Let's Play Lennus II: The Apostles of the Seals!

Episode 1: This Let’s Play Will Not Be Monetized.

Greetings one and all, and welcome to my second Let’s Play for the forum and just in general. Previously I played the super obscure SNES JRPG Paladin’s Quest. Now I’m going even further into obscurity by playing its sequel that never left Japan, Lennus II: The Apostles of the Seals. Being released in Japan a mere two months before the Nintendo 64 was brought over to America, Lennus II did not get an official release. Since this game was never released in English, I am making use of a fan-translation patch.

Lennus II000

This is the bunch that we have to thank for bringing us Lennus II in a form we can understand.

Lennus II005

And here is our title screen, and with it our title theme. That’s right, Lennus II can afford one of those!

Lennus II006

Our main menu is a bit more utilitarian, more in line with the previous game. Sound lets us choose between Stereo and Mono, Erase and Copy do what you think they’d do, and like the game says, choose Game to play.

Lennus II007

We will of course be using Log 1 for this Let’s Play. I’ll be making copies of my save file at certain points as appropriate.

Lennus II008

We will be sticking to the default name.

Lennus II009

We begin in the void.

Lennus II010

The void speaks. It goes about how everything has basically been suspended in a state of twilight until a light broke through the darkness to bring a new dawn.

Lennus II017 Lennus II018 Lennus II019

We see energy converge and a beam of light shine down at an angle. At the same time, music begins playing.

Lennus II021

We see four land masses floating in the void.

Lennus II023 Lennus II024

The light causes people to stop where they stand.

Lennus II026 Lennus II027

Finally, the light arrives at a strange structure.

Lennus II028

And there are people already gathered around the exact spot where it lands.

Lennus II029

Somewhere deep underground in the complex there is someone encased in crystal.

Lennus II032

Suddenly, this guy is talking, presumably to the guy in the crystal.

Lennus II034

And thus we are named Farus.

Lennus II035 Lennus II036

And thus Farus is freed from the crystal while being totally naked. Hopefully he can pick up some clothes on the way.

Lennus II037

And he does! And there’s that good old fashioned Mode 7 as Farus flies on up.

Lennus II039

With the light gone, we now stand in the center. Fun story; when I first played this game, I was still using the ZSNES emulator, which for some reason put Farus way up of where he’s supposed to be, but as soon as I could move he as in the right position. Snes9x has no such problem as you can see.

We also have the theme for our location playing, the Shrine of Farus.

Lennus II042 Lennus II043

So we already know that we’re a Raigan. No sense making that a late-game plot twist again. We also are given our mission right away, though we’re going to need a few more details before we can really get started.

Lennus II046

If we answer “No”, the Chief Caretaker will fret and worry and then ask us again. So let’s just say Yes so we can play the game.

Lennus II054 Lennus II058 Lennus II059

Well I wouldn’t want to keep them waiting…

Lennus II063

And then we have this moment. I can’t confirm it, but I do believe that there is only one moment in the original version where Farus speaks, and this is not it. There will be a fair few points where the localization adds in moments like these, but none of them are intrusive, so I’m okay with them.

Lennus II065 Lennus II067

We will take our time and speak to everyone, but there’s something I want to do first.

Lennus II068

By pressing X, I bring up my menu options! Save is always available, Health will automatically use healing items to restore everyone’s HP and the game is very smart about how it does it so I’ll be using that a lot, Party lets us change the order of party members and remove them, and then there’s Menu.

Lennus II073

Right now we have very precious little to our name.

Lennus II074 Lennus II075

We don’t even have any spells! We may be harnessing all the spirits one day, but we’re not doing that any time soon.

That said, there is one very important difference between Lennus II and Paladin’s Quest that we can see in our status menu; instead of Luck, we now have Wisdom. Wisdom plays a very important role in how powerful our magic is going to be; its not just our spirit levels this time around.

Lennus II076 Lennus II077

Speaking of Spirits, by going into the Spirits section, we can see that Fire, Light, and Air are all open, but we don’t have any spells from them. This will all get explained in the next update.

Lennus II078

We talk to the Chief Caretaker again, who explains that everything in the temple belongs to us so we should feel free to take what we need.

Lennus II083

If we answer no…

Lennus II085

But let’s not be rude and answer yes.

