Let's just talk about Star Wars forever (Part 1)

My feelings about Rogue One have considerably improved now that they’ve finished more effects scenes with X-Wings. The weird wheel spoke space stations evoke Rogue Squadron trick maneuvers.

1 Like

this is the first star wars I’m excited to see cause it has ben mendelsohn. also the main gal has a weird vacant empty look in her eyes in every picture I’ve seen of the movie, which is also compelling.

Seeing a star destroyer flying in-atmosphere just looks so wrong.

I saw this this evening and it was pretty good and grim in parts. Could have done without any cameos, let alone the horrid CGI ones. The pacing gets into an odd rush in parts. More later maybe.

Didn’t expect to find a lot I’d enjoy in Rogue One as I really didn’t care for TFA, but underestimated a prequel-side-story would come off that much more inspired and refreshing. Expanding facets of a universe > reframing its tropes yet again*.

I’m taking the way the projector at my showing kept cutting out for 30-45 as a just but compound punishment for my decision to see a Gareth Edwards movie in 3D (so dark!).

So anyway what happened to Vader this and A New Hope ? Gosh. Must’ve really pulled a muscle or something in that corridor at the end.

IT WAS ME

!!!

This old documentary segment about how they did the composite shots for RotJ is incredible. Each ship is an individual roll of film that is then traced into a cel. The artist then overlays the cells to get a rough draft of the movement.

I liked this movie a lot! In the end it was the Rogue Squadron movie after all. And a Halo Reach movie.

If you prefer the non-Jedi parts of Star Wars and whined that, like, Poe Dameron was the best part of TFA and he was hardly in it I recommend it.

The movie should end about five minutes earlier.

2 Likes

Man those final ten are great. It has probably my favorite space battle of the series. Even if that structure is straight out of TFA where it was awkward to begin with.

I want to watch it again which is not a feeling I had with the last 4 star wars movies. My second favorite Gareth Edwards movie???

“Rogue Squadron movie”

Fuck man, I don’t want to want to see this.

Will likely either get dragged by family on Christmas eve or grab it when The Movie Guy comes around my part of the hood anyways, though, so it sounds like I’m in for a treat then!

did vader build a death temple to live in on the volcano planet he was maimed by his best bud at

According to the companion art book, Palpatine makes him live there. The new canon Vader is in a weird total power exchange relationship with Palpy.

The idea of a Vader castle was kicked around in the preproduction for ESB

The design in Rogue One is based on concept art for TFA.

1 Like

That’s about on par with his one-liner in the movie tbh

Liked it overall. Forest Whitaker was terrible and CG-Cushing was horrifying. My one major complaint is how often people referred to the force. We’re a far cry from Han flippantly referring to it as a hokey religion and Luke being ignorant of the concept. Now it feels like it was retconned into being the Republic state-religion. Still mad that Kyle Katarn was erased from history for this.

2 Likes

I printed out a picture of Kyle Katarn and put it in my toilet this morning.

1 Like

Liked the movie a lot. Better than TFA. Donnie Yen!

It’s really bizarre to think that the Jedi were a weaponized galactic special forces, then exterminated, then a fascist empire seized control of the entire galaxy, then a rebellion overthrew it and refounded a republic in which the Force and the Jedi and the heroes that made the rebellion possible became myth in what, like, 60 years? I guess that could be a really insightful statement on the malleability of history in modernity except that it isn’t.

I’m pissing on my Kyle Katarn toilet picture right… now.

2 Likes

They’ve taken out a scene or two out of the other movies but man this was a pretty extensive reshoot/re-edit!