Let's Play Paladin's Quest! AKA Lennus: Memories of an Ancient Machine.

the virgin ted woosley: I can’t let this playable character be named Mash — gotta give him something regal sounding like Sabin.

the chad roe r adams iii: SMASH SMASH SMASH

1 Like

Roe R Adams the Third; sounds like the name of a stuck up fish character from Spongebob Squarepants.

Paladin's Quest551

Smash, unlike Fritz and Tiger before him, is in the back. I feel this marks a turning point in the game, that we are now being seen as more capable and responsible.

Paladin's Quest552

Our good man Smash may not have the prettiest mug, but when bombs are your weapons, no one is really going to be getting on your case about it.

Paladin's Quest553

I like how Smash has exactly the sort of equipment you would expect of a miner. Note the Bomb Bottle that he has on his belt; this takes the place of a medicine bottle, making him a markedly more offensive character. Like Fritz, he has no magic.

Paladin's Quest556

The item shop owner has moved into the tavern and will now refill our bottles for free. This means, yes, we have yet another good grinding spot available if we want to gain more experience and money. Paladin’s Quest still loves us and wants us to have a good time, for now.

Paladin's Quest558

That smoky effect is what it looks like when Smash uses his Bomb Bottle in battle. This effect repeats on every monster on the screen, inflicting 30-40 damage to each enemy that it hits. Not that it can miss, but the accuracy is reliable and is our first weapon that can hit every enemy on the screen.

Paladin's Quest560

Here we pick up a Pickaxe, which we equip on Chezni to give him three more attack power. Whee. This chest is directly south of where we went up into the tavern, and down that ladder is where we need to go. From here on out its a straight shot to our final destination.

Paladin's Quest565

Here we see two new sets of enemies; the ones in the middle are Smushes, and their attacks can hit multiple party members at once. The ones on the bottom are Rockbombs, who will attempt to detonate on their turn. Unlike the balloons, there is no knowing when they will successfully explode, and they have pretty high defense being made of rock and all. They are not one of my favorite enemy types.

Paladin's Quest566

Short Boots go onto Chezni, giving him 1 defense and 2 attack speed. Equipment at this point in the game just isn’t very exciting. That will change eventually.

Paladin's Quest569

Upon reaching this point, this scene triggers.

Paladin's Quest570

Paladin's Quest571

Paladin's Quest572

Smash misspeaks here; the lava has not stopped, but is in fact flowing backwards into the now sealed section. As you can see, everything you thought you knew about lava and how it works was absolutely 1000% wrong.

At this point, we must now walk all the way back to town.

Paladin's Quest574

And now we get our very first ambush encounter. Yay. Enemies will attack from off-screen in this first round, which you can hear and sometimes see the corners of certain attack animations, but otherwise you don’t know what’s going on until the surprise round is over and the camera pans around to reveal who just stomped all over you.

Paladin's Quest575

And here we see a Slimy has successfully poisoned Chezni. This does nothing during battle, so its really not worth spending an action during the fight to fix.

Paladin's Quest576

Chezni has gained a level! Power 5, Speed 6, Endurance 2, Luck 4.

Paladin's Quest577

By this point, we’re gaining sufficient experience in each fight that if Chezni goes up in level, so does Midia. Power 3, Speed 7, Endurance 2, and Luck 7

Paladin's Quest578

More importantly, Midia has now achieved maximum Earth magic! This may not seem too impressive right now, but trust me, this is going to be supremely useful when we get the right spells on her.

Paladin's Quest580

Nothing special about this fight, I just wanted to show that we’re starting to get larger, more involved battles where having more area of effect damage is increasingly useful.

Paladin's Quest582

Smash gains a level, but its not particularly important. You see…

Paladin's Quest583

As soon as we step out of the tavern, the lava starts disappearing and the town goes back to normal, complete with all the buildings being not-destroyed.

Paladin's Quest585

He tells us that we should see Daphne, he’ll see us again if fate allows, and then leaves the party.

Paladin's Quest589

With the town back to normal, the item shop man will return to his shop, so it would be a really good idea to have him refill your bottles before stepping outside. Oh yeah, and now we get to hire our first mercenary ever, in the tavern down below.

Paladin's Quest590

Guess the piano man changed his mind.

Paladin's Quest591

The elder repeats the same thing we’ve heard many times over about how Daphne is in Jurayn and we should see her to have her answer all our questions.

