magic the blathering

I play magic a lot still. Mostly pioneer. I became a judge. I am TO of the weekly pioneer night.

3 Likes

@daphaknee you should play pauper

2 Likes
1 Like
1 Like

It feels like Pauper has constantly been getting derailed by cards from supplemental sets and is seeing similar “soft rotations” as Modern has with the Horizons sets, I kinda lost interest because of it

At least the financial toll is somewhat limited

2 Likes
1 Like

I played this game for the first time in a while Friday night. A friend had four pre-built decks with a Warhammer 40K theme and we played a four-player game. I guess they are now mixing in licensed properties. Did Disney buy them or something?

It was “Commander,” my least favorite way to play, but it was still fun.

After that, my friend showed me this.

5 Likes

They are doing something called “Universes Beyond” where they make all sorts of cards of licenced properties. I think they figured out that funco pops are popular. They’re doing Dr. Who and Jurassic Park cards soon and they just did lord of the rings.

Dandân aka forgetful fish is a pretty good boardgamification of magic.

1 Like

the extremely cynical view on universes beyond is that the shoe collector who used to work for the company that owns the walking dead IP found a way to give them a bunch of money to make mechanically unique cards based on licensed property (including the walking dead) they had no reprint strategy for so they are necessarily going to be worth something long term

they do have a reprint strategy now kind of? but it’s not applied consistently and the lotr cards fucking eternal formats over is probably going to be the true test for that strategy

1 Like

Wilds of Eldraine seems mid.

1 Like

yeah I think it’s about that time when I take an indefinite break from MTG again

2 Likes

ducked out for New Capenna, waiting to see something unfun again. take me back to War of the Spark → Eldraine → Theros → that kaiju set again Wizards, I beg you

2 Likes

FIRE era

1 Like

Sheldon Menery died.

1 Like

Back on angels for pioneer night. Went 2-1

3 Likes

3-0 in pioneer on Angel Tribal!

4 Likes

I am playing Magic the Gathering Arena on my computer

5 Likes

It’s a good way to learn. Makes sure you don’t miss any triggers. What formats are you focusing on? It is possible to play for free especially if you can maintain a winning record in draft. Here’s my info for the app:

2 Likes

My account is old and I have little memory of playing this before. I like skeletons and want to be powerful with skeletons and other ghoulies without ever spending any money. I have big dreams. I have been playing alchemy and standard. I don’t really know what I’m doing.

3 Likes

You can’t say that, you’ll get cancelled

2 Likes