Let's just talk about Star Wars forever (Part 1)

I want a lower deck episode about the low ranking imperial science officer tasked with copying the holocrons onto magnetic tape.

1 Like
4 Likes

The robots at the Emperor Palpatine Surgical Reconstruction Center were all designed by men.

1 Like

not sure why but i detest when nerds laugh at their own jokes like they need a laugh track but they are all alone. o hated it in car talk and i hate when rlm does it. And for not liking this for not standing on its own these lunk heads sure jizz about Marvel, where every movie exists only to set up the next Marvel movie.

dang i just want to stab those overly talkative motherfucvkers. btw- the video should have been seven minutes tops.

Eh. I often don’t agree with RLM. Actually, I guess I mostly disagree with them when they like something, unless it turns out to be Fury Road. But I think they’re good stand-ins for middle-brow, man-child nerd opinions, and that’s apparently a perspective I’m interested in.

Though I guess Star Wars is actually an exception to that. I keep checking their opinions after checking out a Star Wars thing, and I find them to be pretty much dead-on. I guess it’s because they’re really familiar with the material and because Star Wars never aspires to anything greater than the narrow band of basic screenwriting tropes that these dudes know how to discuss.

My biggest complaint about RLM before Half in the Bag (when Jay had done the prequel and Avatar reviews) was that 20-something nerds would talk about those reviews like they were PhD-level analyses, when they were just–y’know–someone thoroughly applying Screenplaywriting 101 and some research on each film. I like RLM for what it is, but can totally understand someone having no use for it or being annoyed by the truly awful humor in the Plinkett reviews.

That said, the things they complain about being “wrong” with a movie I usually agree with. It’s only when they say some aspect of a movie is “fine” or “good enough” or was “fun” that I’m like, “Nah. This is just genre garbage to me.” So yeah: I’m never gonna agree with anyone saying they should complain less. Basically, my biggest critical gripe is that they don’t complain more.

Already writing a fanfiction in which a frustrated Coruscantian drops his wife off to be treated for hysteria.

thought this was pretty amusing

The RLM guys looks like idiots that don+t know what they are talking about and, frankly, I don’t have the patience to sit through the entirely of one of their videos to see if I’m right or just happened in the segments I saw

This article is beyond dumb.
Why are they conflating physical formats with data formats?

A modern computer from today has no trouble reading SSDs, platter HDDs, blu-rays, DVDs, CDs, SD cards and usb flash drives, but somehow the empire using tapes for high density data storage is ludicrous?

Also why they assume the death star plans take up the entire tape? In the movie it was fairly clear they were trying to locate the tape where the plans were stored, through some sort of database with metadata tags. At no point was it said that the tape contained exclusively the plans.

And the reasons for needing the data beamed up from the comms facility they already had on the base was explained pretty clearly?

The point about the data being unencrypted is a bit more cogent, you can chalk that up to adventure movie pacing, but the rest looks like pretty ignorant complaints

They’re not complaints?

The author says they are poorly designed. They are not. Assumes there are interoperability problems, of which there is no in-fiction evidence of being true.

They also say that the only rational explanation for things being as they are is the one they postulate, which is based on flawed asumptions to begin with.

I ran this by my archivist friend.

(1/10/2017 7:06:19 AM) c(h)aboose: I read the article
(7:06:29 AM) c(h)aboose: clearly that person has never seen how clunky archives are
(7:07:37 AM) c(h)aboose: or maybe that data format is the most stable and uncompressed for long term storage
(10:20:16 AM) c(h)aboose: ALSO clearly that person has never worked for the government
(10:25:10 AM) me: the government loves tape drives
(10:25:55 AM) c(h)aboose: I think it’s the most stable uncompressed data format
(10:26:24 AM) c(h)aboose: Like you can have a jpg but we store files as massive .dng
(10:27:19 AM) me: hmm
(10:27:43 AM) c(h)aboose: and you would need something that wouldnt deteriorate
(10:27:57 AM) c(h)aboose: like you have digital files and you have cds and cassettes
(10:28:06 AM) c(h)aboose: but the best format for long term preservation
(10:28:09 AM) c(h)aboose: is vinyl
(10:28:50 AM) me: so your theory is that spacetape is the empire’s tuffest format?
(10:28:57 AM) c(h)aboose: yes
(10:29:05 AM) c(h)aboose: like you can have music on a thumb drive
(10:29:20 AM) c(h)aboose: but i woulsnt want an archive full of thumb drives
(10:29:36 AM) c(h)aboose: the files are compressed and also an unstable medium
(10:29:48 AM) c(h)aboose: evem though they are a smaller and more efficient format
(10:29:58 AM) c(h)aboose: the guy writing the article doesnt know anything!!!
(10:30:28 AM) c(h)aboose: he is just like “oh technology blah lbah” but not htinking about forever preservation
(10:31:06 AM) c(h)aboose: you need the stupid satellite because you cant send giant uncompressed files like over the equivelant of gchat or dropbox
(10:31:22 AM) c(h)aboose: you need a hyperfast network drive
(10:31:26 AM) c(h)aboose: ANYWAYS

!!!

3 Likes

Train Girl once again proves her utter worthiness

In archives, files are generally stored both in giant uncompressed, lossless, or stable “master” formats, or convenient compressed “access” or “service” formats. If I were robbing an archive, I’d wager the latter would be the more portable and less secure. Like I wouldn’t sneak into my work with a thumb drive and start dragging and dropping 4:4:4 JPEG2000 mp4s. I’d grab the H264 versions and get out of there.

Yeah, I read that article as an interpretation of the design of the archives in-world, not as an attempt to say the filmmakers themselves were bad for making it look that way. If it reflects redundancy and incompetence in actual archive-making, then it just means the movie is accurate and good?

edit: Also, Shrug’s friend overlooks the fact that in Episode II there is clearly a very different and more efficient system used for the Republic’s archives, which shows that in the SW galaxy tape drives are not necessarily the preferred format for archival storage.

I reread the article, and realized I actually disagree with her original conclusion, which is that the Empire’s archive is another act of sabotage. In fact I think the empire uses tape drives because, in spite of the death star outclassing everything that came before it, they are not a particularly technologically advanced regime. I have lots of dumb reasons for this but it is one of the only ways to make sense of the huge gap between things you see in the prequels vs. the original trilogy. Basically, even though the empire is brutally expansionist and ruthless, they don’t actually have access to all the weird old hyper-advanced stuff from the days of the republic, and are kind of slapping things together on the fly, hence the bleak industrial designs on everything

I think the EU canon established that TIE fighters had no shields because the empire was all about cutting corners at every turn when it came to defense funding, so you’re pretty spot on.

2 Likes

gross jedi archival decadence imo

2 Likes

I feel like this was established in the X-Wing games. You’d never know it from the movies, where every fighter blows up in like 2 or 3 shots.