jonathan blows the witness

Ha, that’s neat. I actually sort of liked the last greenhouse puzzle, it made me actually write some things down; I went through all the floors and kept track of which squares had ever been different from each other, then sectioned them all off. I wasn’t about to try and figure out the color for each one of them, though

Inside the mountain spoilers! For the first puzzles on the wall I was really annoyed that the cursor was slightly off from where it was supposed to be. Then I got to the next puzzle in the series and went “ohhhh”. This area feels pretty neat so far; I really like the purple path mechanic. It also almost feels like I fell off the island and into a Portal test chamber or something.

The third nontrivial greenhouse puzzle was giving me a headache, so I took a photo of the puzzle, downloaded an Android app called FilterGrid, and applied a purple filter on it. How’s that for lateral thinking!

EDIT: I just figured out the intended way to solve the puzzle, I’m an idiot. Originally I thought I was supposed to go up one floor and memorize the effect of the purple filter, and/or mentally reason about the filter effect.

1 Like

Well, that’s not really true. The achievements for activating the beacons don’t necessarily give place names exactly, but they could easily give you a vocabulary to do so. I kind of really hate them for that reason.

Oh weird; there are only two achievements on Steam and they don’t spoil anything. They’re literally called “Endgame” and “Challenge”.

2 Likes

well, I’ve got five beacons, but I’ve still made almost no progress in the desert or the village, I don’t know what the obelisks do, and I’m trying to figure out how to get to the treetops.

Oh, that was easy. Huh. I feel like I’m on the verge of solving the game’s seven simplest beacons (if indeed there are more than seven), since that’s what seems to be required to open the way to the later areas, but I haven’t uncovered any of its real secrets…

also, despite finally reaching the tutorial area for the little star shapes I have no idea what it’s trying to tell me

lol the piss jug is in the game i can’t fucking believe it

anyway

i was stuck in the village for a long time, to the point where i was checking back regularly and wondering if there was some reason i actually couldn’t do the puzzles yet. and then they all came in an avalanche

i’m finished with all the beacons and 429 [spoiler]+40

i’m really not too compelled by the + part of the game, i guess, though that might be because i expect that filling the pillars up doesn’t do anything but fill the pillars up. [/spoiler]

I’m impressed by how much of this game’s lock/key structure is implemented purely through viewing angle

going to bed, 280-something, but I think I’m <30 away from lighting beacons six and seven.

I’m at 436+110+1. Things are becoming pretty hard. There’s one puzzle in the village that doesn’t look like anything I know (EDIT: or so I thought!). I think I’ve got all the yellow boxes I know of now.

Since Felix is mentioning the simplest area, it’s interesting how that varies from person to person to some extent. Hang on though! You’ll figure out the stars eventually. It’s kinda funny too, at first I misunderstood what the black and white boxes meant, had something way too complex in mind, it’s only later in the stars area that I realized what they really were about.

I just got my wife to look at the stars for a minute and tell me what it was, I was probably too fatigued by that point after having already turned on two other beacons in the same evening but I didn’t feel like packing it in yet because it was my first Friday with the game.

Just under a week left to finish this in time for xcom 2! Geez, I can’t believe I’m back to paying attention to new releases at the rate I did in like 2004 – at my gaming-interest nadir in like 2008 I never expected that to happen again – and I think it’s due as much to my having disposable income again to stuff having gotten a lot better.

I’m enjoying reading this thread. It’s like a mixture of basic collectathon chitchat and completely indecipherable in-the-know game archaeology. Kinda makes me think of that fake Souls thread Sleezy or whoever made years ago.

I am so mad that I’m at my parents’ this weekend and away from my games. I totally need a piece of advice but have to be in front of the thing to ask it. Y’all are gonna leave me on the dust :frowning:

Well, I finally broke down in the mountain and made myself some Tetris pieces.

Solved it within 5 minutes of making them. They definitely helped me reconsider a line of thinking that I had dismissed earlier.

Also, I don’t recommend using a metal ruler with ink; it got a little messy! I shouldn’t have ended the search for pencils prematurely.

4 Likes

There are some really good puzzles in the mountain! I “beat” the game (and that ending is uh something).

Guess I’m gonna go solve more puzzles!

six beacons, 300 puzzles, and for some reason I can’t figure out how to progress farther in the treetops, though I’ve solved every puzzle that’s available to me. but that seventh is close enough for me to taste.

aaaa I’m in the mountain

there are 10 beacons total, right? because I’ve done nothing in the desert and very little in the village and the temple, but I think I’ve cleared almost every other area I could find. oh, the ship, but I assumed that was just a one-off I couldn’t clear probably concealing a film code like the two I already have, which is also what I think is going on down behind the door at the end of the desert.

Yeah, I think there’s ten. Haven’t found any more.

Gate88> congrats!

there are 11 lasers

I’ve been playing this for like 5 hours, then I got to the kitchen to drink some milk. I was using my phone’s flashlight, and it casted a shadow of my roommate’s hookah (these things are terrible by the way), creating a pommel-like shadow on the wall.

Of course I activated the shadow and unlocked strange drawings on a nearby obelisk near my apartment

5 Likes

Oh right, Two were overlapping from my vantage point.

Speaking of the beacons, spoiler for the northeast marsh area: anyone noticed they form angel wings for the stone woman?

I’m up to 442+121+2 and really liking that even as I am running out of puzzles and feeling stuck I’m still solving things at regular intervals.