jarpeegees you beat

In any case the correct term is “jerpegs” imo

way too many when i was a babby

not going to apologise for finishing nocturne more than once mind

• Thousand Year Door
  • Frolf

End of list

1 Like

Yeah, seeing how many more JRPGs I’ve finished than most people here makes me feel like a true degenerate! I’m sure I couldn’t even think of half of the ones I’ve finished, but it’s dozens. By decade I’ve finished more in the 90s > 00s > this decade.

The list of JRPGs I’ve finished more than once is short though, so I can list that!

• Final Fantasy IV (for a long time it was one of only 2 SNES games I owned, along with Super Star Wars, so I’d just play it again and again)
  • Lunar: original Sega CD version, then again on PS1

As for my most recent completions:

• FFXIII, which I finally picked up again in like October and continued from a ~75% 2-3 year old save. Ended up finishing it.
  • I think FFXI counts! In November the final storyline/mission content was released (no plans for any more major story expansions/updates) and I finished that.

Currently actively playing:

• Fire Emblem Awakening - I’m sure I’ll finish this before the new FE game in March
  • Yakuza 1 - Yes, this series is definitely JRPG - random encounters, typical JRPG NPC quests, leveling up, etc. I’m about 2/3 done and want to finish it next week, and plan to play Yakuza 2 next.
  • Dragon Quest VI (DS) - not very far in, and will probably get distracted at some point.

Oh shit if Yakuza counts, then put me down for beating 1 through 3. I need to beat 4 now that 5 got a US release.

I’m only posting the ones I don’t regret

Metal Saga
Xenogears
FF Tactics
Front Mission…3? Let’say 3
Romancing Saga
Dragon Quarter
Nocturne
Persona 4

I’m regretting pretty well I see

1 Like

Oh man Lunar. And Yakuza 1 and 2. And River City Ransom.

And Destiny 1.0.

final fantasy i, ii (i think?), iv, v, vi, vii, viii, ix, x, xii, xiii
dragon quest i-ix
dragon quest monsters
legend of the river king
pokemon r/b/y, silver, ruby, fire red, diamond, soul silver, black, y, moon
phantasy star
mario rpg
lufia
final fantasy legend iii
breath of fire
dragon quarter
chrono trigger
chrono cross
live a live
mother 2
mother 3
tales of symphonia
blue dragon
lost odyssey
star ocean 2
wild arms
nocturne
smtiv
persona 3
persona 4
paper mario
mario and luigi: game boy advance
mario and luigi: bowser eats them, or something
golden sun
golden sun ii

+mystic quest, secret of mana, lots of other stuff that people have mentioned that don’t necessarily strike me as rpgs

1. FF6
  2. Earthbound
  3. Quest 64 (rules)
  4. Dragon Quest V
  5. Mario and Luigi: Bowsers Inside Story
  6. Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes
  7. Mother 3

Currently Playing:

1. Persona 4 (37 hours in)

To Play List (In order of importance):

1. Nocturne
  2. Blue Dragon
  3. Lost Odyssey
  4. Dragon Quarter
  5. Dragon Quest 8
  6. SMT 3

Looking Forward To:

1. Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth

Hmmm I’ve played a lot of them over the years but only rarely finished them all the way to the credits.

Final Fantasy VII in 1998 on a PS1
Final Fantasy IX in 2000-2001 on a PS1
Earthbound on an SNES in 2008-9 (?) memory is murky on this one but I know I finished it
Mass Effect 3 in 2015 on a PS3 (totally fits the description of a jrpg even if it isn’t actually Japanese)
Dragon Quest in 2015 on iOS
Dragon Quest II in 2015 on iOS

Uh that’s all I can think of right now. The list of JRPGs I’ve started, played for a while and then never picked up again is a lot longer.