Lennus II086

He explains that there are four treasures in Andel that we need to gather and bring back here to usher in the Great Union, and he admits that’s the whole prophecy right there.

Lennus II099

This guy tells us that hundreds of generations of people have been waiting for the Raigans to awaken Farus to bring about the Great Union and make everyone happy.

Lennus II115 Lennus II119

I’ll let this guy speak for himself.

Lennus II121

This guy tells us that we have been in suspended animation for 10,000 years and all of his ancestors have been watching over us the entire time.

No pressure.

Lennus II128

These are the four treasures we are to find, and he warns us that while we are an Immortal Raigan, do not underestimate the perils outside. He is right to do so.

Lennus II136

If we say no…

Lennus II138 Lennus II139

No no wait wait, we want to know how to run!

Lennus II142 Lennus II143

Womp womp.

But yeah, we can dash in this game and I will be using it a lot. You’ll have to take my word for it though, since I can’t depict dashing in screenshots.

Lennus II144

Four continents, four caves, four treasures. Its a good thing that we don’t believe in Four is Death around here or I might be worried.

Lennus II147

Let’s answer no, since we haven’t.

Lennus II150

Aw, he sounds so hurt.

Let’s tell him yes now.

Lennus II152

So yeah, we’re going to be bringing the four treasures to this device specifically.

Lennus II157 Lennus II159 Lennus II160 Lennus II161

And we even have them all conveniently labeled for each treasure.

Lennus II162

We tell him yes and he lets us go downstairs.

Lennus II168 Lennus II169

We will definitely be talking to everyone.

Lennus II171

This guy is very excited at the prospect of our magic and how we will improve it, but as mentioned before, that will be covered in the next update.

Lennus II178

I do not know why these guys would be punished but I’ll make sure that they aren’t. He explains that this room contains the equipment of a hero who fell in battle defending Andel from monsters and now we are free to take it. He also tells us to search cabinets and storage bins as well.

Lennus II184

There’s always that guy.

Lennus II186

Nice thing about treasure chests in this game?

Lennus II189

They stay open after you’ve opened them!

Lennus II190 Lennus II191 Lennus II192

Unfortunately, the cabinets have nothing in them here.

Lennus II193 Lennus II194

And with a single press of Optimal, we get all of our equipment assigned just like that. No silly truncations in this game!

Lennus II195

When we move to leave these guys interrupt us. Fortunately they step out of the way right after so they get to keep their jobs.

Lennus II197

Downstairs in the room on the left we find a Light Card! I will use that after we get our official explanation about magic in this game, as there are some differences between it and Paladin’s Quest.

Lennus II198

This conversation is a treat and I will be showing all of it. You’re welcome.

Lennus II199 Lennus II200 Lennus II201 Lennus II203 Lennus II205 Lennus II208 Lennus II211 Lennus II213 Lennus II215 Lennus II216 Lennus II219

I did mention that this Let’s Play will not be monetized, right?

Lennus II221

She explains how each bottle holds nine doses, each bottle affects the medicine put in it, and in addition to shops we can also get medicine from free-standing machines and even rare individuals who will refill our medicine for free.

Lennus II228

She explains that we will need more experience before we get a spell that can restore HP, and also lectures us on how there’s no such thing as MP.

Lennus II241

I can’t think of a single time I would want to equip a bottle in a hand slot, but the option is there.

Lennus II242 Lennus II243 Lennus II245 Lennus II247

And right away we get to fill out a full party! Unlike in Paladin’s Quest, if we were to try to go outside alone, we would die horribly on the first random encounter. The land of Andel is rough.

If we talk to him again he’ll explain that anyone we dismiss will come back here and we can recruit them again. Furthermore there are Summon Taverns and other ways for us to recover old party members.

But that’s for later. Right now we need to meet our potential party members!

Lennus II255 Lennus II256 Lennus II257

Before we have anyone join, we’ll want to check out their stats and magic.

Lennus II258 Lennus II259

Suzan is Fire S, while Kekan is Bolt S. Having both Fire and Air gives Zock the SpeedUp buff. Unlike the original, this is not a party wide buff, not yet. As you gain more levels in your spirits, spells will gain improved effects, which for SpeedUp means more targets affected.

Lennus II261 Lennus II262 Lennus II263 Lennus II264

This guy certainly feels confident about himself.

