methods of input (Part 1)

Can anyone identify this object?

didn’t sega make a lot of their development tools inhouse back then? it’s possibly something that exists only in that building at that time

That actual specific one? I dunno but it just looks like one of the input/mice attached to old CAD tablets.

IMG_0868

1 Like

Oh totally, thanks! I was wondering if that circular shape was somehow for tracing.

http://marcoiannicelli.com/portfolio-posts/a-maze/

4 Likes

Sony HB-101 MSX-1 PC - 1984

I think it would be cool to use one of these as a keyboard somehow.

Oh my.

Look at this, the person who did the Famicube concept mashed it up with the later HB-FX1D into a what-if MSX3 design. I think this person also took that top photo and that video. A true committed degenerate.

and then this other person modeled the drawing in 3d

Cool.

I stumbled upon these during some quick backstory sniffing after seeing one of these sweet plastic fantastic Sony joysticks, and its v.sweet packaging, on YJA.

bonerus:

12 Likes

Gonna be real: joystick on the right is a fucking cursed setup.

1 Like

I know you’re not talking about this specifically, but I grew up with arrow keys + ZXC/shiftctrl/spacebar and WASDing 2D indie games make me very angry.

6 Likes

Oh goodness, this is so irritating and uncomfortable for me. I’ve quit moderately interesting indie games over this.
(I have similar but less passionate feelings about the jump only being mapped to the arrow key/W in indie platformers.)

1 Like

105,000円

Also check this guy’s crazy, seemingly direct-to-lcd wired, MVS cab control panel supergun setup; the importing of which last night made perfect economic sense to me.

7 Likes

I know there’s another thread for this, but that tiny prison monitor is so cute!

Oh hey I was also browsing yahoo auctions last night.

Okay yeah, fair enough, but try and see where I’m coming from:

2 Likes

http://www.8bitdo.com/mod-kit-for-snes-controller/

Cool. 8bitdo now selling wireless PCB replacement kits for og NES, SNES and 6 button Genesis pads.

Prob everyone should spam their Twitter for Saturn + NeoCD.

3 Likes

I’ve never even used a neo CD pad and that picture is making feel some type of way

I would buy these right this instant if they accepted any form of payment that wasn’t paypal

I could buy it for you if you want. Feel free to PM me.

Also, shipping is $18 bucks… yeesh.

5 Likes

I went to a game store looking for a microswitched PDP fight pad and by golly they had one. Also they had a bunch of unexpected import stuff I didn’t remember them having the last time I visited years ago. They had a Laseractive with the MD unit on display in the back. A complete copy of Racing Lagoon. I also bought an $8 boxed Super Black Bass for SFC.

After some initial feel out testing, came to the same conclusion that keeps me from daily driving the Neo-Geo Pad 2: stick a little too loosy goosy. So I took it apart to see what was going on, didn’t take any pictures inside, but these things are cool. All four directions and the six face buttons are mouse button switches. Like these

The stick assembly itself is its own little unit on a separate sub pcb. These pads have a reputation for unreliability, but it seems like you could fix the switches fairly easily once they go bad, experiment with swapping them out, etc. The shoulders are less interesting and use those standard project ‘tactile switches’…

I messed around with different bodge ideas to change the stick actuation, taped up the little actuator rod prongs to make them thicker, etc. but eventually settled on shimming the rod up with bent aluminum scraps from a soda can - helped decrease the deadzone. Feels better during relaxed playing but I think this particular half ass solution made fighting game moves more difficult than stock.

Also ended up breaking it while fooling around and had to re-solder the wires connecting the stick, a task at the absolute limits of my nonexistent soldering capabilities. Also scraped off the button labels, first with a knife and then repolished with a buffer but then I realized barkeepers friend and a napkin worked way better but not before fucking up the L1. Removed the Xbox logo dome sticker.

I’ll have to get some more of these for experimenting, I like it.

5 Likes