Let's talk Coens and the Coens Extended Universe.

Season 2 of Fargo was good.

1 Like

I’m very excited for this one. I remember seeing it on their IMDB page years and years ago so I guess it’s been in development a long time, but it looks at least as good as anything they’ve done in ages.

I read this Coens deep cut at the height of my fandom, but now I can’t remember anything about it. I think it was pretty good? I bet the audiobook is something.

I wonder how one enters the Coen Bros acting stable. All of a sudden Josh Brolin was the protag of No Country and boom, now he’s the main guy here too.

A serious man was so good!

4 Likes

Apparently a To the White Sea adaptation is back in the works but is no longer a Coen brothers project.

They’ve dropped The Yiddish Policemen’s Union, haven’t they?

I’m looking forward to hail Caesar. A serious man is probably my third favorite of theirs after lebowski and Fargo. Never liked O Brother, ought to watch no country again sometime.

I was a projectionist at a theater when it came out. I had to explain that, no, really, that’s how the movie ends. It’s like the story from the Torah. Never mind. Many times.

also, I always forget to do the “I’LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND” bit from Barton Fink when I’m meeting someone from across a distance in a crowd, but the handful of times I’ve remembered it has not gone well

it’s true that I almost can’t imagine not liking Fargo. It’s so well-realized. I find the new TV show horribly garish by comparison.

No Country isn’t Fargo, it’s Raising Arizona w a different tone and money instead of a baby.

They’re the same movie.

1 Like
  1. The Big Lebowski
  2. A Serious Man
  3. Inside Llewyn Davies
  4. Barton Fink
  5. O Brother, Where Art Thou?
  6. Miller’s Crossing
  7. True Grit
  8. The Hudsucker Proxy
  9. No Country For Old Men
  10. Fargo
  11. The Man Who Wasn’t There
  12. Burn After Reading
  13. Raising Arizona
  14. Blood Simple
  15. Intolerable Cruelty
  16. The Ladykillers

not a final list but this is how I’d rank their movies going by instinct. I like at least some part of every movie except Intolerable Cruelty and the Ladykillers. I was convinced their career was over after those two movies, but No Country was a return to form and they haven’t really had any missteps since.

I agree with everything in this post but I don’t use blood potions so I’m making this post instead

This is fun. Here would be mine:

1. Raising Arizona (For personal reasons)
  2. No Country For Old Men
  3. The Big Lebowski
  4. Inside Llewyn Davies
  5. A Serious Man- (Tie) Both “new” but I assume they will hold up
  6. Miller’s Crossing
  7. O Brother, Where Art Thou - As a movie not sure, but the soundtrack is like an indelible part of my adolescence thanks to parental obsession. True Grit could go here if I was thinking just about first impressions but it doesn’t hold up to me. (See below)
  8. Blood Simple
  9. Fargo (Tie)- These ones are so similar to me. Blood Simple is amazingly good for being their first movie.
  10. Barton Fink - Everyone loves this but I only saw it once and it didn’t make a huge impression.
  11. The Man Who Wasn’t There - OK I guess. They reference my hometown in it so +1
  12. Hudsucker Proxy - Overrated IMO
  13. True Grit: TBH I forgot about this, maybe it should be higher. Rewatched recently and found it boring.
  14. Burn After Reading - Honestly, I hated this when I saw it. I’ve since revisited certain scenes and can appreciate it now, but I have to be honest with my feelings.
    Never saw these because I assumed they were trash:
  15. Intolerable Cruelty
  16. The Ladykillers

If we’re talking Extended Universe, shouldn’t you be including Evil Dead 2 and Crimewave in your rankings?

Don’t forget Bridge of Spies!