Lennus II265 Lennus II266

Lelan is Break S. He has Defense Up, and despite being a level lower than Zock his attack power is higher than his.

Lennus II267Lennus II270

Joad gets a bad vibe from us, but he knows his job and will work hard for us if we do pick him.

Lennus II271 Lennus II272

Joad is very strong, especially since he’s the highest level of the three we’ve met so far. He’s got good spirit development and the Attack Up spell.

Lennus II274 Lennus II275 Lennus II276

Someone wants to be the new Midia.

Lennus II277 Lennus II278

Lelun is the group attack version of Lelan. Momrick is the Freeze spell of the game. Her speed is her best attribute so odds are reasonable that she would be able to cast Momrick before the enemies attack, which is the best possible time for that.

Lennus II279 Lennus II280 Lennus II281

And now for our fifth and final option.

Lennus II282 Lennus II283

Kekun is the group version of Kekan.

So, there you have it. We have five options and three slots to fill. Any party combination can be made to work, so feel free to vote however you wish. Just make sure that you vote for three characters and list them in order of priority so that I can tally up all the votes and determine who gets to get in.

Next time on Lennus II, the hope that we may yet be monetized. See you then!

10 Likes

Joad, Yuma, and Zock

Episode 2: Gwanji, where art thou?

Lennus II284 Lennus II285 Lennus II286

And so we have chosen our three warriors to help us on our quest to gather the four treasures. We could come back here later on to swap in the other two, but that would require level grinding to get them up to speed and I don’t want to do that.

Lennus II289 Lennus II291

Upon taking the elevator to the first floor this man rushes from the left and drags us back with him so we may learn about the Spirit Powers from the Spirit Mongers.

Lennus II295 Lennus II296

Here we will learn all about how magic works in Lennus II; elemental weaknesses are very big in this game, every enemy has them and you will need to target them or die. Furthermore, you don’t level up your spirits by casting spells, but rather by killing enemies who drop the appropriate spirits in battle, but this only works if you are equipped with the same spirit. This does free you up to act however you want in battle while still developing your magic, so that’s pretty nice.

Lennus II301 Lennus II304

He goes on to explain that right now we can only equip one spirit at a time, but if we can get a fourth spirit, we’ll be able to equip two. From this we can derive that getting six spirits will let us equip three and all eight will let us equip four.

Lennus II307 Lennus II308

He explains that this and an item called a Spirit Orb are the only ways for us to change which spirits we have equipped. We can ask him for a more detailed explanation of how to use the spirit exchange, but its honestly pretty self explanatory.

Lennus II321 Lennus II324 Lennus II328 Lennus II331 Lennus II333

This guy doesn’t really give us much new info, though we learn the names of the spirits for this game so that’s pretty nice. Note that the spirit names in Paladin’s Quest were accurately translated there, so this is a change between games and not a correction.

Lennus II335 Lennus II336

This guy, who has been given a very wacky accent, explains some stuff about spell names; any spell that ends in the letter “N” is an attack spell, “AN” means its single target, “UN” is group-targeting, and “ON” will hit all enemies. Furthermore, when we are on the spells menu we can press and hold L to see what the spells do and R to see the HP costs.

Lennus II357

Having spoken with everyone I go to the Spirit Exchange and I choose Light for my spirit. This will be essential to clearing the first dungeon without grinding.

When we leave the first guy will stop us to repeat what he’d said before, much like how the guards repeated themselves on making sure we equip our equipment, only longer. But if we talk to him again, he does say something new.

Lennus II360 Lennus II361

He just basically gushes about how long he and everyone have been waiting for Farus and what a momentous day today is.

Lennus II372 Lennus II373

This woman here can refill our medicine bottles for free, which we will take advantage of to save as much money as possible.

Lennus II378 Lennus II379

And she will restore all our HP for free. That’s some good home cooking right there.

Lennus II382

We answer yes and we get a whole long thing of him processing that he really is talking to the young Raigan and him asking us to autograph his shirt for him. We do and he leaves very very happy. Near as far as I can tell there’s nothing to be gained from doing this, but I like to do it anyway.

Lennus II400

And now we enter the world map, and with the world map comes the world map theme.

Unlike the adventurous Naskuot theme or the oppressive Saskuot theme, Andel is a somber world.

