methods of input (Part 1)

So close.

Might not exist in gamepad form factor if you exclude the Joycons and anything with either a d-pad or 2nd analog stick? Maybe something in the cellphone mini bluetooth miasma.

Bonus goofballs:

2 Likes

As a rehabilitated former Imgur user I think it’s a damn crime that post only has a few upvotes

Those tertiary triggers are something I wish other gamepads had

1 Like

The company that made this, micomsoft, is still in business. These days they are mostly known for the XRGB Framemeister and other retro console video scaler/switcher/capture devices.

1 Like
3 Likes

pretty much every dude i know that plays serious smash also regularly perform midi fighter synthesizer chiptunes sets, so this is like the direct center of that venn diagram

1 Like

you know I tried to use a hitbox for umvc3 and I just couldn’t get used to it! the smash controls are so ingrained for me that I would probably have even a harder time adapting to a hitbox for melee but who knows

edit: oh man I just got to the part where he’s explaining the substitute for tilts and yup there’s no way I’d be able to handle this

i have a couple of these, they are shit. made of awful plastic, incredibly tiny and also they don’t work

1 Like

Yeah, my experience with those particular controllers is that they stop working after roughly two weeks, whether you use them or not.

I’ve been playing various Ridge Racer games with various controllers.

The Jogcon wheel is nowhere near as precise as the NeGcon, so it’s target audience was bound to hate it.
Unfortunately, the default settings for both controllers only make this worse.
Both have a deadzone of 3mm, but the Negcon has a default 45 degree movement and the the Jogcon has a default of 30 degree movement. The Jogcon is more notably improved by turning off the deadzone.
It still isn’t anywhere near as precise as a NeGcon, but the force feedback is super fun.
R4 with the Jogcon feels like an arcade game.

While the NeGcon seems to have been designed as a controller that will only be used for racing games, the Jogcon seems to have been designed as an alternative controller you can just leave plugged in (when you don’t need analog sticks).
The Dpad and face buttons are great. I tried some shmups with it, and I was very impressed.

4 Likes

The NeGcon always stuck in my head over the years before I could try it as that one controller that let you somehow twist your ship’s low-poly model in Xevious 3D/G, but it apparently works well with the PS1 Wipeouts. I tried it for a few minutes and noticed I could turn a bit easier, but I gave up on it too quickly to notice whether it was definitely better than just using the stock PS1 pad (no doubt that it is, I just got distracted and never tried it again).

1 Like

Saw on Reddit something about a quiet redesign for Nintendo’s pro controller:

I didn’t realize the Switch pro had any issues to begin with, but I guess I’m glad I’ve waited to grab one.

1 Like

Does it feel good to use?

Sfugh3fGvTDYdtEKxAw0sOuMaEs=

I just bought a PSX ASCII Grip off of eBay because it was $10. I was looking for one of the HORI RPG controllers, but they were all too expensive.

I really wanted this, but it was like, $50. Forget that!

Has anybody tried the the new HORI Mini PS4 controller yet? I’m debating buying one.

1 Like

My ASCII Grip came but I forgot where my Magic Joybox whatever PSX/Saturn/DC > USB adapter was so I just bought a PSX adapter.

ascii-grip-v2364a116d

I’m disappointed that the ASCII Grip V2 and the Gundam Online Zaku controllers are rare, expensive, and in poor quality on eBay. Apparently, these guys make a knock-off, but there’s no price listed, and they’re not in the U.S., so it’s probably not really worth what it’d cost, anyway.

4 Likes

The X and O (bottom buttons) on my Grip I bought a few weeks ago gave up the ghost this morning while I was playing Innocent Sin. The other buttons work fine, just not the two most important buttons! I tested in various mappers, still nothing recognizes inputs from X and O. So, I guess, just a caveat if you plan on buying one of these – I’m guessing this has been sitting around for 20 years and is a bit finicky.

I might buy another one in a few weeks, and if I have the same problem immediately, then it’s the adapter.

I just picked up one of these dongles to use my Wii U junk on my Switch: https://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-Nintendo-Magic-NS-Wireless-Controller-Windows/dp/B07413R4HS

It works perfectly well and it can apparently also connect anything else to everything else. Looking forward to plugging it into a Steam Link to use whatever.

The only drawback I’ve noticed so far is the narrow mode button used to switch from xinput, dinput, etc. It’s like a router reset button.

2 Likes

I got one of these too and it’s great. It even came with a USB A to C adapter.

Apparently they made a paddle controller for the X68k port of Cameltry. I assume it’s by micomsoft. It looks homemade–You just clamp a mouse to it and it spins the ball. The only picture I could find was in this youtube video which has some other hot/interesting pasokon controllers.

3 Likes

sweet stuff in that slideshow

I didn’t know this until last night but the top of that x68000 mouse unscrews and then you can pop a switch on the bottom and it becomes a trackball and you can also spin around the buttons so they’re on the left instead of top and also there are mirrored pinch buttons on the sides gee golly willikers

6 Likes