La vie en vert (GAME BOY thread)

I played a few minutes of Saint Paradise
This Saint Seiya RPG seems pretty cute

It’s originally in Japanese and there are currently French, Portuguese, and Spanish fan translations.

9 Likes

:neko: This is exactly the thing I’m looking for. Putting it on the cart now

3 Likes

Playing ZAS on my DMG.

I will post about ZAS.

If anyone is looking for a recommendation;
For the Frog the Bell Tolls is the best Game Boy game of '92.

7 Likes

all i know about zas is holy shit the backgrounds

spoilers to avoid stealing @alyx’s future post’s thunder

1 Like

I love the plotline of the Bell That Tolls for the Frog. What a great shaggy dog story.

Hold on…has it been a pun this whole time? Someone fluent in Japanese, please confirm.

4 Likes

Someone who is more fluent in Japanese than me should weigh in, but I will confirm that it is also definitely a pun on the title of the Hemingway novel in Japanese as well, as the title of For Whom the Bell Tolls in Japanese is Dare ga tame ni kane wa naru. (That may have been obvious, idk)

5 Likes

Different Kanji, what a new duck said. I’ll try and look up Japanese comments later.

Yes confirmed by the creator. But like everything in this game is apparently a parody of something else?

2 Likes

Fantastic! this effectively flips my impression of the title from “This is dumb. I hate this.” to “I can’t think of a better GAME BOY title.”

2 Likes

I like ZAS.

The mechanics are fairly basic. You have two option pods which you can either have close to you for a concentrated shot or spread out. The A button switches between the two formations.

ZAS is one of the most beautiful games on the Game Boy.
It uses the slow screen refresh to mix frames allowing for beautiful backgrounds and weather effects.

Aside from looking amazing, the game also has memorable boss fights.
The stage 3 boss in particular is devilishly fun.

There are bullets being fired on both sides of you creating a sort of road. Enemies are coming out from the boss and shooting at you but if you kill them they fall faster. Kill them at the wrong moment and they block your path killing you via collision.
It’s very frantic. You have to be careful about when to shoot them and when not to, all while also trying to shoot the boss behind them.

The last boss fight has a surprising and potentially frustrating gimmick.

You fight against two monsters that have the ability to resurrect one another so you need to either kill them at the same time or kill the second immediately after the first.

Screenshots don’t do it justice. Stages 1 and 3 look stunning in motion.

7 Likes

Game goes for a Lot for a cart.

1 Like

It sure does.
I’m very okay with having an Aerostar cart and not having a ZAS cart.
Heck, I tend to play Aerostar on my flashcart even though I have the cart. It’s just easier to not have to swap carts.

ZAS has a stage select in the menu.
That’s probably what doomed it to never be released outside Japan.

1 Like

Was gonna link this but the only one is an overpriced 3rd party seller. Think this was at the book store ar the station if someone is interested in a copy.

1 Like

This is really cool. I didn’t know there was a pink GAME BOY pocket.

6 Likes

ZAS is quite the lil brainworm of a game.

There’s a part that has your fight get interrupted because a futuristic train goes by

There’s a boss who throws obstacles at you
but also clears them trying to attack you

There’s a boss who disables your option pods

and while the last fight can be frustrating the game knows it’ll leave an impression
ZAS-end

This is the polar opposite of Solar Striker and yet I can’t really pick one over the other, so I guess ZAS and Solar Striker are a tie for my second and third favorite shooters on the Game Boy.

8 Likes

Uchuu no Kishi Tekkaman Blade is fun.

It’s an action platformer.
It’s a little janky in places. They probably didn’t have a lot of development time.
It’s a licensed game for an anime that came out the same year.

What stands out is verticality.

Up and attack fires a grappling hook straight up.
Once attached to a ceiling you can go up and down with it, and jump off it.
You can also attack while hanging from it.

Down and jump makes you do a super jump that takes you up two and a half screens!
You can’t move left or right during a super jump so this is only useful when combined with the grappling hook.

It’s otherwise pretty simple. You have a slash attack with your blade. Bosses are big.
Standard action platformer fare, but I like it.

9 Likes

omg is this SPACE LANCE

3 Likes

I haven’t watched the Tekkaman shows, but they look rad.

I guess the grappling hook is actually a SPACE LARIAT.

1 Like

SPACE WINCH

1 Like

That color scheme is nice to look at.

1 Like