Lennus II401

Our next destination is the town down there. Unlike Paladin’s Quest, there will be no treasure chests scattered on the overworld map. That was a nice touch that will be missed.

Lennus II404

Upon entering town this kid rushes down to question us. We are also greeted by the town theme.

Its very very cheery.

Lennus II407 Lennus II410

The kid runs through town to tell everyone the good news and everyone starts coming out of their homes.

Lennus II413 Lennus II415

The camera pans down to this old man who says the town’s modest amenities are at our disposal.

Lennus II417

We are then warped to the welcoming party, complete with a chill welcome party theme.

Lennus II418 Lennus II419

#RelatableContent

Lennus II421 Lennus II423

Sorry kiddo, no hero ever awoke from their slumber after 10010 years. Its just not done.

Lennus II425 Lennus II426 Lennus II427

I’ll see what we can do for you.

Lennus II428 Lennus II429

This guy will tell us about the Al Rouge cave to the south that holds the Red Sleep.

Lennus II436 Lennus II437 Lennus II438

Probably! I mean, it wouldn’t be a game worth doing an LP of if the Great Union weren’t exciting!

Lennus II439

We will be doing that.

Lennus II440 Lennus II441 Lennus II443 Lennus II444 Lennus II445

Looks like not all is well. Well, I’m sure we’ll make the world a better place in the end and it will all be worth it.

Lennus II447 Lennus II450

He goes on to explain that Gwanji is a big bird that carries people between the continents and we should talk to Ben the Eagle for more information.

Lennus II458 Lennus II460

We answer yes to both questions so we can leave and explore the rest of the town.

Lennus II466

Thanks for the offer but we’ve already rested. Plus we haven’t even had our first fight yet anyway.

Lennus II467

We now step back into town and are free to explore it. With the graphics being bigger and more detailed than before, the towns feel much bigger than before as well.

Lennus II470 Lennus II471 Lennus II472 Lennus II473

Talking to her will give us a little preview of Du Terran.

Lennus II476

That question says so much.

Lennus II477 Lennus II478

As I stand outside the Spirit Exchange building, I finally remember to use the Light Card that I’d picked up before. Nice thing about this game, selecting items in your inventory will give you information on what they do. No need to dig through vague manuals or guides!

Lennus II479

And naturally we use it on Farus to give him a head start.

Lennus II480

We set foot in the spirit exchange.

Lennus II481

This guy reminds us that we can always use L if we are not sure what spells do. I would show this off, except I can’t hold down L and take screenshots at the same time.

Lennus II484 Lennus II485 Lennus II486 Lennus II487 Lennus II488

Talking to this guy gives you such important advice that will help you so much. I really appreciate the game having someone spell this stuff out for you instead of just forcing you to stumble about blindly until you chance upon what spells actually work. Now we have an idea!

That said we’ve already gotten our spirits set so we move on to the tool shop.

Lennus II490

That’s just common sense.

Lennus II491 Lennus II492

And here we see what will be for sale at every tool shop. I won’t be buying any of this for right now, but I may have cause to pick up some Spirit Orbs down the line.

Lennus II493

Medicine is sold separately.

Lennus II496

You bet I do!

Lennus II497 Lennus II498

That’s a big, big change from Paladin’s Quest. We can now change and upgrade our mercenaries equipment, and when the time comes to dismiss them we can automatically strip all their equipment and sell it off. To be frank, I like to recruit everyone and sell off the equipment of the characters I don’t plan to use.

Lennus II500 Lennus II501

And here we have the weapon shop, where we can see exactly what our new equipment offers in terms of attack value. Sadly, special properties of weapons will not be shown unless we examine them in our inventory. For example, the Little Slasher is a wapon that targets an entire group of enemies. All that said, I will not be buying any weapons right now.

Lennus II502 Lennus II503

Over in the armor shop, this guy has some common sense advice.

Lennus II505 Lennus II506

And here we have the armor shop. I will not be buying anything here either; truth be told, I am going to be saving my money up as much as possible in order to purchase some very expensive but very powerful weapons.

Lennus II508 Lennus II509

I want to see it too, don’t you worry about that.

Lennus II512

This line feels straight out of Dragon Quest.

