Let's Get Physical (game collections)

Having just purchased a copy of Grabbed by the Ghoulies for some Halloween goofing, I’m reflecting on my small, odd, and not very representational collection of cartridges and discs.

GameCollection2

Do you still collect these artefacts? Have you been forced to part with some? Have precious favourites? How much would you say your collection represents your taste? Be as self-indulgent as you like. I’m about to be:

2017 was a real low point for me financially. I had to sell my TV, my American P-Bass, amps and almost all my games just to scrape by that summer. Gitaroo Man was probably the most valuable one and the biggest regret. Or was it Final Fantasy VI? Or Chrono Trigger? Ugh. I kept my original copy of Super Mario 64 because it’s my favourite and Earthbound because even though it was worth a good chunk of $$$ it’s just too precious (I bought that copy on eBay in high school, I would never marker a game like that, certainly not on the front). Mario Paint (which the owner of the last studio I worked for lent me and I’ve not returned) was also spared because it wasn’t worth much (even with the mouse which I have) and hey, it’s Mario fuckin’ Paint. Without a SNES right now, I’ve never played this particular cartridge. Kinda interested to see what he has on there…

Soon after the purge, at the last house I lived at (8 people, don’t miss it) one of the departing roommates was rummaging through their stuff and pulled out an N64 in one of those big, unwieldy plastic boxes with the pull-out storage bin (I had the same monstrosity as a kid) and I sensed an opportunity. They seemed doubtful about ever using it/going to the effort of selling it. Peeking round the hallway I exclaimed, “N64! Niiiiiice. What games ya got there?” Having clearly established my excitement, they asked if I wanted it. Yes, duh, thank you. It came with Diddy Kong Racing (love it), Goldeneye (love it) and Donkey Kong 64 (groan (the N64 is Jungle Green)).

Sin & Punishment: Star Successor was a game I sold off but purchased another copy of in 2018 because I love it so much. Soon after, I was killing time at a GameStop and Elebits was $1.99 so what the heck why not (the Wii was the only console I had aside from the N64 for a while (it’s packed with Virtual Console games from my pre-emulation days (Rondo of Blood!). I’ve played about 15 minutes of Elebits. I’ll give it another shot sometime.

In 2019, for my birthday, a friend gave me WCW/nWo Revenge (yessss!), Banjo-Tooie (ok, whatever), Ridge Racer 64 (fine, not the best RR by any stretch), Madden 2001 (haven’t touched it) and Ken Griffey Jr.'s Slugfest (haven’t touched it).

The 360 games were purchased specifically for a long night with friends called “Trashterpiece Theatre”. Disappointingly, Blood on the Sand is a pretty boring, formulaic cover shooter. Stranglehold owns though, despite its wildly uneven level designs/challenges. And we all know Mr. Kane and Mr. Lynch (this is my second copy after the 2017 purge).

Oh and finally, I picked up Dragon Ball (1988) for the Famicom during my 2018 trip to Japan. I set aside a little money just for pre-Z Dragon Ball stuff, the older the better, because I love pre-Z Dragon Ball stuff.

It’s not my plan to start building another collection anytime soon. Emulation meets most of my needs, but it’s a case-by-case basis. My next acquisition will be Demon’s Souls after I convince my parents they don’t need the (backwards compatible!) PS3 that my bother and I convinced them would be better than a conventional Blu-ray player years ago.

19 Likes

i have wayyyyyy too many games. could take pictures. does anyone want to buy some games lol

6 Likes

Thinking back even further, I can’t remember what happened to my Genesis or Game Boy. Would be really cool to have those now. I have a feeling they were pawned off towards N64/PSX which probably pissed off my Dad because the Genesis was the first (and last) video game thing he ever bought for us and we were on to the next thing maybe less than a year later.

You can’t see half of it but here are my drawers of doom

17 Likes

Very intrigued by “Star Fox Video!”

1 Like
8 Likes

seriously though does anyone want to buy some games

sb discounts baby

2 Likes

Turok: Evolution for Gamecube, that’s gotta be the real steal

2 Likes

(scanning the stack for Gunvalkyrie…)

Pinching my pennies once again lately but gonna return to these images and keep it in mind.

My game collection is a tiny collection of NES games, that I usually have in storage.
Everything else I sell, trade, or give away.
The tiny collection of NES games always stays.

2 Likes

I got that laser line storage

18 Likes

I have put so much time/money into collecting, maintaining, planning, organizing a physical games collection my whole life, it’s really not something I picture myself doing as I get older. It was fun when more games were cheap and common at flea markets but now like setting up a bunch of eBay search alerts is not really a good time.

My goal someday is to get rid of almost all my games and keep only a DadShelf—that handful of DVDs your dad has, and he never seems to add anything else to it, or even watch them.

The question is which game console to keep, because it’s very un-dadlike to keep multiple games machines. I can’t stand playing old systems on an LCD, unless upscaler technology improves/cheapens a lot, and it’s also pretty un-dadlike to store and maintain a CRT*, so I’d have to go with the Xbox 360.

I’m actually halfway through this plan—my perfect shelf is already complete:

I just have to do the hard part, which is getting rid of all my other games.

*unless you make it your DadHobby to have a bunch of shit in your garage like a supergun setup

15 Likes

Posting this pristine collection now before the switch and several games i just ordered show up

23 Likes

Too many games crew checking in. Games and systems sort of pop out of every nook and cranny of my house.

19 Likes

Noobow! What’s that one in the bottom left corner?

2 Likes

Aquanaut’s Holiday

3 Likes

moves too often crew
-the wii game w no spine title is sin and punishment 2, cover reversed. bought this in 2011 so this and my childhood copy of blinx the time sweeper have been w me the longest
-the ps3 and switch stuff has largely accumulated since i moved to my current place, i’ll prob get rid of most of it when i next move
-i cant find my gunstar super heroes cart!!! fuck

the wii stuff has been with me through… 5? moves in the last 4 yrs i think. thats the only stuff i’ve really tried to keep. everything else i cyclically give away. i wish i’d kept all my other wii games tho i dont even have a wii/u anymore lol

15 Likes

Same. Moves To Often Crew. Next year I wanna get an OG XBox for Gunvalkyrie, Orta and yes, Blinx.

Really just for Gunvalkyrie as it’s not backwards compatible T_T

3 Likes

i have too many games and no organization yet, but i just want to say i love having physical games, even if I got robbed a lot

3 Likes

14 Likes