Like a News Thread 8: Infinite Welp

it’s called sephiroth posting

19 Likes

yeah. hearing some gossip and speculation on the matter, i’m gonna wait for other RHDN staffers and people in-the-know to have their say before forming a take whatever just happened

3 Likes

I love when a site is like “we achieved what we set out to do, become a critical and irreplaceable internet resource, so it’s time we close down”

27 Likes

https://x.com/GideonZhi/status/1819215914988196204

thread up

6 Likes

Screen cap it and post it for people who don’t use Twitter? They made it so you can’t read threads if you’re not logged in.

1 Like

oh yeah sure

1 Like

okay maybe someone else has to it logged me out on my phone and the page just keeps refreshing when I try to log in??

wiat nevermind it was cuz I accidentally tried to use chrome

19 Likes

how many other hobbyist resources are still controlled by single territorial cranks in 2024?

8 Likes

no disrespect to paradise killer which seems interesting & I respect the pursuit of nonstandard locomotion-led VN hybrids but the orientalized japan setting in this trailer is embarrassing enough to put me off entirely.
Maybe this is too much to expect from white brits going by “Kaizen Game Works” but why not just set it in UK & t tell themselves its like a kurosawa adaptation? Guy Ritchie + Mascot Business is not going to be any less plausible a setting than whatevers going on here.

10 Likes

Watched half this trailer to find out it’s another goddamned card game.

Also the text in it reads really odd, like it was a first draft they forgot to clean up for the trailer.
“I have an unusual appearance that may make you recoil when unveiled, but never mind that.”
“Now, we’ve got places to be. Let’s look at the paperwork.”
It feels like barely touched MTL. I would have expected text in a game without voiced characters to have much better flow than this.

2 Likes

we can not make archive dot org a load bearing drywall website of the internet

19 Likes

Since it sounds like there are existing staff who do want to set things up the right way and the data has now all been made available, there’ll probably be a new site up in the not too too distant future.

Name ideas?

romhecking
cromhacking

Okay those are terrible. ^ _^

4 Likes

I have been having this thought lately but didn’t know how to properly word it about all these games set in Urban Japan by non-Japanese. Making me want to yell stop it!

8 Likes

rpgmaker.net is still down as well… truly we live in the “twilight of the gods” (mighty thor #380)

i don’t actually know how itch is set up but assume that when leafo passes control of the site will be inherited by leafo jr, a 27yo MBA in wraparound shades who runs his own failing juice business that he’s still hoping to sell to a16z somehow and is deeply passionate about the potential of the metaverse

24 Likes
9 Likes

it is sometimes distressing to think how so much of the indie creator scene cohesion, to the extent that it can be called on, relies on this one dude in charge of itch not turning out to be a total shithead like everyone else has

6 Likes

I mean all of us kind of know deep down that everything we took deeply seriously on the internet as teenagers was largely run by people who would say “drop a bomb like I am a target to deploy” when what they meant was “I don’t understand how modern object storage works”

15 Likes

This has been gnawing at me for some time now too.

As someone who just this morning was brainstorming about an SMT-like game (I will never make) set in 1910s Salt Lake City, I think people should be taking these influences and turning them back on themselves, their locations, and cultures instead of this tiring, tired orientalist bullshit.

10 Likes

Norco did this well.

4 Likes

Creative writing 101 is “write what you know” not “write what you vaguely understand about another culture.”

9 Likes