Lennus II516 Lennus II517 Lennus II518

Hey, I signed his shirt and sent him on his way, its not my fault he hasn’t gotten back yet.

Lennus II519

Time for the hero fee.

Lennus II520 Lennus II521

I’d say that’s two birds with one stone, but that seems tacky.

Lennus II522

We set foot in the bar and listen to the bar theme.

They need to hire the piano man from the first game.

Lennus II525 Lennus II529

The dangers of basing your town’s economy on a single giant bird. Though I’m sure this guy would be drinking during the day anyway.

Lennus II531 Lennus II533

No, I think we get the picture now.

Lennus II534 Lennus II535

There is a stairway that you can just barely make out behind the strange foliage in town. Fun fact, I missed this stairway on my first playthrough, which made this next part of the game a little harder.

Lennus II537 Lennus II539

We get two treasures in this place, including our second Mini Bottle.

Lennus II538 Lennus II540

We promptly equip these.

Lennus II545 Lennus II546

This is Ben the Eagle’s house, and this is Ben the Eagle’s wife. She tells us about Doughren and how it implants its larva inside the Gwanji eggs and asks that we kill the foul monster so that we can get Gwanji back. We even know about our first boss already; isn’t Lennus II nice like that?

Lennus II553

Up there we can see a unique sprite that looks fitting for a man named Ben the Eagle.

Lennus II555 Lennus II558 Lennus II559

And that’s because it is. He is having a real rough time of it without Gwanji.

That concludes our business in Gwandell. Next time, I will be heading to the Al Rouge cave and taking on the challenges therein. I hope you’re excited, because I sure am.

4 Likes

Episode 3: Watch out, its raining Gwanji Eggs.

Lennus II560

On our way to the Al Rouge cave, we have our first battle of the game! Each battle opens with a shot of our heroes ready to face off against the monsters that are all over the place. We are also introduced to our battle music.

It doesn’t go as hard as the battle theme of the previous game, but it works pretty well here. It captures the ebb and flow of a hard fought battle.

Lennus II561

In any event, these weird flying things are Baby Jumpers and we’re going to try out a variety of attacks on them.

Lennus II564

You may notice over to the left that there are bars, one labeled party and the other labeled enemy. Every time someone attacks, those bars will rise to indicate the relative level of attack and defense power involved. Joad’s rod attack is significantly higher than the Baby Jumper’s defense, so he does some good damage to it. We also see over on the right that character’s spirits, which will get little dots if that character is using a spell involving those spirits.

Lennus II565

When a monster dies it goes up in a little cloud and drops a spirit. For Baby Jumper, that means an Air Spirit. While I didn’t use it here, the Baby Jumper’s weakness is fire, so Suzan or Suzun would be the way to go.

Lennus II570 Lennus II571

After battle, we get our rewards, but unfortunately despite the Air Spirits being dropped, Zock is unable to level up his Air Spirit. I do not know how the game calculates these things, but it seems like something that might be affected by level, wisdom, and what specific monster it is. Later on in the game we can expect our spirits to go up by 2 or 3 after a battle, but that’s a long way’s off.

Lennus II572

Now we enter the Al Rouge cave and hear our first dungeon music.

A bit spoopy, but as hostile as I might like.

Lennus II573

In a wonderful display of beginner’s dungeon design, we are given a Flight Door right away, allowing us to escape from the dungeon if we are in dire straights.

Lennus II574 Lennus II575

And so we get our first enemies of the dungeon, the Fusenka and the Kone Dragons. The Fusenka works just like the Balloon enemies in the original, inflating themselves to explode on you for massive damage. The Kone dragons by contrast are regular attackers.

Lennus II579

They are weak to lightning and drop Fire spirits upon death.

Lennus II580

Yuma’s Kekun spell is enough even at the start to one shot the Kone Dragons, so that’s really nice.

Lennus II581

Zock uses Suzan and does a lot of damage, but its not enough to defeat the Fusenka. Two of them have already achieved the first stage of their death cycle, so we should do something about that.

Lennus II585 Lennus II586

Because of our low levels Momrick is only able to target a single monster rather than a group, but even at this starting stage it is able to reliably keep a monster from doing anything for the rest of the battle, and seeing as this monster was on the verge of exploding, this was a very good thing.

