LEGEND OF THE TOWERFUCKER

2 Likes

i just wrote rudimentary flocking behavior into rpg maker just to generate pretty patterns for birds to fly in. i am so bad at finishing games :confused:

7 Likes

buddy, they wonā€™t even let me fuck it

6 Likes

wheeeeeeeee

ā€œokay, maybe this will fix the camera movementā€“ā€

ā€œā€¦ohā€

4 Likes

i think the majority of the maps for the first half of the game are done at this point. iā€™m thinking iā€™ll try to make that first half feature complete, learn what i can from that, and design the second half around what i learn from it (since my ideas for that are much hazier and i want to make sure my ideas work before i design too far ahead of them).

the combo of the battle system i want to use still being under active development and getting up for school around 7 or 8 every weekday and coming home at 6 PM at the earliest means this has pretty much been a weekend project and even though this takes up most of my free time progress has been slow

doing my best not to get discouraged

4 Likes

one of my favorite gags in barkley: shut up and jam was the side road in the post-apocalyptic city that led directly to a crystal mine full of fantasy creatures with no explanation or visual transition, and here i am struggling not to obsess over visually consistent stairways and billions of other tiny details that mostly just get in the way of me actually Making a Thing. iā€™m perpetually unsatisfied with my own ideas so all this technical polish is starting to feel like spending hours adjusting fonts and page sizes in a word doc as a way to put off actually writing something.

i have to get up in six hours but iā€™ve been staying up trying to think of something thatā€™ll make me feel like my work isnā€™t garbage. i hate my creative process and am infinitely jealous of stuff like cool games inc or drawfeeā€™s worst jrpg series or whatever where folks are talented enough to throw out the dumbest jokiest ideas they can think of and i end up liking them more than anything i came up with on my own. maybe i need to be getting input or bouncing stuff off friends more regularly? that would help but iā€™m also insecure enough to be scared of that? god idk iā€™m a mess, canā€™t wait to implode over the course of a four-day work-week

1 Like

BEWARE!!!

8 Likes

i am still working hard on this but havenā€™t done anything that makes for good screenshot material

i spent the last hour mapping out the possible relationships between the recruitable characters who can talk??

uhh

well anyway i will be a lot more productive once i have a laptop and can actually do stuff other than notes during the week. i mean, iā€™ve solved a decent number of design problems just by scribbling in my journal or daydreaming to music or whatever but man, i really need to be doing stuff, this game is a lot of whatā€™s been keeping me from being the depressive sack of shit i usually am and i want to feel like im making decent progress with it

2 Likes

Circles: they can kiss
Stars: they can kiss a lot

6 Likes

yr post made me realize that i borrowed a bunch of fire emblem and dating sim mechanics but didnā€™t write a single romantic relationship lol

obviously i need to fix this immediately, i donā€™t know how iā€™ll compete in this economy if you canā€™t date a skeleton

4 Likes

okay i shoehorned in a lesbian love triangle, game is ready to ship

4 Likes

8 Likes

the rpg maker community in two screenshots

4 Likes

[You found a box!]

6 Likes

7 Likes

today was maybe the most productive iā€™ve ever been Actual Programming-wise

iā€™m doing all this shit i never could have as a kid and in minutes, iā€™m going into the engineā€™s source code and writing in new functionality, i donā€™t really have a cool screenshot to show off for this stuff but man i feel Powerful

i realize that no one playing this is going to be able to tell built-in features apart from the work iā€™m doing or anything like that but the fact that i donā€™t have to compromise so much with the tools iā€™m using will be reflected in the game regardless

6 Likes

I love towers (especially in films and videogames) and I love fuckery, so this will be great. Good luck!

implemented a whole lot of backend stuff this weekend, including height maps, projectiles, animated parallaxes, fixing obscure bugs cropping up in other peopleā€™s code and adding new functionality, etc. iā€™ve been in a rut with other design problems but iā€™m making an effort not to get discouraged. working on this game gives me a sense of fulfillment that not much else does.

9 Likes

Really diggign these maps. What does ā€˜height mapā€™ mean in an RPG Maker context? Using events to keep track of different levels within the screen?