Lowering Topic Post Limit to 2k from 5k

Each of us should only be able to make 2000 posts and we should have little Spawn power meters in our signatures.

2 Likes

If we’ve gonna have the parenthetical to even explain the thread do we need an offputting and baffling title for the megathread to begin with. Threads can just be the name of what they are. It makes the forum more abrassive and confusing.

1 Like

Aw but it’s fun : (

1 Like

we’re not going to further police how people name their threads, especially in the axe. compromise has been made, all threads are now more searchable than they have been in years

https://selectbutton.net/t/i-ll-be-your-vortex-rikers-armour-room-floor-vanity-photos/12357/33

1 Like

we’ve always had inscrutable thread titles. i appreciate that people are now adding the parentheticals for those of us who don’t always get the reference (after like 1-2 visits in a thread i’ve made the association anyway), and i like trying to parse out the meaning and learn about a new thing like how simulated floors can actually be very reflective in the year 1997.

7 Likes

i find the esoteric thread titles charming, personally. every forum has a “meme offtopic” thread, but only selectbutton has “cherished brainworms”

3 Likes

That one is fine. Vanity photos and screenshots 's names are embarassing.

1 Like

How are they embarrassing? Like what about them specifically, obtuse I’d understand but what about these are embarrassing:

I guess I don’t see how any thread title that is not a personal reference in some way could be embarrassing?

2 Likes

I mean the screenshots thread name is legit awful, just dropping the word “screenshots” in the middle of a bunch of random words isn’t like helpful in the least. I didn’t even notice it the first few times and went “I guess print screen means it is for screenshots”.

That said though, and this is clearly personal opinion… those two in specific come off as so try hard that they just seem so very lame. When the titles where something like “games you played 2: electric boogaloo” or whatever it’s still clear enough yet has a bit of personality. Now that we’ve gone through several generations of these that each have to be more out there than the last a number of them have gotten to the point where a number of them are kinda cringy.

If people love them than fine, it isn’t a big enough of a turnoff for me to go “I’ll never click on them” or whatever but yeah, I side with Rude on this one.

2 Likes

so the issue here is just “i personally think this is so lame that i need to tell everyone about it”?

cool cool

5 Likes

The more passionately that we attempt to reach 2k posts the faster we can get new thread titles.

12 Likes

Man I genuinely don’t care for this response at all and have been struggling trying to write out why in a way that wouldn’t read like an escalation and I can’t, but if your intention was to dismissively blow me off you did so very well.

If you came up with the titles and hence read what I wrote as an attack then I apologize. I’m gonna take the rest of the day or two off from here now.

1 Like

i don’t know who came up with the screenshots but the vanity photo thread was me. i understand the Frankish connotations may grate but i refuse to drop the U

i don’t want to condescend but are you aware that both threads also reference popular songs from past decades as well as obscure videogame elements? that might make them feel a little less like word soup

2 Likes

These are the only parts I recognize from both and I love them for it!

1 Like

When I look back at my first experiences lurking on this site, I remember being a little confused by several thread titles and I would look into each thread to see what they were about. Sometimes the purpose of the thread would reveal itself immediately; sometimes, people were so off-topic that I couldn’t tell. The thing is, I found all of that endearing and an invitation to me that I should post because nothing I could say would be thought of as stupid or pointless.

I think it’s important that we let people express themselves with creative titles just as we let them express themselves in their posts. I agree that having so many threads start over and get retitled was disorienting at first, but I wouldn’t trade that for seeing an index of “Video Game Screenshots” “Video Game News” “Movie Screenshots,” etc. I think having clearer subtitles is a good compromise.

9 Likes

Yeah, that was rude of me and I’m sorry for being an asshole when you were just stating your perspective. I did appreciate your candor. I just really don’t understand how a matter of personal aesthetic taste re: what a thread is called needs to become a public to-do, or be ruled upon in any way, and I directed my frustration about that toward you.

1 Like

I guess if people don’t like a thread title, I would move that the procedure should be to follow the age old tradition of coming up with a new one and petitioning for it to be changed.

Referential titles are at this point a grand tradition, per daphny’s earlier post just put a searchable/identifiable word or two at the end if it’s not already in there.

If a thread title is against the general community guidelines that would be a thing to flag specifically.

Thoughts?

i’m okay with just posting in the thread and heckling for it to be changed

personally i liked getting to race to be the new OP, “first” is an age old internet tradition but since the system just automatically moves threads and gives mods the titling power this means we should just complain more or just make our own threads for specific stuff

3 Likes

the actual select button learning curve isn’t bad, it’s just more cringe than inconvenient

like if you’re the OP of a post then the onus is on you to make the cringe title but if the OP is System and a mod stealthily changes it then, well, who should we ask to change it

I also think it’s funny a thread would get locked and two or more people would race to make a new joke title for the megathread sequel and then you get to see the bad jokes that get deleted or merged into the chronological first thread

3 Likes

the megathread auto-close behavior has been going on for a while for a few threads, and right, it had settled into a several-post workshop for a new title and the most popular or personally tickling or whatever one got set. i like that! i don’t see why we can’t just keep doing that. if it doesn’t happen right at the start of the thread, start it when you have an idea for one.

personally if people heckle me for new thread titles without providing one, i’m going to make it as cringey and/or as boring as possible, because i guess i’m contrary

3 Likes