Paladin's Quest596

With the town no longer on fire, standard market prices reassert themselves.

Paladin's Quest597

Paladin's Quest598

We are not going on a quest to resolve this man’s fatalism, he’s just going to need to go get counseling on his own time.

Paladin's Quest599

Which I can assure you, Chezni had nothing to do with.

Paladin's Quest600

Being appreciated by the townsfolk is always nice.

Paladin's Quest601

We are getting very close to Jurayn.

Paladin's Quest602

Here is the weapon and armor shop that we would not have been able to use if we had stolen the contents of that chest. In the end, I don’t actually buy anything here. The gains from new equipment just isn’t big enough for me to feel it worthwhile to spend money.

Paladin's Quest603

If we answer yes, that just…ends the text. Not even a harrumph. Feels a bit rude. We’ll answer no so that he’ll tell us what he has to say about the history of Hagudo.

Paladin's Quest604

He goes on to say that Gabnid unleashed all sorts of magic onto Lennus, cared nothing for the feuds between Naskuot and Saskuot and he and Kormu brought relief to the people, and he’s sure we’ve heard lots of stories about Gabnid as we’ve traveled across Lennus. Yes we have, and that’s not about to change any time soon.

Paladin's Quest610

This man by the tavern goes on to say that Daphne is rumored to be the reincarnation of Gabnid. Now there’s something interesting, but is it true? Rumors do have a way of getting out of hand after all, even in a JRPG.

We enter the tavern where we get a summation of how mercenaries work; you can only have up to two at a time, you can’t change their equipment or spells, and if they leave your party you have to go back to where you recruited them before to pick them up again. This last one is not strictly true, but I’ll get to that when that option opens up to us.

Paladin's Quest621

Now, at long lost, the first mercenary of the game!

Paladin's Quest622

And after everything we’ve done for his boss, he’ll even join us for free!

Paladin's Quest623

Gorf, like his boss, extols the virtues of bombs.

Paladin's Quest624

As we can see, Gorf is functionally identical to Smash.

At this point, we can now put the “Let’s” in Let’s Play; do I recruit Gorf for my party, or do I go on without him? The upside for Gorf is having an additional attacker, but the downside is that he’ll get a share of experience which means Chezni and Midia won’t level up as quickly. I will leave it up to you to decide, I am more than capable of playing through this game with whatever mercenary choices you throw at me.

5 Likes

Might as well take Gorf, he’s a cutie and his bombs damage every enemy (!)

Gorf without coward

That’s one vote for, one against. If we can just get one more vote, that can break the tie.

Gorf!

GORF GORF GORF GORF

1 Like

Gorf it will be then! I will get started on making further progress in Paladin’s Quest soon and show off everything that Gorf is made of! 8D

4 Likes

6 Likes

Paladin's Quest625

The will of the thread has spoken, Gorf has joined the party.

Paladin's Quest626

So now we’re going to take the western ladder so we can get back on track to Jurayn and seeing what Daphne can tell us.

Paladin's Quest628

Midia manages to gain a level before Chezni, making my declaration last time already wrong. I am so good at this game. Power 3, Speed 7, Endurance 2, Luck 6

Paladin's Quest629

Chezni gains Power 6, Speed 5, Endurance 3, and Luck 6

Paladin's Quest630

Now that we’re outside on the western side, we get new enemy encounters. The big guys in the middle are Slap Kongs who can hit the same target twice for almost 130 damage. The blobby rabbit things are Preyers, and they can sacrifice themselves to restore everyone else to full health. In this fight, Midia was able to use Freeze to stop the Slapkongs from being able to act and she’s nowhere near maxed out on her sphere element. Gorf, on the other hand, did not do so well; the Bomb bottle only did 18 damage to the slapkongs, 12 to the preyers.

Paladin's Quest631

These are the Blackboms, and that is the damage that Gorf’s Bomb Bottle does to them.

Paladin's Quest632

This, by contrast, is the damage that Chezni’s FireG is doing. I will remind you that I have done zero grinding, which means this is the best that Gorf can look.

Paladin's Quest634

We now enter the town of Jurayn at long last, and it would be our luck that it is raining. We took some heavy hits on the way into town, so I go to the inn to rest, and while we’re there…

Paladin's Quest635

Paladin's Quest636

Lousy font choice splitting up text that should be able to fit into one text box, making me have to put up two screencaps instead of one. Anyway!

