methods of input (Part 1)

At this time, does this new controller “just work” with PC games the same way the 360 and bone pads do?

Edit: Looked it up, seems like they do.

Can you link the specific controller? I’ve needed a new one for a while as my 360 controllers are slowly dying.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/microsoft-controller-for-xbox-series-x-xbox-series-s-and-xbox-one-latest-model-shock-blue/6430660.p?skuId=6430660

4 Likes

Yep! Also tried and they work on Xbox Ones and I read vice-versa

1 Like

note that for XInput Reasons (hooray!) xbone pads and later will not work on some PC games where 360 pads still do. generally wired is more likely to work than wireless, and if all else fails there’s x360ce or steam input (with the above mentioned caveats).

1 Like

As far as I can tell the new controllers have the same compatibility as the XB1 controllers except for iOS, which needs updating.

FWIW I have never encountered a game where it took Xinput but only 360 controllers. Maybe old GFWL releases?

anything packing an older library. recent titles i can think of include Tetris Effect and Wild Guns Reloaded.

Now I’m downloading Tetris Effect Connected to see if it doesn’t support XB1 pads lol

I definitely played the Epic store version without any sort of compatibility layer right when it came out last year

Yeah, I just tried out both the XB1 and new Xbox pads with the Epic store version of Tetris Effect and they worked immediately with Steam etc. closed.

1 Like

you’re probably on windows 10 ! everybody except microsoft makes & supports software for windows less than 10 ! oh well.

OK, but that’s a different and more specific caveat!

1 Like

if you want to run software released no older than yesterday on the latest windows with the latest windows updates, authored in the latest version of a given game engine with the latest windows gamepad library, xbone and xbone series pads will be fine.

steam’s software and 8bitdo’s hardware spoof the wired 360 pad because, as a general solution for games released on windows after 2006, that thing Just Works

I get the point you’re making but really it boils down to: if you’re running Win10 the new pads are probably fine. Your original caveat didn’t mention the OS at all and was sincerely confusing to me.

Like, I wanted to test it to make sure I wasn’t misremembering.

2 Likes

YES

but will they let you use a microphone plugged into a DS4 etc. for seaman eventually. i’m asking the real questions out here. they can’t silence me

1 Like

shitty future

5 Likes

here is my new keyboard. it is white. behind it is my old keyboard, which is not white.

white.

7 Likes

I bought this board, outside of the keycaps, from some person on reddit. they gave me several little extras for free that they didn’t even mention, left me a cute little note in the box, and then fuckin on top of that I go into the mapping software and they have a macro that just writes FUCK DONALD TRUMP. best money I ever spent

23 Likes

I’m always interested in how compact layouts different from one another. What are the “Code”, “0”, and “00” keys for? Also, are the “Up” or “F*” keys hidden somewhere? How do you like the “Fn” key all the way over there.

Minorly related - what’s the best way to replace a Capslock key? I mean in software, what key to replace it with, and reasonable PBT caps?

Like I’m happy for you and I know your enjoy these kinds of keyboards. If I had to use this for a day it would feel like my soul got stuck into another body completely foreign to me and I’m missing a limb or two to boot.