It can work with any audio source (on windows at least) because it can take “mic” input and there’s a box you can check somewhere that enables a loopback of the system audio output as a system level input source

4 Likes

The newest full length Beach House album, “Once Twice Melody,” was released 4 songs at a time with “lyric videos” from collaborators live-streamed on their YouTube channel. Along with the words of each song, some have pretty figurative animation and some are psychedelic milkdrop extravaganzas. Some lyrics on this album are probably the worst of anything they’ve ever done, so it’s a weird choice when you got sorta simpleton-lyrics in humongous WordArt twirling in front of you dying for too much attention, but the music is an extremely dense and maximalist pandemic project and they hired a handful of true masters for the videos (Zach Lieberman, etc) so it was a true joy to get stoned at night and watch the new songs debut every couple months.

5 Likes

bless u wourme

2 Likes

New version released today with additional features and 800 presets (up from 500).

3 Likes