Paladin's Quest637

This guy says they’re going to talk with the mayor, but somehow I don’t think these guys are really all that diplomatic. Call it a hunch.

Paladin's Quest686

Paladin's Quest687

Presumably this place is more beautiful when its not constantly raining. That said, this place is fairly big, and unlike previous towns features all the different races of Naskuot that we’ve encountered up to this point, which does give it that cosmopolitan feel appropriate for a capital city.

Paladin's Quest639

Here is what we can purchase at the weapon and armor shop. I pass on buying anything for now, there’s other things I’m going to do with my money in town.

Paladin's Quest640

I can relate, my dryer is broken and it sucks to be stuck with wet clothes.

Paladin's Quest641

This guy says there’s a rumor someone’s brought down the wrath of the Immortals and that’s why the rain won’t stop. I can neither confirm nor deny.

Paladin's Quest643

You know, it really isn’t a joke. It really, really isn’t.

Paladin's Quest644

This on the other hand is an excellent joke and I will laugh whole-heartedly.

Paladin's Quest645

Unfortunately, this guy informs us that Daphne could not stand dealing with the idiot mayor and left. Where has she gone off to?

Paladin's Quest647

Unfortunately we can’t just skip Jurayn and go straight to the equator, but we’ll find out why soon enough. By checking the shelf though…

Paladin's Quest648

We get a Light card! That will be put to use very shortly, but not right at the moment.

Paladin's Quest649

Paladin's Quest650

Yep, the northern checkpoint is closed, so we’re going to need to resolve things here so that the useless idiot mayor will open it up again.

Paladin's Quest651

Paladin's Quest652

I have a funny feeling that these temples and idols are going to be very relevant to us resolving things here in Jurayn. Also, why would you have an idol dedicated to evil? That sounds like a terrible idea! At least call it chaos or something.

Paladin's Quest656

Huzzah, at long last, new magic for Chezni!

Paladin's Quest657

Now Chezni has caught up with Midia in terms of numbers of spells. The guy to the right sells the Sphere spirit, which we already have.

Paladin's Quest659

BlowUp, or Gasuzekon as it was known in Lennus, is an interesting spell; it targets all enemies on the screen, but its accuracy is dependent on Chezni’s Fire and Light levels. Because I’ve been building up his fire magic so much, it should have decent accuracy right out of the gate.

Paladin's Quest660

Accordingly, I move my Freeze and BlowUp spells to the top of Chezni’s menu so that he’ll be able to use both right away in battle and keep improving on all his spirits at a steady pace.

Paladin's Quest661

What level of useless is this mayor on that this guy would warn us to be careful around him?

Paladin's Quest662

He goes on to say that the temple in the sky is going to fall and we should get out of here. We ignore his unfounded fears, that temple is never going to fall, ever.

Paladin's Quest664

The Power Helmet would give Chezni 2 more defense, but two less speed than his Feathered Hat. I’ll keep the feathered hat on, having a slight chance of getting an attack off before the enemy is far more valuable than a slight reduction in physical damage.

Paladin's Quest665

Paladin's Quest666

This man gives us more information on what our trip to the equator is going to be like. In a word, long.

Paladin's Quest667

He says this bunch is up to no good, but I bet they’re not that bad.

Paladin's Quest669

Just a reminder that Chezni and Midia are kids.

Over to the left is a group of four men in armor. Starting with the one on the bottom right…

Paladin's Quest670

Paladin's Quest671

Then the guy in the upper right…

Paladin's Quest672

Paladin's Quest673

Followed by the guy in the upper left…

Paladin's Quest674

Paladin's Quest675

And finally, the guy on the bottom left.

Paladin's Quest676

Paladin's Quest677

Paladin's Quest678

There’s just nothing but incompetence going around in the political scene.

Fortunately, there’s two guys here who should be quite competent!

Paladin's Quest679

Gorf was a freebie, but from now on mercenaries are going to charge us varrying amounts of money for their services. Zuran, or Dash as he was known in Lennus, wants 500 gold.

Paladin's Quest680

If nothing else, he is damn confident.

Paladin's Quest681

He’s very lightly equipped, but the boomerang is interesting; when used to attack, it will hit the entire group of enemies, which we’ve well established to be very very useful.

