La vie en vert (GAME BOY thread)

Game BWAH

thank you

2 Likes

Woah, I think I need to try this since it sounds like it would get me into a nicer flow state.

1 Like

Is this…patois?

or is it like mwah

“gameboy” is short for “gamely boyputer”

4 Likes

i assume it’s an impression of ric flair referring to himself, THE NATURE BWAH

1 Like

“gameboy” is the younger brother of “walkman”

7 Likes

I had just been listening to some Ska earlier, you see

I also like this interpretation

And this one because the Game Boy is :chef kiss:

i watched a youtube essay one where the person SAID “chef’s kiss” and i had to lie down for a minute

3 Likes

So I knew I wasn’t going to be able to play or write anything for a couple of weeks. Leaving this thread dead for so long was all part of my master plan. That’s right!

I’m still playing FFL and it still rules. I think I’m at the final quarter. There are moments when I feel invincible, but then something threatens me and I just barely make it through to the next inn alive. While making my way up the tower’s spiral staircase, I ran into harpies who petrified my team members. I had no cures so they were essentially left dead. This is where the game’s generous save system comes in handy. The manual even suggests save scumming so I felt no remorse at doing it. The odd thing was, it still felt like I was gambling as I played, like I was pulling the lever of a slot machine to see if I could make it twenty steps farther. It was…good?

I went from a sea world to a sky world and I can’t wait to see what comes next.

10 Likes

It has earned a lifelong spot on my Retrogame!

when I was in single digits of age, on a family road trip to Flahrda I played a GB game with my cousin in the back of their huge blue van that I only barely remember (it was his not mine). It was a fighting game, I think — arena fighting? bull fighting themed? our respective Boys might’ve been linked cabled up, but maybe not. my memory sucks.

any guesses as to what it might’ve been, SB-mind?

maybe?

6 Likes

that… might be it! it fits the bill of my hazy memory (Bull themed Battle) pretty darn well.
but I seem to remember fisticuffs more than the robotic battling seen there.
I’d be interested in any other guesses.

Fist of the North Star?

3 Likes

it is possible, but not quite ringing the bell.

I wanna say that Battle Simulator: Flying Warriors had a bonud stage where you would have to jump over a charging bull and tag it with kicks.

1 Like

I’m near the end of Final Fantasy Legend and it feels like the game is bursting at its seams. Dialogues are clipping off and the slot machine nature of its battles is ramping up. This is no longer the breezily paced, surprisingly well-balanced game it has been.

Before I get into that, I want to describe a great moment I had while making my way up between worlds. I entered a micro-world with tentacled monsters squirming on parched ground. They all cried for water. I moved up a floor in the tower and found another micro-world. The people here were nearly drowning because all the trash they had littered made the water rise. I walked over to a spot where the garbage blocked a drain and fell through the plug. I was back in the first micro-world and all of the monsters were grateful that I had caused it to rain. I returned to the second place to find treasure chests had emerged from the retreated slush. I didn’t have to enter either of these rooms. They were just two doors among dozens in towering dungeon.

When I did get to the next full world, I learned that it was being assaulted by an invincible fire bird. Every few steps I made, it would attack me and all I could do was run. Eventually, I made it to a system of tunnels which led me to one of the few towns still standing. People warn me not to go to the bar because a gang will jump me. The same thing happened in the last world so I was prepared for anything. When I walked into the bar, the whole crew got mad at me but then pulled back and, suddenly, the gang leader became my best friend and told me I could use his hover bike whenever I wanted to.

After a poorly described sequence of errands, I’m now at a skyscraper leading to the final boss. Through this journey, I have relied almost wholly upon my mutant who can cast the “death” spell, which immediately kills all monsters in a group that aren’t undead or machines. It works well when I don’t have multiple groups to contend with. I tried to put my humans to work but I ran out of uses on their most powerful weapons and the “p-sword” and “l-saber” aren’t doing any damage. Even after I buy twenty strength pills and dose my guys, they still do nothing. I learn later online its because they read the character’s mana stat to do damage. I’ve since bought different weapons that are much better suited to my guys but it was a grueling hour.

I really wanted to beat the game before 2022 but I don’t think it’s going to be possible with how battles are starting to feel.

Next month, I’m going to move on to games from 1990. I’ll post a list for everyone who wants to play something here and there before then.

13 Likes