Lively Souls (Part 2)

i like that part where you cross from huntsman’s copse to harvest valley and go through this vast canyon that feels like you’re in between tectonic plates

hmm, and i think i like how in dark souls 1, although you can see the elevator to undead parish goes very high, the top of it is still out of view. the connection isn’t fully made; you’re still left to string it together a bit in your mind

9 Likes

clickbait thumbnail, but very fascinating mechanic, well-explained

7 Likes

damn i really wish they’d gone for some wild shit like that in elden ring, feels like the missed opportunity of the decade!!

9 Likes

Remembering this gem that isn’t quite 10 years old so it’s going here!

5 Likes

Is it worth playing Demons Souls remake if I think it’s uglier than the original?

It’s a good occasion to experience Demon’s Souls again. And even if it is ugly (arguable), it’s a real treat to come face to face with something so blisteringly next gen as that remake.

A different perspective: it’s always worth replaying Demon’s Souls, but the remaster is a straight downgrade. If you have access to the original, play it instead.

5 Likes

I’ll be a demon’s advocate and say the sound design of Demon’s Souls remake is worth playing it for and it can be treated (and enjoyed) as a light remix of the original but, if possible, the PS3 game is essential to play and is better in most ways.

1 Like

From what I’ve seen, the remake absolutely ruins the Tower of Latria’s atmosphere, which alone would probably make it a pass for me unless it’s cheap

4 Likes

I’d say a big part of the general atmosphere being ruined in remake is the voices/facial animation/music being clearly awful. I think the moment-to-moment gameplay generally holds up and is still a compelling thing to interact with. It’s just missing essential jank like the ragdolls and Havok havoc.

The remake honestly made me feel sad. It’s like a bad fan remake that entirely missed the point of the original. It’s a dubstep remix of Eyes Without a Face. Pretend it doesn’t exist and forget about it. I wish I had.

8 Likes

10 Likes

I would much prefer emulating the PS3 Demons Souls

2 Likes

Ok, seriously tho… there have to be good things about this remake. Did someone post something somewhere? Did they make the tendency thing easier or just more transparent?

I feel like this remake is making a good argument that that Demons Souls is actually the best one…

Tendency is a bit less visually obscure in remake but still won’t tell you what the exact actions that cause changes are (the wikis are well worn by this point).

I genuinely think the sound design of remake is excellent

2 Likes

The menu navigation stuff is also basically superior, unless anyone wants to wager some SB-brained argument about the significance of the friction that is created when you have to do 5 button presses to use one consumable soul item.

2 Likes

I will be obtuse and argue that while fast travel and load times are better in remake, the original better conveys the idea that the nexus is actually a nexus

2 Likes

the load times being so brief also remove what I always appreciated as a cool down period after I got frustratingly stomped

2 Likes

i enjoyed skipping around this video if anyone is curious about seeing a side by side video with like relatively chill commentary… also some fun like out of bounds / debug menu / cut content stuff in here re: the original

5 Likes

eh, i dunno about this. the harder the game, the more i appreciate an instant retry

3 Likes