jonathan blows the witness

one jug of urine is probably enough for me

1 Like

Well, I figured out what to do with all the beacons lit. Not sure where it’s going to lead, but I’m interested again.

Broco> I’ve seen it too, that’s the frog fractiony thing I was talking about

I mean, keep in mind that I for one missed those audio logs entirely and the core experience of playing the game is very good – intensely smart and thorough puzzle design and a really nice environment to explore.

I agree that “freshman philosophy” writing is a big problem in games like this that are trying to be smart. blow didn’t help himself when he tried namedropping gravity’s rainbow in an interview recently (particularly after it was clear that wasn’t a joke, because it would’ve been a pretty good joke), because gravity’s rainbow is actually funny and clever and does not take itself too seriously, and it’s also an issue with tom jubert’s work in my experience, though the swapper similarly succeeded on straightforward design and aesthetics even if the obvious references to dennett made me wince. as I said, I honestly don’t think the witness would’ve been harmed by being more narratively forthcoming. but braid was a pretty straightforward game that told a weird/dumb story about stalking a woman, and the comparative volume of work that went into this one is far from wasted just because of a narrative that’s (arguably) alternately overbearing and vague.

(not to undercut braid’s success at teaching puzzles mechanics satisfying and succinctly, or hellman’s art!)

I’m actually sympathetic to the idea of dropping in a bunch of quotes and clips of smart people monologuing on the themes you want to convey – “only connect” and all of that – and calling it a story. but, again, blow does himself few favours.

I also want to float the possibility that we’re basically accusing a person who may be on the autism spectrum of being somewhat gauche and passing that off as criticism, which may not be the best possible approach

But he did do the legwork. That makes them a mildly irritating wart more than a game-sinking weakness.

Also, the quotes are not really from Important People. They’re carefully selected lines (carefully selected to be on-the-nose, that is) from people who mostly barely qualify for their own Wikipedia article. They’re irritating, but at least none of them is from Einstein.

Heh, one of them is literally Einstein.

I ignored whatever narrative was in this game, much like I ignored whatever narrative was in Braid.

1 Like

…

I should’ve known.

1 Like

I don’t think he said that.

Just like how people shouldn’t have dismissed the puzzles as “just being mazes”, you should preferably hear all the audio logs before passing judgement on them. I’m not saying it’s earth shattering but there’s a tiny bit more to them narratively than meets the eye (the ear?).

My score is up to 518+132+4 and I’ve got both achievements. The game offered me two very different takes on climactic moments one after the other and I like it all the more for it. one puzzle seemed kinda like trolling at first but it’s some of the finest trolling you’ll ever experience and it pays tribute to something I like a lot and aspire to game design-wise.

Now I must hunt for the last crumbs I’m missing. Those are on the mountain obelisk, one that kinda looks like an open door with the circle at its feet, with its placement suggesting it’s in the tetramino area. The other two are on the town obelisk. One looks a bit like a ruined house top’s silhouette that should be in town, and the other is a line from left to right with a square indentation that should be around the starting area. I think there must be something more because right now I know something I can’t account for. So it’s a puzzle drought again but having come this far, how could I bring myself to look them up?

Once all is said and done we’re gonna have to resurrect the Icebergvania topic, there’s some serious food for thought in this game.

3 Likes

that is not at all what I was saying. I was trying to point out that the linked criticism you’re enthusiastically endorsing without having played the game or engaging with the discussion already here seems to only address the tone (and one facet of it at that), which in the context of this game is not that significant, and does so by pointing out something that blow is consistently, stereotypically bad at.

we have a whole other vocabulary to perhaps articulate why he succeeds in this medium but seems poorly suited to others. I think we’re laying it on a little thick in cases like these. I’m not saying we need to treat him with a beautiful mind-style kid gloves, but the paste magazine piece seems willfully obtuse.

Since you mentioned Frog Fractions, it reminds me of Frog Fractions’ creator’s GDC talk on how to create a sense of mystery in your game: Video: Frog Fractions creator finds value in keeping secrets . Key points are “exclusion [i.e. accepting some large proportion of players will miss content] is a strength” and have “false ceilings”.

2 Likes

I think I’ve found what is the final challenge in the game. It’s uhhh really fucking hard. I tried for like two hours on it. I’m making progress, so I don’t think it’s unbeatable, but shit man. I think I know exactly how it works, it’s just a matter of actually doing it. @Chevluh, you’ve beaten this? Holy fuck.

Holy shit this fucking astronaut monologue doesn’t fucking end. It is literally ten minutes long.

I just found two tapes. I hope I will never find any more. This shit is terrible.

1 Like

Well, I kind of liked the one in the shipwreck. It’s the only one whose tone isn’t either reverent or didactic. It’s also less obvious how exactly it thematically connects to the rest of the game.

oh yeah, I did find that one! totally forgot. That one and Richard Feynman talking about wine, which my wife thought was hilariously insufferable

Yeah by the end of the astronaut one, both my wife and I were punctuating each momentary pause with our best impression of Julianne Moore in Magnolia saying “shutthefuckup” over and over.