Paladin's Quest682

He also has the Defense Up spell at a decent level.

Paladin's Quest683

Dan was known in Lennus as…um, Dan.

Paladin's Quest684

Dan is a fellow Lafury like Chezni and Midia, so apparently when they grow up they’re going to get really fancy eyebrows.

Paladin's Quest685

He’s not kidding about that kicking power; he’s equipped with Iron boots and if you select them as his attack he will do a significant amount of damage. The Tonfas are also good though, as picking them will have Dan attack twice, and if both hits go to the same enemy they’ll deal comperable damage to the Iron Boots. Dan has no magic, so no screencap there.

I know we just had a voting session, but now we have another one. It is up to you to tell me how we are going to handle Dan and Zuran; will we recruit both of them and kick Gorf out, recruit only one of them, or some other course of action? Whatever you choose, next time we’ll go see the useless useless mayor and figure out what we need to do.

4 Likes

Gorf how could you

gorf the fuck outta here!

1 Like

do you think GORF and GORT from shining force would be friends?

2 Likes

also i need more lady daphnY

daphnY

romhack that makes all daphnes DAPHNYS

(That’s the boss ship from Gorf exploding.)

(That means ditch Gorf.)

1 Like

I wanna see how powerful Dan’s kicks are.

1 Like

The thread has spoken.

Also, all the apologies to everyone for how long this update took. The last time I tried, my browser kept freezing up when trying to upload screenshots and it made me nervous. But I’m going to keep at it, because this game deserves better than me being a worrywort.

Paladin's Quest688

Dan and his mighty kicks will fight for our cause.

Paladin's Quest689

Zuran is not pleased with us trying to recruit him when we still have a full party.

Now we go into the menu, select Exit, pick Gorf, and…

Paladin's Quest692

Paladin's Quest693

Paladin's Quest694

Sorry Gorf, but your Bomb Bottles scaled really poorly once we left Hagudo. Maybe talk to Smash about improving the design?

Paladin's Quest695

And now that we have our new party members, this is as good a time as any to use that Light card we picked up at Daphne’s house.

Paladin's Quest696

This is the best outcome for using one of these cards.

Paladin's Quest697

See that? Now there is a distinct visible bar for our Light magic. Fire and sphere are also both really good. If we keep this up, by the time we reach Daphne we should have at least Fire maxed out and Sphere nearly so.

Paladin's Quest698

With everything else taken care of, we now go into the big building in the middle of town.

Paladin's Quest699

Funny, I would think being a weirdo would be a requirement to entering an underground temple.

Paladin's Quest700

There’s nowhere else he can be, so that checks out.

Paladin's Quest701

Paladin's Quest720

Taking the elevator brings us all the way up to this big flower tower place.

Paladin's Quest702

Just how much does he talk?

From here,

Paladin's Quest703

To here,

Paladin's Quest719

is 17 text boxes. Yes, 17. No one else in the game is nearly so talkative. The townsfolk were right to warn us about him.

Anyway, to summarize a very long monologue, he tells us that Daphne’s moved on and we can’t go through the checkpoint to the north but then he notices that Midia has Sophie’s Crown and tells us to go to the underground temple, take the energy of the idol there into the crown, and then transmit that energy to the idol in the upper temple so it doesn’t crash down and kill everyone.

So that’s exactly what we’re going to do. We head back down the elevator.

Paladin's Quest721

Paladin's Quest722

Because of course there are evil monsters in the evil underground temple dedicated to evil.

Paladin's Quest723

I’m going to be honest, this place is a bit disappointing. It doesn’t feel like a temple, just a random tiny maze. For example, the path to the far right would take me to a treasure chest, but I am a dunderhead despite having played this game so many times and don’t go there until the end.

Paladin's Quest725

Here we encounter some of the new enemies of the dungeon; Hupman was Razorwind, while F. Witch was Flame Witch. And this is when we start having random encounters with enemies who use magic; Flame Witch uses fire magic, while Hupman uses Break magic. Thus, this becomes a good opportunity to start making use of the MGDown spell to bounce that magical damage back at them.

Paladin's Quest726

This is the damage Zuran does with his boomerang. Not terribly impressive, but that’s because each enemy here is in its own group. There will be encounters in this sequence with four enemies in a group, and the boomerang will do that damage to all of them.

