LASTER MASTER 2: LASTING AGAIN

WHY ARE YOU REMASTERING A GAME THAT CAME OUT IN 2020!?!?:?!?

Who fucking wants this? who the fuck is clamoring for more pixels?? is that all Naughty Dog does now?!?! just remasters of remasters of remasters?? “ah yes, we’re remaking The Last Of Us Part 1 and 2 again, for the PS5 Pro” they’ll say in like 2026. I can’t imagine working there and then having to remake the last of us for the upteenth time.

19 Likes

Since they do this so often, I’m guessing this time it’s closer to the traditional meaning of “remaster”, i.e. they made higher-resolution assets in the first place, knowing they would be used later.

3 Likes

Wasn’t long ago big publishers were making semi-parodic expansions of their pre-existing games and giving them winking, Street Fighter esque titles , seems they’ve realized they didnt need to be joking.

4 Likes

I swear this practice of remastering new games has to be Sony/Naughty Dog’s way of training their new hires on how to do a big project without taking the risk of giving them the responsibility of actually working on a big project. This is the only explanation I can think of that makes sense to me.

I guess they do make the games with the future in mind, thinking about how it could look and run on potential future hardware. But it’s just a bit too intentional it seems like and it’s always Sony published games that they do this with. Like Spider-Man got a remaster so it would run and look slightly better on PS5 and give everyone an opportunity to buy it again.

But you know which Sony game would benefit the most from an actual remaster? The Last Guardian. I’d love to play that game with a stable frame rate. Maybe it already runs better on a PS5. I might need to look into that. But they need to remake games like that.

Edit-You can play Last Guardian at 60fps on a PS5… but only if you play the disc version, unpatched with no updates. Well, that’s better than nothing I suppose.

12 Likes

Turning a big dial that says “Remaster” and looking back at the audience like I’m on The Price is Right

13 Likes

Also this is probably just the norm for big budget games that come out at the end of the console life cycle. Like GTA V came out on PS360 and a year or so later had PS4/Xbone versions announced. They obviously plan for this sort of thing when they know some portion of the user base is going to upgrade right around when their game releases, and double dipping in the digital age is so common and encouraged.

4 Likes

How angry are people that Sony keeps remastering The Last of Us instead of Bloodborne?

I will say that there is one good thing about this LoU2 remaster in that it has some sort of combat focused “roguelike” mode, as they’re advertising it. As much as it became one of the few games I actively hated, before I stopped playing it I replayed a 5 minute combat section over and over for around 2 hours. The combat actually felt really good! Shame about the rest of the game (and now-indefinitely-hiatused multiplayer mode turned GAASified spin-off).

4 Likes

I think it got out there that this is exactly what this was. Teething project for Naughty Dog newbies.

Doesn’t make the whole prospect of it any less ridiculous, though. Like, I kinda understood The Last of Us Remastered (end of generation title that struggled on second-place hardware, kinda makes sense to bring it forward), absurd as that was when it hit PS4. For that to get another remaster, and now this…I dunno!

This would literally be the first example I’ve seen of a major AAA studio doing anything helpful to new hires instead of grinding them all into dust and seeing who survives

6 Likes

the way people talk about these games, i didn’t even know there was combat in them. i assumed they were like big budget interactive movie type things. all i ever hear about them is the stuff that happens in the cutscenes

2 Likes

Yeah, there was more walking and talking and walking forward through environments than combat, which is why it couldn’t really save the game for me. There was just way too much of the previous things that it wasn’t worth trudging through every 30 minutes of monotonous “exploration” setpiece to get to the next 5-minute combat section.

So that new roguelike mode instantly shoots up my interest, depending on what it’s actually like.

1 Like

I assumed it was because Naughty Dog games are hugely expensive and thus super risky, and these big narrative focused games in particular are probably even more risky these days where the kids would rather play Fortnite and other ‘pick up and play / no narrative baggage’ type of things. So ND need to churn out these low-risk remasters to help fund the other stuff.

The roguelike mode kinda adds to that suspicion since that feels like a more trendy sort of thing.

Of course they’re probably also positioning this as a tie in to the second season of the TV show

1 Like

one of these days I’m going to play these games and stop talking shit, if I could ever be arsed to

1 Like

The actual sneak-shooting is pretty good for what it is.

3 Likes

Sometimes I feel like I’m an entirely different species when I read sb talk about what they like in games.

somewhat relatedly, I’ve been thinking about how all these perfect stealth no kill lps of metal gear solid games are disgusting, except as walkthroughs for getting rankings. Not only boring but inconsistent to the characters. As a record of the work: worthless. that’s not even getting into any graphical upscaling going on. maybe I should make lps with what kojima himself calls “beauty play” but I might know the games too well. more “beauty play” is needed

12 Likes

I always feel like this, but to be fair, I think I actually am, and us cannibalistic humanoid underground dwellers need a steady diet of kusoge, eurojank, and modding shitty bethesda games to thrive

12 Likes

destroy the SB hivemind that exists in your head

17 Likes

I think this is all of us friend. And is what unites us.

21 Likes

haha i was gonna say exactly this

4 Likes

That one Wolfenstein game is good