Lennus II588

The Fusenkas drop Fire and Light Spirits, which means that between them and the Kone Dragons, everyone stands a chance to gain spirits from this encounter.

Lennus II589

In the end the third Fusenka explodes and does over seventy damage to Farus and Joad.

Lennus II590 Lennus II591 Lennus II592 Lennus II593

But its all okay, because not only did we win, but we also got level ups and several spirits. A good fight all around.

Lennus II595

We use the Health option after that fight to heal ourselves, and everyone is brought to full except for Yuma. The game determined that she hadn’t lost enough health to justify a Mini Bottle dose and so she goes without. As I said before, the game is very smart about this sort of thing.

Lennus II596 Lennus II597

Heading down the stairs we get a Home Door, which when paired with our Flight Door means we can return to town from any point in the dungeon. That’s really nice.

Lennus II598

Here we encounter the Kedama Mush. Physical attacks can cause them to split, but being plant monsters they are vulnerable to fire.

Lennus II599 Lennus II600

The Kedama Mushes drop Light Spirits, and accordingly can do single target or group targeting electricity attacks. I can’t help but feel that if there had been a Lennus III, some sort of formation function for your party could be implemented so that depending on the particular area of effect of an enemy attack, some of your characters might not get caught up in it.

Lennus II602

Momrick also works on these guys.

Lennus II605 Lennus II606

A level for Farus, and more spirits. I remember back when I was first playing this game I swore I read somewhere that the particular spirits you have equipped affect your stat growth, but I can’t for the life of me find where I saw that and in any event I do not know what impact what spirits would have. What I do know is that late game stat growth gets really good.

Lennus II607 Lennus II608

We find a very big egg in our way and upon touching it, it cracks open.

Lennus II609

We now have a miniboss fight complete with miniboss theme music!

That said, the Tainted Clutch is only a miniboss in the sense that it is not a random encounter. While they do have a lot of HP, their attack power is not anything remarkable.

Lennus II610

Sometimes they retreat into their egg to charge up a bigger attack, but as long as you have everyone cast Kekan, he should die before that becomes an issue.

Lennus II612

And upon death they drop a Gold spirit.

Lennus II614 Lennus II615

This was a very good fight for Yuma.

Lennus II616 Lennus II617

The egg now gone, we are able to get the Mini Bottle, a good reward and it teaches us about fighting slightly stronger enemies, and it gives us a hint to what kind of attacks will work best on the Doughren. I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again; this game has some really good design.

Lennus II618

Checking the Mini Bottle reveals that it heals 800 HP instead of 300 HP, which makes sense considering the much higher HP growth in this game. Paladin’s Quest scaled much more like a Dragon Quest, while Lennus II scales more like a Final Fantasy.

Lennus II620

New enemy, the Dancing Birds.

Lennus II625 Lennus II626

Set the Dancing Birds on fire. That does the trick.

Lennus II629

More good spirit growth.

Lennus II630

Another new enemy, the Armored Naga. While they are more vulnerable to Lightning attacks, its not as stark as with other enemies.

Lennus II631

So until Yuma’s stats get a little better, I have her use Momrick to keep the Armored Nagas in check.

Lennus II636

Once I have both of them frozen in place I start having her use Kekun, and that 54 damage is just not going to cut it.

Lennus II638

They drop Gold and Wind spirits.

Lennus II640 Lennus II641 Lennus II642

We are gaining levels and spirits at a very good pace.

Lennus II644

I encounter another Tainted Clutch, this time a mandatory one, and since Zock’s attack options do next to no damage to it, I decide to have him use Speed Up so that the others can go a little quicker and kill this guy faster.

Lennus II646 Lennus II647

Fights in this game feel very snappy and satisfying. Going through the interface is really fast and the animations and sound effects are all solid.

Lennus II648 Lennus II649

I have no idea how anyone could be expected to get to this point solo. Unlike Paladin’s Quest, there is no way you’re going to get through this without a full party at all points in the game. The Anti Bottle heals poison and paralysis. Not that I can think of any enemies in this dungeon that use either of those status effects.

Lennus II652 Lennus II653

Yuma’s magic is going to get really strong with that wisdom growth.

Lennus II654 Lennus II655

Random encounters are shut off in this room on account of all the giant tainted eggs that are being dropped down on us. Fortunately, they drop down in regular patterns so if you take a little time to observe you can completely avoid all fighting in this room.