Paladin's Quest727

Here the Flame Witch casts FireS, which happens to target Midia. The screen turning dark is our indicator that the enemy is doing a magic attack. There will be times when an enemy’s attack animation might lead you to think its magic, but if the screen stays bright, then its your armor that’s keeping you alive. And your HP too.

Paladin's Quest729

And this is what it looks like after Dan has booted the Hupman in the face. 91 damage is very good.

Then Chezni casts blow up.

Paladin's Quest730

This is the energy gathering in the middle of the screen.

Paladin's Quest731

Here is that energy pulsating.

Paladin's Quest732

And then it explodes out. During this portion of the spell, enemies that get hit will flash.

Paladin's Quest733

The very first BlowUp of the game hits two out of three targets and does 48 damage. Its pretty good right now, it’ll become great as we max out both Fire and Light on Chezni.

Paladin's Quest734

Here we see what happens when a Flame Witch targets Chezni with a fire spell. Because his Fire spirit is so high, he takes next to no damage from them. A very handy feature.

Paladin's Quest735

And this is what happens when Midia has gotten off her MGDown spell; the enemy will take 1/4 the damage they inflicted from the magic attack. If bouncing off just one target, its not much, but if you’re bouncing off area magic that hits everyone, that adds up fast.

Paladin's Quest737

A brand new encounter with brand new enemies. The G.Goblin was an Ancient Monk, the Deatheye a Cursed Eye, and the Spilit was, drumroll please, an Ancient Spirit.

The G.Goblin and Spilit both do physical attacks, while the Deatheye can do fire magic in addition to physical attacks.

Paladin's Quest740

Chezni may be in bad shape here, but his BlowUp did hit all the surviving enemies. This is thanks to diligently improving his fire magic throughout the game up to this point.

Paladin's Quest741

Chezni gained a level. Power 4, Speed 5, Endurance 2, and Luck 4

Paladin's Quest742

Midia also gains a level. Power 3, Speed 5, Endurance 4, and Luck 7.

Paladin's Quest743

There is a FlightDoor in the chest on the upper left. Nothing special.

Paladin's Quest744

The Lao-Tses, also known as Lightning Elders, use lightning magic.

Paladin's Quest746

Its funny to me how the BlowUp hitting everyone can look like its hitting no one when you’re taking screenshots like this.

Paladin's Quest747

The world map is kept in some obscure treasure chest in this random little dungeon. Its not a big deal if you miss it here, but there are some points in the game where you’d like a little sense of where you are in relation to the world.

Paladin's Quest748

And this is exactly the kind of encounter that Zuran shines in.

Paladin's Quest749

In a neat touch, when Spilit is hit with the Freeze spell, this causes the skulls rotating around it to stop moving. Any enemy with an animation effect like that will have that happen to them.

Paladin's Quest750

We walk up to the idol, touch it, a whirring sound plays, and we’ve done what we came to do.

Paladin's Quest751

Chezni gains another level up. Power 6, Speed 5, Endurance 2, and Luck 6

Paladin's Quest752

Midia also levels up. Power 4, Speed 7, Endurance 4, and Luck 5.

Paladin's Quest753

After another fight, Dan gains a level. Power 2, Speed 5, Endurance 3, and Luck 5.

Paladin's Quest755

And then following another fight, Zuran gains a level. Power 4, Speed 5, Endurance 4, and Luck 7.

Paladin's Quest757

Following that, we obtain a pair of Middle Boots for Chezni, and then his short boots go to Midia for a very tiny boost to defense and attack speed.

Paladin's Quest759

And then Chezni gains his third level in this underground temple. Power 3, Speed 5, Endurance 3, and Luck 4.

Paladin's Quest760

Midia also gains her third level here. Power 3, Speed 6, Endurance 2, and Luck 6

After that we are able to leave the underground temple. But will it really be that easy for us to keep the floating temple from crashing down on everyone, or will the mayor’s incompetence doom us all? Find in the next exciting post of Let’s Play Paladin’s Quest!

6 Likes

Well this was a long time coming wasn’t it? I did not mean for things to get this badly delayed, but life finds a way. Well, I can’t promise the resolution of this chapter of Paladin’s Quest will be exciting enough to justify this delay, but here it is anyway!

Paladin's Quest762

Upon leaving the underground temple, the mayor is now standing in front of the elevator to the upper temple.