Traditional:

• Barkley Gaiden
  • Chrono Trigger and Cross
  • Destiny of an Emperor
  • Dragon Warrior 1, 2, 3, 4, and 8
  • Final Fantasy 1, 4, 6, 7, 9, 10, 12, Legend, and Tactics
  • Mario and Luigi
  • Paladin’s Quest
  • Paper Mario 1 and 2
  • Skies of Arcadia
  • Space Funeral
  • Super Mario RPG
  • Undertale

Tactical:

• Disgaea
  • Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn
  • Growlanser 2 and 3
  • Phantom Brave
  • Soul Nomad

Action/Borderline:

• Castlevania: Symphony, Circle, and Harmony
  • Crystalis
  • Demon’s Souls 1-3
  • Faxanadu
  • Final Fantasy Adventure and Mystic Quest
  • Secret of Mana
  • StarTropics
  • Zelda 1, 3, Ocarina, Mask, Wind Waker, Twilight
  • YS 1, 2, Felghana

I might be forgetting something.

Edit: Added a few indie games I had forgotten.

And I will also do whatever and mention real quick that I saw the credits roll in Mystic Quest (GB), Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore and Terranigma. And the Zeldas are probably more action adventure than ARPG, but it’s okay, I am not ashamed that I played through ALttP, LA and OoT. And I actually got Mystic Quest together with Wario Land as my first video games ever. I was a pretty smart kid sometimes I guess. Played my Game Boy a lot while I was in hospital when they tried to save my undescended testicle.

Also yeah Igavanias, why not. I kicked Dracula’s ass in SotN and AoS. And in SotN twice even, because I also played the Saturn version for the Underground Garden. And I also got the item duplicator, farming gold for too many hours, because I am stupid. And I am playing HoD atm, and loving it. And I wanna get a DS and DoS, PoR and OoE afterwards, because I somehow missed them back when Konami was still alive. And CotM isn’t a “true” Igavania I guess. Though I already played and liked that a lot. But man, that game is hard. Too hard for me.

And oh boy SRPG is maybe my favorite XRPG genre, which makes me wonder why I only ever sticked with Front Mission 3 till the very end? (Only one storyline, didn’t even realize there were two until years later.) Maybe it’s only my favorite type of XRPG in theory? I had Vandal Hearts 2 back then as well, but it was so gosh darn slow. In FM3 I could just skip-a-dee-skip all the animations. And I tried a lot of SRPGs since, but most of them failed at being fast enough to satisfy my minuscule attention span. I really like it when things GO FAST. Like in Fire Emblem (with battle animations off). It is so snappy, it is delightful. Too bad I am stuck at Final Chapter because I lost more party members than I can count. But no hard feelings, I just ebayed Sword of Seals as a Christmas gift to myself.

Think the most obscure ones I’ve beaten are Bahamut Lagoon and Robotrek on that SNES

Which is the best Super Robot Wars game, assuming such a thing exists?

there are multiple jrpgs where i quit on the last boss/area, less due to difficulty than an alcoholic-style moment of clarity. this includes chrono trigger /:

master of the wind (eventually someone else will play this)
earthbound
mother 3
dark souls if we’re counting that

hmmm

could have sworn there were more

1 Like

I like how apparently everyone on these forums has at least beaten earthbound and mother 3, even if they don’t ever play rpgs

2 Likes

WildARMs
Final Fantasy VI
Xenogears
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy X
Chrono Trigger
EarthBound
Mother 3
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter

The first one that comes to mind is Xenogears.

I really liked that game, and I never found it difficult. I had the god robots at the end and all.

But somehow something happened that made entering the final dungeon impossible for some reason. I think it had something to do with me spending all of my money to completely upgrade my mechs, because I knew it was the end of the game. But then at the end, there’s some part you need to buy to be able the last dungeon? Or something? For some reason, I had kind of screwed myself, and rather than fight a bunch of random battles or something I just put it down.

I don’t think I actually fought the Elite Four in the first Pokemon for some reason? I know I never got MewTwo. I did that stuff in Silver/Gold. I think I just was never interested in doing it in the first one.

Actually, I don’t think I beat the final dungeon in FFVII either. I might have also saved at a weird place or something. I had already seen the ending cinema when my brother beat it, so I was like, “Whatever.”

xenogears’ final dungeon had the best music in the game though

SD Gundam G Generations

Which reminds me, I beat G Gen DS too.

But picking a best SRW is indeed nebulous, since there’s all sorts of things that contribute to one’s enjoyment beyond the base plot and mechanics, and maybe matter even more than those given the inherent fan-service nature of the games, including the included series and how the weave them together, the visuals, and so on.

SRW 3 might be the best from a masochistic perspective.

i think i completed dungeon maker on ds