There is also a constant rumbling sound that only stops when you go into a fight, so its a bit of a tradeoff.

Lennus II656

This goes onto Zock, since he doesn’t have Kekun and so needs a way to do good damage against the boss.

Lennus II658 Lennus II659

The light shield slows Farus down a little, but the defense gain is more than worth it, especially with a boss fight in the near future.

Lennus II662 Lennus II663

After climbing up to the next level, Farus gainst a level.

Lennus II665 Lennus II666

And then so does Zock. Magic is not going to be his strong suit.

Lennus II667

Here we find our fourth Mini Bottle and equip it to Zock so now everyone can heal.

Lennus II668

Our first pre-emptive strike. Unlike Paladin’s Quest, the enemies are not white outs and we can see who we’ve gotten the drop on.

Lennus II671

Upon rising to the second floor once again, the music cuts out and we hear a sound like a heart beat. There are no random encounters here.

Lennus II672

We give ourselves a full restore.

Lennus II674

And there’s the Doughren, along with the Gwanji egg and the Red Sleep. Everything we need in one room.

Lennus II675

We walk up to it to trigger the boss fight, and so we get our boss fight theme.

My strategy here is simple; Farus, Joad, and Yuma will all use Kekan while Zock buffs everyone up with Speed Up.

Lennus II676

Joad does good damage.

Lennus II677

Doughren retaliates by launching an air based attack that rips up the ground at our feet and deals around 100 damage to everyone.

Lennus II680

He can also lunge at individual targets for more damage.

Lennus II681

Upon getting everyone’s speed up, I have Joad cast Attack Up on Zock.

Lennus II685 Lennus II682

Finally, once his health gets low enough, he starts healing himself by eating the tainted eggs. While this does keep him from attacking us, it does mean that unless we can consistently do over 300 damage a turn, this fight will never end.

Lennus II683

Fortunately, everyone else does around 100 with Kekan and thanks to having a dagger and Attack Up, we are just able to push over that 300 damage limit. I usually like to stop and grind up a level here to make sure I can do enough damage. But this time?

Lennus II687

That grinding was unnecessary. And its usually the only grinding I end up doing the entire game.

Lennus II688 Lennus II689

Bosses have a very high chance of dropping their items after battle. Helps minimize save scumming.

Lennus II690 Lennus II691 Lennus II692

A few levels and spirits later, we return to the main screen.

Lennus II698

For some reason this seems out of order. But its in our inventory so all’s well that ends well.

Lennus II699

The egg also follows us around, but it is not present in battle so we don’t have to worry about it getting broken.

We go to grab the Red Sleep…

Lennus II703 Lennus II705 Lennus II707 Lennus II709

Hmm, a mysterious face tries to warn us not to do it.

Lennus II710 Lennus II711

We could just leave it here.

Lennus II712 Lennus II714

But there wouldn’t be a rest of the game if we did.

Lennus II715 Lennus II716

And here we have the descriptions of the Gwanji Egg and the Red Sleep in our inventory.

Lennus II717

Me being me, rather than just use our Flight and Home Doors, I will walk out of the dungeon and gain more experience that way. Anything to avoid running around in circles.

Lennus II719 Lennus II720

On our way back Yuma gains a level.

Lennus II721

And then we get this bullshit where the eggs roll up the opposite way from how they did before and I get hit by one and I’m forced into a fight. Rude.

Lennus II723

After that incident I avoid any further egg incidents.

Lennus II724 Lennus II727 Lennus II732

Some more levels on our way out.

Lennus II734 Lennus II735

After leaving the dungeon I saved and quit, and when I got back on I decided to show this little feature. If you are stuck and you are completely without recourse, you can choose the help option. I never do this, but I appreciate that Asmik is looking out for the player.

Lennus II736

On our way back we encounter the other overworld enemy of the Al Terran continent, the Pilopin. They are reptiles, we can zap them and get fire spirits.

Lennus II740 Lennus II741 Lennus II742 Lennus II743 Lennus II744 Lennus II745

But rather than go straight back to Gwandell I instead go to my temple to refill my medicine and get healed for free.

That’s one treasure down, three to go. Next time we’ll be visiting the Du Terran Continent and finding out what ordeals are in store for us there.

5 Likes