Paladin's Quest765

Paladin's Quest766

Paladin's Quest767

Paladin's Quest768

The situation is so dire that the mayor is able to force himself to explain what’s going on in only four text boxes. This is serious stuff.

Paladin's Quest761

If we go back to the tavern, the rebel army is gone, corroborating the mayor’s story with some nice attention to detail. I also go ahead and rest at the inn and buy medicine for my bottles, but that was just me being cautious, I really could have pressed on without that. Still, measure twice cut once and all that.

Paladin's Quest771

So now we find ourselves in the upper temple, from which we can see the ground below. I would be terrified and I know I’m not alone in that.

Paladin's Quest773

And our first encounter is an ambush on a pair of Sorcerers! Unfortunately, it has been such a long time since I played this part I don’t recall what these guys do exactly. I think they have a stunning attack that they can do.

Paladin's Quest774

Either way, here is what they look like before they die and disappear.

Paladin's Quest775

Along the way we open a chest and get a Mid Sword, a mild weapon upgrade that will certainly never see any actual use because building up your magic is how you win in this game.

Paladin's Quest776

I equip it anyway of course, because like I’m going to go around with less than the best equipment I can find.

Paladin's Quest777

The first boss of the game is now a recurring random encounter. Its not exactly the same, but he still hits pretty hard and you want to kill them as quickly as possible. Freeze is an excellent way to make this fights easy if you’ve built up your Sphere spirit enough.

Paladin's Quest778

And here we find the Mid Dress, which is much more appreciated than the sword since armor will help us with the way I’m playing.

Paladin's Quest782

At the top we see these guys standing in front of the idol, the supposed Diplomatic Corps from Saskuot. There is no sign whatsoever of the Rebel Army, so I’m going to propose that once everyone made it on top, these two killed them all. Gruesome stuff.

Paladin's Quest780

Paladin's Quest781

Before we go into the boss fight, here is how Chezni and Midia’s magic is looking. We are getting so close to maxed out Fire and Sphere on Chezni, and when that happens, things will get interesting. But enough about that, let’s see what these guys have to say for themselves.

Paladin's Quest783

Sorry Paladin’s Quest, you’re at least ten years too early to be cashing in on that meme at the end there.

Paladin's Quest784

These are the Renegades. There are two of them, and they can both hit pretty damn hard.

Paladin's Quest785

As you can see here, we’re going to have Midia use Freeze on them.

Paladin's Quest786

And now they are both paralyzed and can’t do anything. It might seem unfair to do this to our third boss fight in the game, but the way I see it, this is revenge for all the boss fights that never allow you to use any kind of debuff on the enemy.

Naturally, with the both of them frozen in place, it is not difficult at all for us to kill them both with our very powerful magic, and Dan’s kicking power.

Paladin's Quest787

I don’t know, Zaygos sent you guys to bring the temple down with you still inside it. He doesn’t strike me as the forgiving sort.

Paladin's Quest788

But with the temple’s power restored, there will be no catastrophic falling.

Paladin's Quest789

And so on our way back down, we see that the endless rain has stopped and the peaceful town music has returned, signaling that we have indeed saved the day.

Paladin's Quest790

And the mayor shows us his appreciation by giving us the Navdex, or Pass, that will let us through the checkpoint sentry so that we can begin the trek to find where Daphne went after she could no longer put up with how useless the mayor is.

Paladin's Quest795

Though apparently his uselessness does allow him to take credit behind our backs at record speed. Fortunately, the people of Jurayn know better than to believe that he had anything to do with saving Jurayn.

Paladin's Quest796

Paladin's Quest797

Well, some townspeople are smart enough anyway.

Paladin's Quest798

Alas, the angry wife’s dialogue is not updated, but I like to think that this is because the mayor will get deposed when he tries to engineer a new crisis to keep his political career going. Only time will tell.

Paladin's Quest799

Oh, and I forgot to show off the level that Dan got after the fight with the Renegades. Power up 3, Speed 6, Endurance 2, and Luck 4.

Now, does this chapter qualify as a wonderous misadventure? Every side involved is sufficiently buffoonish, and going up and down the temples and seeing the city of Jurayn in full daylight at the end is a pretty wonderous sight…so congratulations Paladin’s Quest, the Wonderous Misadventure count is now up to two!

Stay tuned everyone for what will hopefully be a much more timely update next time.

11 Likes

I am very flattered by the warm welcome back to the board!

Paladin's Quest800

Up to the north we can see the Jurayn checkpoint, where we can use our Navdex to move onto the next part of the game.

Paladin's Quest801

And its just that simple; save the government from its own incompetence, and the red tape disappears.

Paladin's Quest802

If we tell this guy no, he’ll say that that’s a good thing because the road ahead is long and hard. If we say yes, he will elaborate on how long and empty the road ahead is. Kind of makes you wonder why there’s a checkpoint here to begin with. Something’s not adding up here…

Paladin's Quest806

So begins our long trek; it can be a little tricky to figure out exactly which way to go, and its possible that you might go the wrong way. Fortunately, no side path goes on very long, so the worst that will happen is an extra encounter or two at the most.

Paladin's Quest808

Speaking of which, after an encounter with some Slapkongs and Preyers, Midia gains a level. Power 3, speed 7, endurance 4, and luck 5.

Paladin's Quest809

Zuran also gained a level on that same fight. Power 3, Speed 5, Endurance 1, Luck 5. I think that endurance may be the first time anyone’s gained only 1 stat point on a level up. If you can prove me wrong, you get a free cookie!

Paladin's Quest810

Poor Chezni. Literally 1 experience point away from a level up.

Paladin's Quest812

Fortunately, the very next encounter fixes that problem nice and neat. Power 3, Speed 5, Endurance 3, Luck 5.

Paladin's Quest814

And now we have new monsters! Specifically, the Eaters down in the lower right. Now, these guys are supposed to be able to eat a party member, which makes it so that they can’t do anything and any damage you do to the Eater is also inflicted onto the eaten character, but I can’t remember a single time in any of my playthroughs where this ever happened. That said, these guys do hit decently hard as it is, so that’s just as well.

Paladin's Quest815

Down below we can see a town up on a hill, and really this isn’t too far from the checkpoint. What the heck was that guy back at the checkpoint doing saying there weren’t any towns?

Paladin's Quest816

More importantly, after that fight, Chezni’s Fire spirit has been maxed out!

Paladin's Quest817

I’ve rearranged his spells a little so I can focus on building up his Light and Sphere spirits more easily.

Paladin's Quest819

Time for another new enemy, the Elepsaur! They are big, tough, they can hit twice and both attacks hurt for a lot. I definitely recommend trying to Freeze them so that you can kill them more expediently. Also, there is a Sacryfr, an upgraded version of the Preyer, but he works exactly the same, try to kill him so he can’t heal everyone else and make the fight drag out.

Paladin's Quest821

And two more new enemies in this fight! Up to our right are the Heliopits, which have a physical attack that can target multiple characters in the party. The lizardy monster is a nestpod. If he does anything special, I killed him too quick for it to come up. Probably can poison or paralyze you like the previous version of the same monster.

Paladin's Quest822

And now we’ve made it to Dubour, the town of the Lubott. And being as they are playing the peaceful town music, everything here is doing just fine. Its nice to go into a town and not have to worry about how the hellbeast you unleashed upon the world has messed things up and now you have to fix it.

Paladin's Quest823

This guy goes on to say that there are supposed to be really good shops and such here, but no one will tell him where they are, and deems the locals a cold bunch.

Paladin's Quest826

If we say no, this person will explain that a Lubott is a hybrid of any two of the races of Lennus, and that they are a Saynol-Guud Lubott. If you go back to a much much earlier post, back when we first picked up Fritz, you’ll see that he was a Lubott. This could shed a bit of light on why he was a loner who rebuffed the advances of that one Guud woman back in town. I like that, it enriches the world and gets us thinking about how things are on Lennus.

Paladin's Quest830

He goes on to say that this is what Gabnid had said 10,000 years ago, and while this is a bit vaguely worded, I like to think that Gabnid had a soft spot for the Lubott and didn’t want to see them getting persecuted. I’m wondering now if this is what the checkpoint was about, keeping Dubour and Jurayn separated? Its this kind of thing that helps Lennus feel like a lived-in place that can support more stories than just the one being told right now. I like that.

Paladin's Quest832

This guy rattles off animals going wild, volcanoes erupting, and some clown named Zaygos acting up. He’s pretty well informed.

Paladin's Quest836

The equipment shop here has nothing special, nothing we want. Looks like the guy from the inn was right, this place is hiding the good stuff.

Paladin's Quest837

This place looks suspicious! Let’s check it out.

Paladin's Quest838

This guy is rude and no help at all. After talking to him, we’re treated to a blank text box, and when we hit the confirm button a few times we get a musical ding and then we get kicked out.

Paladin's Quest839

Up in the house to the north, we find a sphere card!

Paladin's Quest840

Three points is still better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Paladin's Quest841

This is like when we had to cure the dancing sisters in Hagudo, only a lot simpler since we have the antidote bottle already.

Paladin's Quest842

The kid’s not very talkative.

Paladin's Quest843

So we give him the antidote and cure him, consuming one charge from our bottle.

Paladin's Quest844

For our reward, he will sing us a song.

Paladin's Quest846

Paladin's Quest847

I think it loses something in the translation. Still, we did learn something useful.

Paladin's Quest849

See that little icon in the corner? That means it isn’t time yet to put in the secret code. We need to press confirm, and then start entering the code.

Paladin's Quest850

Now that the text box is totally blank, we press A, A, B, X, Y and get the treasure chest jingle.

Paladin's Quest851

And also the secret stairs appear, allowing us to go on down.

Paladin's Quest852

And right away we get someone telling us that Daphne left for the equator, but its a very long way there and they’re worried about whether she was able to make it all that way by herself. If she did, that lends more credence to the idea that we should listen to what she has to say; someone that strong knows what they’re doing.

Paladin's Quest856

This person thinks that Chezni and Midia are lubotts on account of their hair and eye color not matching Lafuyan norms. Hmm!

Paladin's Quest858

Poor, poor Mouth. His name is actually Richter, but due to poor transliteration, that became Lichter, and then probably due to space limitations and a bad sense of humor, that became Mouth. Because Lick-ter. Mouth. Get it? Still, if we had the Ultimate Mercenary on our side, that would probably make things easier for us.

Paladin's Quest860

Fortunately, what does make our lives a lot easier now is a new spirit! If we hadn’t gotten the password from the kid, we would have missed out on this and had to wait for the next town to get the Sky spirit for Chezni and Midia. As has been said, its a long way to the next town, so this is very nice

Paladin's Quest861

Paladin's Quest862

We’ve got a bunch of new spells thanks to this spirit; for Chezni we have DFdown, BoltG, Heat, and Break S. Midia gets STRup instead of Heat. Heat is an attack spell that hits all enemies on screen; overall it has lower attack power but its much more reliable than BlowUp. Granted, since Chezni’s fire magic is maxed out and he’s got pretty good Light, BlowUp actually has good accuracy now. I might use Heat a little, but I feel like BlowUp will prove to be the better spell.

Paladin's Quest863

And here we get the real weapon and armor shop that gives us much better equipment, so much so that I will actually pay money for new armor; I get the Fire Shield and Heavy Armor for Chezni to raise his defense by 15 points, while Midia gets the Power Dress and Long Boot, which raises her defense by 5 and her speed by 2.

Paladin's Quest865

Finally, we have new mercenaries to consider! Over here is Slayer, a much more metal name than his Lennus counterpart, Maramba.

Paladin's Quest866

Paladin's Quest867

Paladin's Quest868

Slayer is primarily a physical fighter, but he also has some nice defensive magic to help protect the whole party, like Wall. In addition his Evil Shield can be used in battle to cast BreakS, giving him a magical attack option if you so choose.

Paladin's Quest869

Destry doesn’t charge nearly as much as Slayer does.

Paladin's Quest870

Paladin's Quest871

Paladin's Quest872

The battle cutlass he’s equipped with lets him attack an entire enemy group, and the BreakA spell lets him attack every enemy on screen. Finally, if you’re getting annoyed by the encounter rate, he can cast Peace to help make the weaker enemies leave you be.

Paladin's Quest873

Paladin's Quest874

Here are Dan and Zuran’s stats for reference. Dan has no spells, while Zuran only has DFup. With all this in mind, it is now up to you, my faithful followers of the thread; do we ditch Dan and Zuran for Slayer and Destry, or do we only drop one to pick up one new friend? Or do we just stick with what we’ve got? Heck, maybe we get rid of all the mercenaries altogether and save all the experience for ourselves! I now await the decision of the thread.

4 Likes

(I don’t have an actual preference)

1 Like